Sign in to follow this  
JFife

sanders

Question

Does anyone have a hand-held (palm) sander that spins in a full circle, similar to a buffer?? I found a Makita, but it large and heavy, and could not be used with one hand, and costs around $300. I'd like something the size of a palm orbital that spins. Any suggestions??

18 answers to this question

Black and Decker makes whats called a mouse sander and they are great. they do fit in one hand but do not rotate, they vibrate, but very effective. I have one and it is very lightweight. It is great for hard to reach areas. The only down side is that it is very small, about the size of your hand. But I like it. Some may disagree with me that I think everyone should have one since you can't always get a belt sander in tight corners and such.

I've never like palm orbitals due to their slow speed, but I've found that it they spin they work rapidly, and would be an exceptional tool. Problem is, I cannot find one in a decent size like an orbital. The Mouse sanders are convenient, but slow like an orbital.

Jon, I use my Milwaukee 4 1/2 " angle grinder with an random orbital head attachment...at 10,000 rpm's its pretty quick. Only problem is you can only use it with one hand for a short time. But its fast for certain applications. Why do you have to have one hand use?..reaching over on a ladder work?

Dale,

Right, just ease of use on a ladder, etc. And lighter is nice. I've been scouring the 'net, and the closest thing i've found is an air tool, but is small and is a rotary sander. The search continues.......

Beth,

do they spin/rotate or just do that orbital/shimmer/vibrate thingy?? I am looking for something that continuosly spins--and if what you are saying is true--then that is what I need.

www.dynabrade.com

Thanks Scrub-a-dub,

So are you using air power??? I found very little on their site for electric, called them, and didn't find out much. Do you have a model # of what you are using?? Let me define again what I am looking for in case we got our wires crossed---

Size/shape of a palm orbital, but is rotary instead of orbital, electric, 4-6"

With that definition, is that still what you say you are using??

thanks a lot for the help,

jon

Jon, I know you're looking for a rotary, but Porter Cable makes a good orbital that does 6000rpms. Has pretty good power. Maybe look at a 4 inch angle grinder, they're actually pretty light, very powerful though at 10000 plus rpms. You're right about the little air powered sanders, I've done the footwork on them, used one hooked up to a 185 CFM compressor, the innards have a check to not allow you to abuse them, shucks. Even with that much air flow, not enough power, as soon as you lean on it a little, it would stop moving and let the air bypass. Keep in mind I was using 60 grit on cedar to sand smooth cob blasted wood.

Long time, no see Littlefield!! I've officially given up the search for a rotary palm. I have, however, found a new pad that you can use on a 4" angle grinder, etc, that looks very promising. Make for RAPID fuzz and stain removal, but I'm still testing, etc. I may try and sell them for a while before everyone jumps on the bandwagon. How's work been going for you??