Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Residential Housewash Sealers

Question

Hi,

On the Envirospec site they sell two housewashing sealers, Plex-master & Sil-o-wet. They state that they improve the appearance of the vinyl and aluminum and protect the surface.

this is the first I have heard of such a housewash sealant.

Do these work?

Are they worth applying?

Do you charge extra for applying them?

Thanks

13 answers to this question

Lou, I use Steves wax too, I think its called "wet wax" or something like that, also his rinse aid is nice too......If someone doesnt correct me, I'll have the trailer out tomorrow so I'll look at it and give you the proper name and the RPC #.......Im too lazy to go outside right now :)

I use Sil-O-Wet from E-spec. It is a step above standard wax. It definitely forms a film on windows so you have to make sure they are very clean and well rinsed before you would apply.

I have found it to enhance the color of worn siding and especially brick. Though that sounds great, be very careful with your dilution ratios. For some reason the product is very red in concentrate form. When I first started using it, I turned a couple of downspouts a nice pink color. You definitely have to downstream this stuff and it has to be done as a separate step after rinsing but. I put it on a brick retaining wall at the back of my property in May and it still looks great and repels water.

Lou, got your message last night. I'll give you a holler sometime after 6 pm today. (Sunday)

I do like the idea of the rowletts wax additive. I may have to give that a try.

Using Steve's wax, I don't have to worry about dilution, I can add it to the housewash rather than waiting until after I rinse, and I've never had a complaint about windows...It's basically the same wax you use at the DIY carwash when you turn the knob to "wet wax". The ONLY problem I have had with it (and it really isn't a problem) is that it tends to knock down the sudsing action of the soap. I just add some of his alkaline foamer, and that solves the problem.

I don't use it on everything, just cases where a shine will make a difference. If I'm cleaning brick, or stained wood, or siding painted with a flat paint, I don't bother since I have never seen a difference. Why waste chems.

Sil-o-wet works best if you apply it with hot water (120*)

The results are very nice. Although I have not used it on aluminum, vinyl takes on a brighter appearance.

IMHO, its an add on that is really superfluous in respect to the time of protection you are getting from the re infestation of mold and mildew for most homes. I only recommend it for H.O.'s who have an abundance of pollenous trees surrounding their home that create the problem more readily. Maybe its a conscience thing, but I don't feel it right to sell something to someone that they don't really need.

Nice product though, I like the way it smells and so do the clients.

Rod~