Sign in to follow this  
mhpoole

Redesigned website framework up

Question

5 answers to this question

3 weeks I searched for that music. Thanks

First let me say it's a catchy looking site. Really draws you in and I like the colors alot. You did an OUTSTANDING job on the design!

One thing about the music. I'll say this as nicely as I can since you spent so much time searching for the perfect sounds (very good choice by the way).

That being said: I can't stand when websites "take over" my speakers. It's like hijacking my computer without asking me. It's worse to me than a popup ad. When I'm on the web, I listen to my own music or sometimes radio net broadcasts and your music just starts playing right in the middle (and over the top of) what i'm listening to. It's my one pet peeve about annoying websites.

If you want someone to stay and revisit your site often, you'll kill the tunes. YES, I understand you can turn it off, but really I can't turn it off. If I turn it off on your homepage, it stops... Then I click one of your internal links and look through your site to check it out. I used my back button to get back to your homepage and LOW & BEHOLD, I'm treated AGAIN with your wonderful selection of music (without my approval) coming over the top of my own music.

As an Example: Lets just say you worked it out (with cookies) so when i kill the music, it stays off for good during my visit to your site. Well, that seems fine on the surface but you've already pissed me off (just a bit) because you interrupted my music and MADE me LOOK FOR the stupid off button which is always in a different location depending on the site and CLICK IT to turn it off.

HERE's THE KICKER: I delete my cookies about once a week (and so do a lot of other people) so if I come back to your site next week, Again my computer is HIJACKED and you MAKE ME do 2 things just to VISIT your site. Again, I have to LOOK FOR the off button and then CLICK IT.

This experience would be repeated to me FOREVER! That's why NO popular or corporate website uses music as a background.

Here's one that's fun for the whole family or office!!!

Let's say yesterday, or this morning, I was listening to music on my computer at a pretty high volume. Maybe, I wasn't even at my computer but just listening to it while i'm in the same room...

Now, Picture this: I've turned off my music BUT the speakers are STILL ON even though there's no sound coming out of them. Also very common situation for most netizens. When I go back to your site, I see that pretty picture trying to load and then BOOOOOOOOOOOM I'm hit with YOUR favorite selection of music at 47 GAZILLION Decibals (in my face because I'm now sitting at the computer). That one I REALLY Love!!!

THEN, for added excitement and listening pleasure (now from co-workers or family members), I have to go home and change/wash my clothes because I PISSED MYSELF when your music came on!

It's annoying at best and I can appreciate your excellent intentions.

Things that make you go: HMMMMMMMMM

Gotta go home and change now... If I get a rash from these wet jeans, i'm coming after you. lol