Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

epoxy resin remover

Question

Does anyone know what will remove epoxy resin from concrete? Guy says that he dropped some while working on his jet ski and then tracked it around.

Have not seen it yet, but will go tomorrow, and would like to have some ideas.

Thank you

18 answers to this question

Chisel?

My first choice would be to try Isopropyl Alcohol (make sure you pour some on the epoxy also) should work best as it breaks down the Epoxy Resin.

We used Acetone in boat building. MEK should also work, but the problem you may have with solvent based cleaners is the actual clean up (as in removal from the concrete - depending on how pourus it is). Kind of like smearing paint around with a rag.

The Norac Co. Inc. makes an emulsifier cleaner that works also they are in CA. (818) 334-2908.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the info Paul. I tried Acetone and laquer thinner with no dramatic results. Also tried Strypeze, which is Acetone, Methylene Chloride, and toluene. A little better, but not by much.

Is MEK Methylene Chloride? Or are they different? I can vacuum evrything up, so no problem with the mess, as long as it gets this Resin out.

Called that number you gave, but it is out of service, will check for a website on them.

Alcohol, as in rubbing alcohol? That sounds to easy, but will try that too. After the test, I was hoping to find an answer and return tomorrow. Any othe rsuggestions??

Thanks again

The product name is "Rez Away" and it looks like companies may have changed hands or ??? but anyway, Paradigm Labs (888) 933-4554 out of Pine Grove, PA - if they don't sell it, they can tell you a distributor for it.

Another option would be to find out the exact product your customer was mixing and find a local boat repair shop that repairs hulls and give them a call. The product manufacturer may also be a good source for clean up info.

Paul,

The product is called West Systems 105 and I called over a dozen boat places that are dealers for this product, and they all said the same thing. In various words, the basic answer was they do not know, as West Systems does not make a remover, and of course the Company was closed for the weekend. The label stses Acetone and Laquer thinner, but that is for fresh spills.

I will wait until Monday, and see what they can tell me. Funny thing is that this guy is really anxious to remove this stuff from the driveway. He is not concerned with the Rust or Oil spots, just this Resin, and it is not all that bad, as compared to the other Stains. He wants to pay me whatever it takes to get this out.

Iw ill look into the Rez Away also.

Beth,

Did not try the Goof Off, figuring that if the Strypeze did not work, it would not either. Will add that to the Alcohol list, and whatever else I can muster up for the next test.

Our resin clean-up was always fairly fresh. Once the hardener sets up it is a tough cookie to break down - that is why I said "chisel".

We used epoxy to "weld" cracked metal (emergency care only). It can be machined, and is stronger than steel at lower temperatures. Of course Epoxy Resin is a bit different, but still a tough nut to crack.

Try the purest Isopropyl Alcohol and keep soaking it for about 10-15 minutes. Again, depending on what kind of hardener is used will determine what will break it down. The hardest part is keeping it soaked since most of the effective solutions also evaporate fast. You may want to cover it with plastic (if it doesn't it thru it).

I think M.E.K. works best on paint removal (for a solution w/o thickener) and has been my favorite. Unfortunately I think it is being taken off shelves. I purchased a couple cases frome HD for $1 per gallon. I first thought it was a dented can sale, but then I found out is was being removed from their shelves. I have not read or heard anything else, but I know I have not seen it re-stocked or stocked at Sears Hardware or my other local Hardware stores.

All the Alcohol I see is 70%. Is that pure enough or should I be looking somewhere special? Is MEK the product name or an ingredient? Maybe I can find some, but need to know what I am looking for.

A chisel, and or sanding is not an option, as it is a very thin coat, and these would only remove concrete. I talked to another boat place and he said a heat gun may work. Will have to check into those also.

Try 70% - it may work (I always used 99.9%). - Again, this was not for cured epoxy resin so??? Some drug stores like CVS carry higher percentage content but not sure on the 99.9%. Always purchased it from chemical supply houses. Some electronics or even computer stores may carry it.

Since Acetate didn't work, my bet would be with MEK.

Sometimes mineral acids like HCl will break down the epoxy but this is risky if you don't know the content as the incompatability may be hazardous (the epoxy manufacturer should be able to tell you more before you take this path).

Guy called me again,to see if i found out any more yet. He is desperate to remove this stuff. In all reality, it is not that bad. Oil and rust are much worse. He even asked how much Concrete overlays may cost.

Will try to get some MEK and Strong Alcohol (Will Everclear work?). Can anything be added to the alcohol to decrease drying time?

OTP, I use the West Systems product you are refering to almost daily in my business. If this spill consisted of the epoxy resin and hardener already mixed the chances of completely removing it are almost nill. If it has much thickness to it you might try carefully grinding it with a 36 grit pad. You could also use the 80 grit pads used on decks, it would work as well, just take longer. After sanding it down to an extremely thin film you may be able to dissolve the remainder with lacquer thinner.

Good Luck,

Bob Warfield

It is a pretty thin film, and laquer thinner would hardly touch it. I am not sure about the hardener, as I am not overly familiar with epoxy and the guy did not mention it, and I did not know enough to ask. Will have to find out.

If all else fails, would concrete resurfacer stick to it? Can it be etched by acid?

Most epoxies are 2 part (A&B). One of these is the hardener which when mixed, starts the hardening/curing process. There are many types of epoxies out there with different hardeners.

That is why I suggested calling the epoxy manufacturer for their recommendation, otherwise you could spend a lot of time and energy without getting any favorable results.

Well, here is the ending. Called company that makes the product, and they say that it is designed to resist everything. They even mentioned that they do resistance tests, by placing cured globs in acid for many weeks.

Not wanting to be defeated, I went back to the guys house armed with MEK, Alcohol, Peel Away, Goof Off, a heat gun and a propane torch. The torch and the heat gun was actually reccomended by the company.

Tried everything and lost my fight. The torch, may have gotten it up, but the super black burn mark covered up any results, and would not come off.

So due to my field testings on Epoxy Resin that is cured, I would say that the stuff is bullet proof, and will not come off without damaging the concrete. I will in the future walk away from all Epoxy calls, unless I hear their is a wonder drug that will take care of it.

Thank you to all who replied, I now have a larger batch of test chemicals in my arsenal of dirty tricks, oops I mean cleaning tricks.

Modify the verbage on the side of the MEK can to read "May work on some Epoxy Resins before curing. To be used in conjunction with chisel or grinder after curing."