Sign in to follow this  
mikew

Cleaned Patio - not sure about results....

Question

Hi Everyone,

I cleaned my patio today. I wanted to share my results to get your advice and opinions. I am attaching pictures of the concrete dirty, half cleaned, and cleaned.

Observations:

1. Now that the concrete has dried... it really is not completely clean. It is in places but not in others. It might be hard to tell in the pictures. (Ignore the mud prints from my dog!!). I used the xjet to apply concrete cleaner and allowed to dwell for 5 - 10 minutes and then started cleaning. Wondering if I should have brushed the surface?? Does anyone else brush the surface??

2. Why does the concrete have the grey areas? This is the first time it has been cleaned in 8 years (since new). I see other concrete like this as well. For example the concrete around our neighborhood pool looks this way as well. Did I damage the concrete? I don't think I did. Washwater remained clear (no grey color). I also varied the distance of my wand to the concrete to learn the best technique.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

post-936-137772145232_thumb.jpg

post-936-137772145236_thumb.jpg

post-936-137772145239_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

Looks real good! With the grey spots, you really need to try to get a close up. From the picture its a little hard to tell what it could be from that distance.

Thanks CCPC.

Here are 2 more pictures. 1 that is a closeup of the grey places and the other a closeup that shows it didn't come completely clean.

Should I have scrubbed lightly with a hard brush? Does anyone else do this? Do you ever have to go over concrete a second time to get it completely clean?

Thanks,

Mike

post-936-137772145251_thumb.jpg

post-936-137772145254_thumb.jpg

what chemicals did you use to clean with? I'm uncertain what the grey spots are, could be just some discoloration which would be tough to do anything about. As for the areas that didn't come clean, it looks like it could be tanin stains in which bleach would be the answer.

Mike-

We're in this business to clean concrete, not create miracles. Your concrete looks fine. The discoloration could be due to mineral stains that you did not see before because the concrete was so dirty. When you wash, just be careful not to expose the aggregate of the concrete. Almost all concrete has a "cream" or "butter" on the top. Amatuers destroy the cream. Professionals leave the cream intact and clean to the best of their ability. When you apply chems make sure to mist the concrete first with water, apply your chem and wash before it dries.

Looks to me like oil that has penitrated the concrete. You can lay down some microbiotics to get it cleaner over a long period. They penitrate the concrete and eat the oil. Oil usually penitrates 6-8 inches into the concrete. It does not come off with just water and topical chemical.

The gray spots look to be in the cure of the concrete and it is doubtful they will ever come out. The brown in the contrast pic can either be tannin stains or sand that rose to the top from to much water in the pour.

Try the bleach and if the brown comes out, then it is tannin, and if it stays it is sand. Either way, you need to look at the before and after and focus on that. I always tell customers that have really dirty concrete that it may have slight color variations that are not noticeable under all that grime.

CCPC,

I used Qwic Clean Concrete Cleaner from Sub Brite Supply.

Craig,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Last thing that I want to do is destroy someone's concrete.

Alan,

The grey spots look to be part of the concrete "cure" to me as well. I like the idea of warning customers that color variations may exist under all of that grime. I'll give the bleach a try to see if it is tannin stains.

Thanks!

Mike

Looks to me like oil that has penitrated the concrete. You can lay down some microbiotics to get it cleaner over a long period. They penitrate the concrete and eat the oil. Oil usually penitrates 6-8 inches into the concrete. It does not come off with just water and topical chemical.

Tronman,

It really looks to me to be part of the "cure" as Alan called it. When you say oil are you thinking of motor oil? This concrete is my patio that has only seen foot traffic from my family and pets.

Thanks!

Mike

Looks like cure or age to me.When looking at original pictures it is splotchy before you cleaned it. Naturally when you clean these color variations they will pass through to the clean concrete.

Scott

What is the proper way to apply the bleach?

Do I let the concrete dry first?

Do I need to dilute my 12% before application or can I apply straight with a pump up sprayer?

Is a light misting of the concrete all that is required?

Do I need to rinse?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike give me a call. We are doing a house,driveway, and patio in Duluth about 4:30 and you are welcome to tag along and see how we do some things. Just offering to help you out.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

What is the proper way to apply the bleach?

Do I let the concrete dry first?

Do I need to dilute my 12% before application or can I apply straight with a pump up sprayer?

Is a light misting of the concrete all that is required?

Do I need to rinse?

Thanks!

Mike

I like to apply the chlorine to damp clean concrete. I would suggest dilluting it to a 50/50 concentrate. apply a thin, but not to thin, layer over the concrete, put it on a little heavier on the bad spots, wait a couple of minutes and see what you've got. That should take care on tannin stains, if in fact that is what the stains are. The reason I like to apply the chlorine to wet concrete is it seems to spread the chemical better and it allows it time to work without drying out, but make sure there is no puddles of water because the chlorine will dillute to much to be effective in those areas. I prefer usually to not rinse, just because I don't see the need for it on concrete. Once the chlorine is allowed to dry for a few hours, it becomes virtually harmless. You can acctually rub the concrete and feel the salts the the chlorine has transformed into. Of course you want to be carful walking on freshly sprayed concrete for a while, as not to track it into the house and stain the carpets.

I like to apply the chlorine to damp clean concrete. I would suggest dilluting it to a 50/50 concentrate. apply a thin, but not to thin, layer over the concrete, put it on a little heavier on the bad spots, wait a couple of minutes and see what you've got. That should take care on tannin stains, if in fact that is what the stains are. The reason I like to apply the chlorine to wet concrete is it seems to spread the chemical better and it allows it time to work without drying out, but make sure there is no puddles of water because the chlorine will dillute to much to be effective in those areas. I prefer usually to not rinse, just because I don't see the need for it on concrete. Once the chlorine is allowed to dry for a few hours, it becomes virtually harmless. You can acctually rub the concrete and feel the salts the the chlorine has transformed into. Of course you want to be carful walking on freshly sprayed concrete for a while, as not to track it into the house and stain the carpets.

Hi CCPC,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Mike

I saw this yesterday with a brand new driveway,was told by the contractor that it was due to it raining on it before it fully cured,was covered by plastic thus causing some of the patterns.I dont know but sounds good

Mike give me a call. We are doing a house,driveway, and patio in Duluth about 4:30 and you are welcome to tag along and see how we do some things. Just offering to help you out.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for letting me tag along yesterday. It was really helpful to see the cleaning being done by someone allready in the business.

Thanks again,

Mike

How about the idea it was concrete sealer gone bad lol.

or did someone stain the deck before with a clear and walk back and forth from deck to truck ?

Looking at the pictures I 'd have to say the marks were some how attached to the concrete after the place mats were put down. Looking at the photos I see no discoloring where the floor mats are. Leading me to think It was something other than concrete curing.