Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Roof cleaning Pic

Question

15 answers to this question

Nice job!! And thanks for the input on the trailer.Thats a pretty nice looking trailer with all the advertising on it.That is the same exact trailer I was looking at 7'x14' Haulmark with the barn doors.

Nice job!! And thanks for the input on the trailer.Thats a pretty nice looking trailer with all the advertising on it.That is the same exact trailer I was looking at 7'x14' Haulmark with the barn doors.

That's what I have also, and I love it. Plenty of room for what I need (though there 's NEVER enough room for all the stuff I COULD put in there), tows well, not too big...never had a problem getting it turned around, backed down a driveway, or into a residential neighborhood. Anything bigger and I think it'd be too big (for me at least).

When it comes time to replace this one, it will be with another 7x14 Haulmark, though this time I'll have the floor and at least part of the walls sprayed with the spray-in bedliner material.

I have learned that yes, chlorine DOES eat aluminum!

What is your process? I tried one the other day on a brown shingle asphalt roof, and it didn't work that well. I just experimented putting strait 6% bleach on the roof with shurflo. I just rinsed a little with a hose and it didn't get rid of the stain. I'm not going to charge until it works obviously, so any help in process would be appreciated!! I borrowed a pitchwitch for my next go around. Will this change anything? HELP !! Thanks, Nick

What is your process? I tried one the other day on a brown shingle asphalt roof, and it didn't work that well. I just experimented putting strait 6% bleach on the roof with shurflo. I just rinsed a little with a hose and it didn't get rid of the stain. I'm not going to charge until it works obviously, so any help in process would be appreciated!! I borrowed a pitchwitch for my next go around. Will this change anything? HELP !! Thanks, Nick

Using straight 6% with a shurflo should have given you great results. I usually apply 10.5% at about 60-70% ratio with water and haven't had anything bad enough on asphalt shingles that this ratio hasn't worked great on. maybe the bleach you were using wasn't fresh, just a thought.

Using straight 6% with a shurflo should have given you great results. I usually apply 10.5% at about 60-70% ratio with water and haven't had anything bad enough on asphalt shingles that this ratio hasn't worked great on. maybe the bleach you were using wasn't fresh, just a thought.

Ditto that. I use anywhere between a 3% and 7% sodium hypochlorite solution and get great, virtually immediate results. You may have to re-apply in heavier areas to get rid of the brown/yellowish haze that will be left after the first application. Typically, I use a 5% or so solution.

check with your local pool supply/chemical supply/ag supply places to see if you can find a liquid sodium hypochlorite solution between 10 and 15%...it's much cheaper and easier to use than buying bleach in gallon jugs.

I don't like the pitch witch because you're using too much pressure on the roof. You should be able to rinse with a garden hose or similar pressure.

How heavy do you apply the chlorine? I put plenty on I thought, but it evaporated very quickly. how long do you leave it on? do you rinse before it evaporates or after? It started steaming literally right after applied it with the shurflo. The pitch witch would have been my last option too, but I might try it if all else fails, which it might have. I just got great value ultra bleach right off the shelf and right on the roof basically. These buildings have been around for a long time, It looks like the same stuff as in your pics Degraffreed, although I'm not sure. I sprayed bleach directly on them and it fizzed up, but most of the stains are still there, Any more help would be appreciated for this roof rookie. Thanks, Nick

How heavy do you apply the chlorine? I put plenty on I thought, but it evaporated very quickly. how long do you leave it on? do you rinse before it evaporates or after? It started steaming literally right after applied it with the shurflo. The pitch witch would have been my last option too, but I might try it if all else fails, which it might have. I just got great value ultra bleach right off the shelf and right on the roof basically. These buildings have been around for a long time, It looks like the same stuff as in your pics Degraffreed, although I'm not sure. I sprayed bleach directly on them and it fizzed up, but most of the stains are still there, Any more help would be appreciated for this roof rookie. Thanks, Nick

If flash drying is a problem, try wetting down the roof before applying your chem. Wetting it down will not only keep it wet from the added moister, but more importantly it will cool the roof which should give you a surface temp which will allow the chlorine to have more time to work. When applying, the ideal coverage is to coat the roof with enough chlorine to thourghly saturate the algea, while maintaining the least amount of run off. If your chlorine coat is noticably running down the roof your either applying it to fast for it to saturate, or applying to much to a given area.

If flash drying is a problem, try wetting down the roof before applying your chem. Wetting it down will not only keep it wet from the added moister, but more importantly it will cool the roof which should give you a surface temp which will allow the chlorine to have more time to work. When applying, the ideal coverage is to coat the roof with enough chlorine to thourghly saturate the algea, while maintaining the least amount of run off. If your chlorine coat is noticably running down the roof your either applying it to fast for it to saturate, or applying to much to a given area.

Or start earlier in the day, before the roof has a chance to get that hot. The hotter the roof, the heavier you'll need to coat it to prevent it from evaporating before it can work. You can also do as CCPC says and wet it down to cool it off, but then you're walking a wet algae covered roof, which can be pretty dang slippery. I've rescheduled steeper roof jobs simply because it was a wet dewey morning and the roof was very damp...Just not worth the risk of slipping. Even if you don't fall OFF the roof, those shingles can do a real number on your elbows, knuckles, palms, etc if you fall ON the roof. Suffice it to say that polybraided hose is VERY slippery when wet with chlorine. Don't step on the dang thing while on the roof! :eek: