Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

painting a stained exterior

Question

4 answers to this question

I would think that it would depend on the type of sealant and its age/condition. Some of the penetrating oil stains would make a good base for paint in a sense one would think. Why would you be applying paint - why not a solid stain if they don't want to see wood grain?

Celeste

It appears to be some kind of film forming stain (doesn't look like a penatrating oil). The home is owned by my neighbor from across the street from my childhood. She currently lives in Cali., and I am offered to help assess the exterior (stained two years ago, and failing), and give her my advice as to what needs to be done.

This is not a job I want to tackle myself, but I wanted to give here some sound advice as to which direction she should go. I am leaning towards advising against restaining because of the maintainence frequency that stains require. The home is now a rental, and I believe that going with a paint, would allow for a much easier and cheaper approach for maintainence, but wasn't sure wether it could just be cleaned, or if stripping is neccessary.

Lance, the job could get hairy either way. I wouldn't paint/solid over a penetrating stain like RS or TWP for anything. The non-drying properties aren't something I want to try and adhere to. Your situation.......geez.........honestly, the stripping process could end up being the same either way you go, stripping the film or stripping paint....so you might gamble and try and paint over it (cringing as I advise). .......I dunno, I'd like to advise you on a cost-effective solution since it's a rental, but man, I'd hate for you to look across the street at sheets of paint falling off too. Think I'll defer:)

As a general rule, unless recoating existing paint...no paint on wood. (this is a rule we follow and so it is our advice) Solid stain, yes. But not over top the sealer that is there. Strip, prep, stain. Be warned that you will have a bit of defelting to do.... When in doubt, always start with a fresh canvas.

Beth