Sign in to follow this  
Diek

Help with starting out question

Question

Well I'll start off by saying I'm brand new to this (was a prior Home Inspector) and have been doing research, research, research. I thank you all for posting and helping out us newbies! I'm looking at starting up a company, my delima is Its getting to the time of year here in MI that the snow is going to start flying after not too long. Can this business be profitable starting out as a new guy during this time of year or would it be better waiting until spring? Looking at doing Fleet Washing, Homes, Flatwork, business fronts and the ussual stuff. I know houses are probably out along with flat work. Thanks ahead of time for your opinions!

Scott

6 answers to this question

Scott,

Welcome to TGS! We're glad you've joined us here. This is a hard time of year to start up, since the season is winding down. Spring is a better time, but if I may offer a few suggestions on what you might do between now and spring.....

• practice washing before you begin to do jobs if you can, on your property, or family or friends who are willing to let you get the practice
  • prepare a business plan
  • prepare a marketing plan
  • get your articles of incorporation set up for your business
  • get your insurance
  • get any state licensing that may be required where you live
  • study, study, study
  • look into the PWNA ( www.pwna.org)
  • speak to an accountant
  • ask TONS of questions - no such thing as a stupid question

Check out the FAQ button up in the navigation bar on this site. There are things there that will help you.

Beth

Hello,

Well ive been in business for about 2 years now..... i actually was thinking about it and saving for a rig when i was let go from my sales position becuase of downsizing. I went out the next day and bought a simple rig 13 hp belt drive 4x8 trailer hoses hover ect for about 4000.00 and then wondered now what? lol I didnt become inc until a few monthes ago hjust becuase ive been doign big jobs.... you may want to thnk about just gettign an occupational license which is fine until u get started which is about 30.00 here in florida..... Im lucky i live in florida so you can clean year round ( no snow) however i would set everything up first, your insurance, occ license buisness cards ect before you buy the rig.... my fist jobs were goign door to door putting flyers i made for a week straight in soem large subdivisions.. theres so much money to be made.... might wanna think about sealing also pavers specifically...should be gettign popular where u r and its a great way to make money

Thanks for the info guys. Steve I'll take you up on that and give you a call this weekend somtime if you don't mind! Thanks again, I'm sure you'll see me posting questions again in the future.....LOL Take care everyone!

Scott

Scott, My attitude is much different than most here. you can build a very profitable business all year round.

i have no season and frankly if i had i would not be in this business.

You mentioned fleets, you think the wait till summer to wash those trucks? No they often wash more and safety equipment needs to be cleaned or they will be sited by HWY patrols and at weigh stations across america.

Flatwork can be done above frezzing temperatures. interior work such as kitchens and parking structures need cleaning.

the pressure washing list is enormous. hundreds and maybe even thousands of avenues.

Start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just do it Scott... call me if you need too

Scott, My attitude is much different than most here. you can build a very profitable business all year round.

Says the guy from Phoenix...yeah, the winters are BRUTAL there. :rolleyes:

Just kidding...I have no room to talk...I have no winter here either.

There's ALWAYS something to do, as Ron says...