Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Deck Measurements

Question

Question for deck vets.

I have done about four deck this season as an add on to my pw services. They have all been low patio decks. No problem at all. Now I get a call from my previous customer that I powerwashed her home and flagstone, to give here and estimate on her deck. Pictures are below. Here are the measurements and I measured everything just to be safe.

Top deck 21X10=210 sf

Under deck 21X10=210 sf

Top deck rails 46X4"=?

Steps.. 1 Step = 13"X36" ?

13 step total.

Hand Railing coming down from top deck area.

20'X4"=?

80.. 2x2= Spindels

3x24 Runners Both Sides

Band boards .. Forgot to measure.

How do you vets come up with the total sqfootage for a deck like this.

I Qouted $985.00 for the job, due to past experience on previous deck staining. Cleaning, neutralizing, sanding and staining. I do not know if I overbidded this job, because I never had to take in consideration of all the measurements on this bid as I did on the low level patio decks I have previously did. I am thinking 10 gallons of Wood tux wet should do the job.

Or What would be the easiest way to get a total measurement of this deck if say Shane or Beth was measuring it?

Could one of you vets give me the total sqft of the deck job. I want to see if I was close in sqft before I post What I believe the sqft is. This is my first attempt at bidding on a deck with some many variable. A quick response is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

post-743-13777214714_thumb.jpg

post-743-137772147144_thumb.jpg

post-743-13777214715_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Question - are you saying the deck rails (vertically) stand 4' (feet) high?

Your floor measurement looks right.

Your step measurement looks right (13x3)

Rails can be done a couple of ways. We do not count spindles, but many folks do. Some people also use linear feet for rails rather than square feet. We measure the height of the rails, by the length of the rails.

Beth

p.s. did you measure the landing at the top of the steps? It looks like it is either 3x3 or 4x4... was your deck measurement the length and width to include that space, or was it just shy of it going up to the rails? If you measured all the way out to the small landing and then multiplied it by the width, you also captured enough additional sq ft to cover the steps since they sit in the space you covered - do you follow? I need more coffee... :cup:

Ken,

Do you normally measure the underside as well? Here we rarely get folks who want the underside done. You can usually tell who might by the extensive patio and landscaping underneath. (at least in our expereince here)

Beth

Jay

I agree with Ken, you under estimated the underside of the deck. You have to count and figure all the sqft of each joist, how about the (looks like) 2x8 band board? each spindle can be counted as 1 sqft top rails I figure by LF. I don't have time to figure it all out here, but Reed has a data base that I use that will figure it out for you. Maybe when he comes on he'll chime in.

Just looking at the 2x12 joist roughly there could be almost 700 sqft alone.I always figure the sqft per joist beams.I also dont' see the sqft for the 4x4 ,4x6 post.

Jay, would you like a copy of the spreadsheet I use. All you have to do is fill in the mesurements and it will calculate everything for you and give you the option of manipulating your price. Let me know

reed

We do not count spindles, but many folks do. Some people also use linear feet for rails rather than square feet. We measure the height of the rails, by the length of the rails.

Jay, measuring properly can be a PITA sometimes and it gets me sometimes too (thanks Reed)... :)

but if your gonna measure everything remember that certain parts of a deck add up quickly to sq footage.... example, like mentioned above, the underside is more than just the decking, the joists add a lot of sq feet..... 4X4 and 6X6 posts add plenty too.... you figure for every 6" of 6X6 equals a sq ft, so if there is 10, 10 footers (example) thats 100 feet of posts total, every 6 inches is a sq ft....200 sq feet just for the posts....thats quite a bit just for posts....4x4's are less, but figure every 9" is 1 sq ft...... adds up quickly

spindles, another area that adds a lot to your sq footage.... 32" spindle (1.5" wide) is over 1.3 sq ft each.....100 spindles is over 130 sq feet.

now a question for Beth and Rod, if I understand this "quote", you guys basically "pretend" the railing system is a solid wall? If the railing is 3' tall X 20' long, you just figure the railing system is 60 sq feet? I will have to plug that in and see if Im coming out close to the same.....if so, I LIKE IT :)

I think this was explained to me about 2 weeks ago, but I was in a coma or something.....

all these pro's tips and tricks are great....keep em rolling in !!! :cool:

Yes, we do. If you measure a spindle...how can I explain this...if you could unfold it, lay it flat out, a standard spindle would be 4 inches wide, given each side is an inch.

At least in our area, deck builders build rails with a 4 inch gap between spidles, thus, you would have a wall if you could flatten or unfold all the sides...follow me? We also factor in the support, which are pretty standard, once you know your measurements around a post and have a standard height for a second story deck for example it is pretty cookie cutter. You can get your rails off of the floor length and width in many cases if it is a basic deck with no funky angles.

On a 10x12 deck with no stairs, second story for example, you have 120 sq ft of floor. Given a 3 foot high rail system, you will have 2 side that are 10 feet long and one side that is 12 feet long. Therefore, you have 96 sq. ft. of rails (32x3). Next count the supports and factor the band boards, and off you go.

Sometimes measuring is a chore. You will see decks with fun shapes and angles, lots of lattice, arbors, walls that are part fence, the whole nine yards. Better to factor in all the wood you can, and always remember the underside is extra sqare footage - it's the other side of the board.

Hope I didn't muddle this up. Should be clear as mud.... right?

Beth ;)

Ken,

Do you normally measure the underside as well? Here we rarely get folks who want the underside done. You can usually tell who might by the extensive patio and landscaping underneath. (at least in our expereince here)

Beth

I hate undersides. If you don't have stripper or acid dripping onto you, you are covered in a cloud of VOC's. I discourage people from doing them because I charge about double the price per sf.

I would be over $2000 doing the underside of this one. Maybe $1100 without it.

Thanks, to all that posted. I just came out of the rain and I am glancing over the post responses and I will have to go back and reread to get an understanding from the reponses. Reed, I would like that estimate calculation thingy you mentioned.

I came up with about 1100sq feet for this bid. I want to understand HOW, I came up with it. I believe I bid the cost ok. I looked at about 6 hours to complete. Looking to go with Wood Tux WHG. What do you think beth?.

The deck is in need of a good cleaning and I believe that the honey gold will look good.

What color would you wood vets suggest in Ready Seal.

I just recieved my Ready Seal samples for Sunbrite. Thanks Tracey and Pete. Will be staining my test deck strips soon. I was looking at the light Brown or the dark brown.

Customer want to stay away from the redish tint look. Beth Chime in here when you can. Sorry I missed the Round table last weekend. Had the unfortunate loss of a close freind and then Monday, a family member was murdered in Indianapolis, needless to say I have had a bad week.

Thanks, to all that posted. I just came out of the rain and I am glancing over the post responses and I will have to go back and reread to get an understanding from the reponses. Reed, I would like that estimate calculation thingy you mentioned.

What color would you wood vets suggest in Ready Seal.

you need to email me or post your email address and I'll send you a copy of the calculation sheet and the bid that went with it. It's done in MS Excel.

On the RS color, I would go with the natural cedar.

reed

Jay

Reeds spread sheet is what I use with some mods to suit what I do and prices here. Its great and makes it really easy to bid a deck no matter what size or shape.

Thanks Reed

You know what's really neat about the Wood Tux? Let's say you are on a job, and you didn't have enough product. You get there, and you are working and maybe you estimated a gallon shy of having enough. You have no mineral spirits with you, but there is running water. Let's further say this is a maintenance coat....simply add water to the Wood Tux and you can extend it. Cool stuff.

Beth