Sign in to follow this  
patrick k

First HD-80 Job

Question

Hi everyone,

I have my first HD-80 job coming up this week. To this point I have used just the EFC-38 with the Citrilac Acid.

I have this vision of accidently getting a little overspray on a window or some siding and the window melting or the siding catching on fire! Now of course I am exaterating here but seriously what are the steps you all take when stripping to cover up surrounding areas?

I plan on covering every possible area around me with clrear plastic but any other tips? I just hope it does not take me 2 hours just to set up.

Thanks,

Pat

PS

When all you pro's were in Vegas, anyone take the over on how many days it would rain this year? This weather is crazy, it rains at least everyother day here in MA and I am not joking....

15 answers to this question

There are plenty of people who will not agree with me and thats ok this is what I do. I have a ball valve at the end of my hose and I connect the wand to this ball valve. I apply my stripper by using my X-Jet with close range nozzle. Here is my method of applying. First I mix my stripper to desired strength knowing that the X-Jet will dilute. I then start my machine without the wand connected and I crack the ball vavle open half way this makes it shoot a stream of water much like a water hose with a sprayer attachment. I prewet around the structure very good. I then shut off the valve and attach my wand with X-Jet c/r and apply stripper to the entire struture. Then I turn off the ball valve and take off the wand and rinse down very well anything that got any stripper on it that should not have. I then reattach the wand with a 4010 nozzle and start rinsing the struture. The 4010 will give my pressure washer around 500 psi. I then repeat the same process with the citrialic acid and when finished I give the area a complete rinse down with the hose to make dang sure everything is washed down. I have never had a problem with this method. I will say that when stripping things that need a stronger solution than the X-jet will give you I would recommend a Shur Flo or Flow Jet as I have recently found out that pump up sprayers have warning lables that tells you not to spray Sodium Hydroxide thru them. I hope this helps.:D

Take your soap nozzle and wet down the area surrounding the deck...grass, plants, etc.... wet the siding and windows and door frames a little too if need be.

Apply with an shurflow or pump up... personally, I'm not concerned about the disclaimer on the pump up. Use a spray shield to keep chems off the side of the house. Keep the spray tip close to what you are working on. If it's an elevated deck, wet the things underneath as well. Wetting down helps with dilution.

Beth;)

Beth I am a little suprised to see you say forget the disclaimer on the pump up as much as you talk saftey. Im sure that somewhere there has been an accident or it wouldnt be on there. I use pump ups also and I have and still do use them for certain jobs with the Sodium Hydroxide however I dont think I would ever advise someone to forget a warning that is labeled on a product. My advice is and this is to all the newbies out there this year that are flooding these boards to use caution when using a pump up or anything for that matter when using Sodium Hydroxide. Just for the record Im not coming down on Beth just want to give the advice to the newbies out there. I have noticed alot of newbies and the numbers on the members tally going up up up on all the boards. I hope everyone is having a great year.:D

i use 2 different types of pump ups. Had both for 3 years now and have been spraying hd80 through them both for that long. The only thing I have had to replace is the nozzle and the tubing (helper stepped on it). Never had a problem with hd80 and the pump ups.

Reed

Morgan,

You may be right. Perhaps there is one word of caution I'll dispense about pump ups. Be careful when discharging the pressure. Do it slowly. Keep on all gear and goggles when doing so.

As for applying them with it, the manufacturer of HD-80 supports the use, and so do we. It's far easier to control the product.

Very often labeling precautions are put on labels to avoid liability for things that have not yet happened. Lawyers are supposed to help companies keep from getting sued, and this is a prime example of that.

Beth

I may be wrong on this and if I am Im sure someone will comment but this is the way my mind is seeing this. Its not that Sodium Hydroxide will explode or anything but from what I gather if produces gases. If this is true then using it is not a problem however say you works for a while and decide to goto lunch or something and the pump up is full of say HD-80 and it sits in the hot sun for lets say an hr in 100 degree weather could the pump up be unsafe when you go back to it and start working??????? In my mind it would but if you can convence me otherwise I will change my mind. Have you ever seen a plastic gas can half full of gas after it has sit in the sun a while with out the small air vent open it is very swollen and it was never pressureized now image a pump up pressurized and sitting in the sun. I think this is where I see the problem.:D

Okay, we have just learned something folks. If it is 100 degrees outside and you wanna go to lunch for an hour, put your pump up sprayer, and all other chemicals for that matter in the shade. Relieve the pressure also if you want. Since most pump ups are a light plastic, you wouldn't want the UV to break down your mix before you use it either. Hence the reason that pest control companies use black plastic tanks a lot of the time.

OTP in reading your post I can read it two different ways and since its just words I thought I would ask. Are you saying that the way I am thinking is correct or the other way of reading it were you saying it in a smarty way. I know what I do and what I dont do but like I said before not everybody has been in this prof. and used Sodium Hydroxide so Im looking at it from a saftey standpoint.:D

Forget the Pump ups. Been there done that. Get a Surflo or Flojet. You will never look back. Take it from me. Pump ups Suck Suck Suck. Joe Home owner uses those. We as Professionals use the real deal. Get those Pumps and don't waste years like I did with Pump ups.

Flojets along with Surflo's, Surface Machines, Hot water, Chemicals etc. are the biggest reasons why my Business has really been Kicking as far as Equipment goes.

Good Luck

All of the pump ups I own have pressure relief safety valves on the side that are supposed to vent off excessive pressure.

Regardless of how you apply sodium hydroxide, be sure to wear appropriate safety gear, especially goggles.

You can walk on a wooden leg, hear with a hearing aid, but you can't see with a glass eye.

All my pump ups now have the relief valve but it hasnt always been that way for me but for now on it will. I dont want anyone to get the wrong idea about why I am posting on this subject its just up till a few weeks ago I had never noticed the warning on the pump up and I wanted alittle discussion about it to see if I was thinking out in left field or if there was any merit to what I was thinking. Thanks for all replys:D

Morgan,

I guess it can be read two ways, but my reply is also from a safety view. Many contractors break for lunch and leave their work site as it was. This can be a hazard, not only to the workers, but anyone else that may be around. Each site has it's own story.

Many want to pick up where they left off, as soon as they return, but proper storage is essential with equipment and chemicals. Even if that means that we may have to take extra time to get set up again.

I am very particular where I leave stuff, and especially items that may pose a danger. While I have always done this, after reading your post, it got me to thinking. How many people just take off and leave the site as it was when they were working.