Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Abrams

Trex decks

Question

I understand that Penofine has a product to stain Trex decks. I was wondering if any of you actually stained a trex deck. If so, how did it come out? Any pro's con's problems, etc.. Would you or do you sell sealing of trex decks? Are there any other products out there for sealing trex? P.S. how long did the product last? One coat application? Thanks everyone.

6 answers to this question

Do you meana semitransparent oil? Never have, don't plan to. Maintenance wash is all it needs.

The only thing we did that came close to that, was a reapplication of a solid that the homeowner wanted us to maintain...blue and grey...to match the siding.

Beth

I understand that Penofine has a product to stain Trex decks. I was wondering if any of you actually stained a trex deck. If so, how did it come out? Any pro's con's problems, etc.. Would you or do you sell sealing of trex decks? Are there any other products out there for sealing trex? P.S. how long did the product last? One coat application? Thanks everyone.

I maintain a Choice deck which is similar to Trex.I re-stain it every 2 years and the homeowners couldn't be happier.Here is the thread i have it in.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3491&highlight=choice+composite+decking

When I was down at the PWNA convention in Columbus, I met with a rep from Gemini (maker of TWP) to find out more about their CPR product.

They now carry a complete line of repair and restoration products for composite decks.

It looked very promising to me. Check out the website....http://www.compositeproductsrepair.com

I worked in a lumber yard as a manager when alot of this started being sold in my area.

The reasons I heard the most from customers was:

#1 No splinters

#2 No Rotting

#3 The Jones had it.

#4 Wouldn't dent or scrath like wood, if the kid dropped something.

#5 Everyone was becoming afraid of treated lumber (Getting sick from poisoning)

#6 The color and texture

#7 Cedar tended to attract wasps as we noticed alot in the lumber yard.

Soon customers realized:

#1 The stuff will bow and crack if heavy oblects as in hot tubs are left in certain spots of the deck too long.

#2 Needed more wood underneath for supporting anyways. wasn't cheap

#3 That plastic will fade if in the sun and change color. As in anything. Shade and sun mixed looked funny.

#4 Trex also faded in the yard, so we had to keep it covered so it wouldn't look mixmatched on a deck until it could fade. People did come back and complain about the fading saying they were not told.

#5 Only certain colors are available, wont match the house is a good reason for staining. Has faded now and won't match the house is another.

#6 Wood composites need staining and protection just like real wood. Some were told that it couldn't be stained, but now they say it should be. Hmmmmm.

#7 Almost forgot the maintenance free part. We all know this is false for most of the composites.

#8 Nothing will grow on the deck or damage the finish, and never needed cleaning. Soon some started seeing spots on the wood in full sun areas, and we know what that is. Right Everett LOL

The list goes on, but you get my view since I have heard alot of it.