Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Smoke Signals

Fired up the machine and the burner was pushing lots of white smoke, (SOS) while the water was only warm despite the thermostat being maxed out.

I could see the usual glow inside the coil, so I am sure there was ignition.

It did this for 15 minutes or so, and then it seemed to clear up. Machine was level and plenty of diesel, so I know I was not running out.

The below thread is the only one that seems to address this issue, but since I am getting ignition, feel their is more to the story.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4435&highlight=burner

Does the smoke smeel like diesel smoke? If not, you might have a pinhole in your coil Could also be that a connector has a crack and is blowing water into the heater coil.

Scott Stone

With the stuffed up nose, I did not notice if there was a diesel smell to it. I also did not notice any surges from the flow unloader as if the coil has a leak.

I will put a pressure gauge on it, and see if I have a loss to help rule out that no hole is present.

Should my nose start working, and I do smell diesel in the smoke, what does that mean?

Alan, It seems that we are in the same boat, sort of. Hope you don't mind if I tag along on this thread. I just bought a used Landa rig and I'm trying to figure out why it's smoking. When I turn the burner on, if I'm shooting water, everything's pretty much OK. Just a little smoke but continuous. When I stop washing, white smoke comes billowing out of the top of the burner and around the bottom of the coil unit where it meets the deck of my skid. Even after I shut off the machine, wisps of white smoke still come out of the burner for hours. I shut it off at about 10am this morning and as of 4pm I can still see faint wisps of white smoke curling around the coils. I'm thinking that I need to replace the fuel solenoid, at least as a first step. Too much fuel in the burner and it's not being burned, right? Speaking of fuel solenoids, do I need to replace the whole thing, wires and all or can I just replace the coil part? It's a 12V burner if that has any bearing. Mine definately has a diesel smell. Thanks,

I just had this same problem.

What i found was when I opened the ignition transformer....there is two springs....one of those springs were burned through. Ordered two new springs and installed...no more problems. The one thing I did notice after this was i am using far less diesel fuel. Diesel lasts a lot longer now then before.

You can try a pressure guage. When I got a hole in the coil the pressure drop was insignificant. Around 200 lbs.

Sparkie has an interesting idea. You could check the contacts and make sure that you have a good electric charge flowing before you really start spending the bucks. I don't understand why you would have coil problem right now. I had over 9000 hours on my machine when I had a problem. Since most guys replace their machine before that, I doubt that you have that problem, or have frozen the coil.

Check your ignition sources, and make sure that your generaotr or battery are good.

Scott

It was the fuel filter. Knew it was overdue to be changed and ordered one over a month ago and forgot to put it on.

Guess I need to replace that hour meter that shorted out, so I can keep on track with my maintenance beforehand.

Always nice to have the parts on hand when needed. I best order a back up now.

Thanks to all for the replies, I am sure it will help others as well.

Alan, It seems that we are in the same boat, sort of. Hope you don't mind if I tag along on this thread. I just bought a used Landa rig and I'm trying to figure out why it's smoking. When I turn the burner on, if I'm shooting water, everything's pretty much OK. Just a little smoke but continuous. When I stop washing, white smoke comes billowing out of the top of the burner and around the bottom of the coil unit where it meets the deck of my skid. Even after I shut off the machine, wisps of white smoke still come out of the burner for hours. I shut it off at about 10am this morning and as of 4pm I can still see faint wisps of white smoke curling around the coils. I'm thinking that I need to replace the fuel solenoid, at least as a first step. Too much fuel in the burner and it's not being burned, right? Speaking of fuel solenoids, do I need to replace the whole thing, wires and all or can I just replace the coil part? It's a 12V burner if that has any bearing. Mine definately has a diesel smell. Thanks,

Joel, what it sounds like to me is the burner was mis-firing, some one fixed it, and now the residual fuel has to evaporate away. The only way to cure it is to pull and wash the coil, and replace all the insulation including the front and back discs. You say "continuous smoke" above...white or black?

It was the fuel filter. Knew it was overdue to be changed and ordered one over a month ago and forgot to put it on.

Guess I need to replace that hour meter that shorted out, so I can keep on track with my maintenance beforehand.

Always nice to have the parts on hand when needed. I best order a back up now.

Thanks to all for the replies, I am sure it will help others as well.

Thanks for the update. I am facing exactly the same thing, and oddly I just replaced my shorted out hourmeter as well. Was it an APW unit? If so, watch for the fuse holder. Mine was rated at 10A and got so hot it finally cooked itself. I replaced with a 30A holder and all is well now.

Joel, what it sounds like to me is the burner was mis-firing, some one fixed it, and now the residual fuel has to evaporate away. The only way to cure it is to pull and wash the coil, and replace all the insulation including the front and back discs. You say "continuous smoke" above...white or black?

Russ,

I've pulled the coil and am going to clean it today. I also am replacing the fuel nozzle. It was squirting fuel not misting it.

There was no insulation wrapped around the coil but the disc at the bottom around the burner was SOAKED with diesel fuel. There was also rust flakes everywhere.

I've cleaned everything up and am replacing the insulation, fuel nozzle, fuel filter, burner gasket, giving it a tune up via a kit, and running some soot remover through it. Does it sound like I've covered everything?

You mentioned "front and back discs". Could you clarify that? What are the front and back discs?

All the smoke I've seen come out of this was white.

Thanks,

Yours is a vertical coil? Sorry..assumed it was horizontal. The front and back discs would be at the burner head and the end at the stack. Fuel squirting out can also be due to inadequate fuel pressure. If you can run the burner before you put the coil in, check the shape of your flame and notice if there are any "spatters" around the flame front. Large droplets won't light like the mist, and will usually hit the coil before they burn completely. Give me a call if you have any questions, I'll try to help.

Thanks for the update. I am facing exactly the same thing, and oddly I just replaced my shorted out hourmeter as well. Was it an APW unit? If so, watch for the fuse holder. Mine was rated at 10A and got so hot it finally cooked itself. I replaced with a 30A holder and all is well now.

I oddly enough had the same problem mine melted the hour meter and the fuse holder.I replaced mine with a 30a fuse holder and new hour meter and have not had a problem since that was 10 months ago.When I worked there I mentioned to them that it wasn't enough amperage fuse and (well) I was right.lol:) :)

Yours is a vertical coil? Sorry..assumed it was horizontal. The front and back discs would be at the burner head and the end at the stack. Fuel squirting out can also be due to inadequate fuel pressure. If you can run the burner before you put the coil in, check the shape of your flame and notice if there are any "spatters" around the flame front. Large droplets won't light like the mist, and will usually hit the coil before they burn completely. Give me a call if you have any questions, I'll try to help.

Right, mine is vertical. Sorry I should have mentioned. After tearing this on e completely down, I can see the advantages of a horizontal coil. It would be much easier to work on.

As for checking my flame, let me see if I get this correct. After installing my new nozzle, I can run the burner without the coil and the mist of diesel should ignite, right? Then I can see if the fuel pressure or air band needs to be adjusted?

Are there any precautions that I should take before lighting this up? I would like to keep all of my facial hair.

thanks,

Yeah...don't hang your head in the hole...unless Yul Brynner is a good look for you. Don't fire it for long, either. It will scorch the paint or blue the stainless on the wrap...or do you have the wrap off, too?

I see a bald pate in my future but I'd like to put it off as long as possible.

Yeah, my wrap is off too. The only thing I have to worry about is the powdercoat on the frame, and my eyebrows...

Thanks a ton everybody. I can't wait to get it back together and start washing!!