Sign in to follow this  
sflasealcoating

gpm or pressure????

Question

quick question??? ive been in business for soemtime now and have 2 machines....13 hp 4.4 gpm @3500psi and 18 hp 5 gpm @ 4000 psi...... i have been looking at some hot water models 20 hp and 24 hp.... now the 20 hp 8gp @ 3000 psi is cheaper then the 24 hp 7 gpm @ 3500psi...... i know they say gpm is what cleans nto pressure ...so then why get high pressure?? so is the 8 gpm better???

any opinions welcomed lol

10 answers to this question

The first thing you should know is the formula for figuring out what horsepower is required to run the specs your looking for. gpm x p.s.i. divided by 1100 for gas 1400 for electric motor.that will tell you the horepower you will need to run your desired gpm and pressure. Imo I would go with higher gpm unless your stripping paint you won't need pressures higher than 3000. I run a 10 gpm hot water and a 8.5 cold water.They run anywhere from 2800 to 3200 psi.The majority of the time I clean with less than 1500 psi.

quick question??? ive been in business for soemtime now and have 2 machines....13 hp 4.4 gpm @3500psi and 18 hp 5 gpm @ 4000 psi...... i have been looking at some hot water models 20 hp and 24 hp.... now the 20 hp 8gp @ 3000 psi is cheaper then the 24 hp 7 gpm @ 3500psi...... i know they say gpm is what cleans nto pressure ...so then why get high pressure?? so is the 8 gpm better???

any opinions welcomed lol

both hondas the 8gmp i cheaper @ 3000 and i was curious as to why .....so would it be better to get a 20 hp 8gmp@3000 then a 24hp 7 gmp 3500 psi ?

both hondas the 8gmp i cheaper @ 3000 and i was curious as to why .....so would it be better to get a 20 hp 8gmp@3000 then a 24hp 7 gmp 3500 psi ?

How much cheaper I wouldn't think its that much but the higher gpm pump is more expensive.There isn't much difference in price for a 20 hp and a 24 hp motor.

The first thing you should know is the formula for figuring out what horsepower is required to run the specs your looking for. gpm x p.s.i. divided by 1100 for gas 1400 for electric motor.that will tell you the horepower you will need to run your desired gpm and pressure. Imo I would go with higher gpm unless your stripping paint you won't need pressures higher than 3000. I run a 10 gpm hot water and a 8.5 cold water.They run anywhere from 2800 to 3200 psi.The majority of the time I clean with less than 1500 psi.

Heck, Mel, they should have hired you to help pump out New Orleans. You go through some water.

gpm X psi = Cu (cleaning units)

8gpm X 3000psi = 24000 cu

While this formula to me is arbitrary when most of us in residential are trying to lower our psi in order to avoid damage to the surfaces. In turn this allows for a better use of the higher gpms that are available in machines that pump 6+gpms if psi is not of that great an importance.

Chems are being relied upon more to do the work and the higher gpms are speeding up the rinse process shortening job time.

Overall, one must ask which is needed most in your area of work related surfaces being cleaned. For flat work, gpms & psi are important in order to obtain the best results.

I hope this helps.

Rod~

Heck, Mel, they should have hired you to help pump out New Orleans. You go through some water.

Theres a comedian in every crowd.Just remember every gallon I go through the faster and more efficent we are cleaning. When all said and done the faster we clean = more jobs done in a day = more money for momma to buy more shoes.lolicon7.gificon7.gif

gpm X psi = Cu (cleaning units)

8gpm X 3000psi = 24000 cu

While this formula to me is arbitrary when most of us in residential are trying to lower our psi in order to avoid damage to the surfaces. In turn this allows for a better use of the higher gpms that are available in machines that pump 6+gpms if psi is not of that great an importance.

Chems are being relied upon more to do the work and the higher gpms are speeding up the rinse process shortening job time.

Overall, one must ask which is needed most in your area of work related surfaces being cleaned. For flat work, gpms & psi are important in order to obtain the best results.

I hope this helps.

Rod~

thanks for the info.... gpm speeds up the process but for instance when im using a hover cover... wouldnt a 4000psi machine clean better? just curious becuase theres so many choices in the 4000-5000k price range hot water rigs 20 hp-24hp 3000psi up to 5000 psi 5.5 gpm to 10gpm wondering which set up woul;d be the best for cleaning just Pavers, and conrete flatwork.....i dont do roofs or gutters or anything else...

4000psi would add to your speed when using a surface cleaner provided the unit is rated to operate at that psi. For wand work, you will get tired pretty quickly @4000psi and 6+gpms.

3000psi and 8gpms puts a strain on my shoulders when doing wand work. Just relating my experience.

Rod~