Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

The squrrel speaks the TRUTH

Question

9 answers to this question

Without reporters and coverage the message for help would not even be heard.Someone has to report on it or people like you and I would not even know it was going on and not be able to see that help and supplies are needed.And the reporters are just doing the job they were trained to do , the job they get paid for so they can feed their own family.

JeffW,

The reporters may have been doing their jobs,but I think there were opportunities for them to report it better.I have seen news crews pump up crowds to get good on camera footage and I think some of that may have taken place in New Orleans.Why has there been limited coverage from Miss. and Al.?These people were hit just as hard,but because the mayor of New Orleans has been so outspoken the news media has almost exclusively covered N.O.I also notice the mayor of N.O hasn't stepped up to accept his share of the blame for poor emergency planning on his cities part.

Also,You only see on the news what they want you to see.It's a TV show like any other,they edit out what they feel will not increase ratings.Have you ever noticed how fast they plater pics of civilians Iraqies that were killed by US airstikes?They fail to show our soldiers digging wells,building schools and passing out food.If they report the news honestly without adding to it by slanting the viewpoint it's fine with me.

I think there are a lot of credible news people who have helped cover this,and to those who have used their spot in front of a camera to further their career or personal agenda I hope you get yours when you meet your maker.

Keep in mind no matter who is covering this they will never be able to put into words the amount of destruction.I don't even think pictures show nearly as much as what is there.I pray for all effected daily it's all I can do along with a donation to a charity that can help the people of the gulfs states begin to recover from this tragedy.

So true about attention span.. even we here are guilty about hollering how much more gas is going to cost us when we should thank God we still have vehicles to drive, a business to generate income, and families to support us. Taking these things for granted can be easily remedied by a catastrophe like Katrina.

Networks are highly competetive which makes for highly competitve reporters because if you and your crew are'nt covering what people want to see they will find someone who will.As for furthering a career, whats wrong with that.This is there job and they want to keep advancing or they will fall out of the picture.These people are doing what the networks are asking of them.Until you walk in someone elses shoes it's hard to say whats right or wrong.Remember they are the experts in what people want to see and they put whatever it happens to be on tv.The point is,maybe we're all to blame as a whole for what they show on the news.And I do agree with what they are doing in Iraq.And yes there should be more reporting on the good over there.

So true about attention span.. even we here are guilty about hollering how much more gas is going to cost us when we should thank God we still have vehicles to drive, a business to generate income, and families to support us. Taking these things for granted can be easily remedied by a catastrophe like Katrina.

Amen to that. I don't like paying more for gas, or for anything else, but that's the way it is, and sitting around crying about it isn't going to change it. I just thank God I have what I have, and that I can afford to pay t he gas prices, even if I don't like them.

Don Henley (the Eagles) wrote a song a few years back that addresses the media sensationalism...

I make my living off the evening news

Just give me something, something I can use

People love it when you lose

They love dirty laundry

Well I could have been an actor but I wound up here

I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear

Come and whisper in my ear

Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down (3X)

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed bleach blonde comes on at five

She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye

It's int'resting when people die

Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation, is the head dead yet

Y'know the boys in the newsroom got a running bet

Get the widow on the set

We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on

You don't really want to know just how far it's gone

Just leave well enough alone

Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em where they sit, kick 'em all around

Kick 'em where they sit, kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies

We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pies

We love to cut you down to size

We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing

When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing

We all know that crap is king

Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down

{Repeat to fade}

Did yall see on Fox news where Geraldo went and rescued an elderly lady and her dog, after she called the fox station? I think that some of the news crews should have been doing this all aong.....Just my 2 cents