Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Trailer brake

Im no machanic, unfortunitly far from it. My new tandem 16' trailer has a brake locking up. I think? Its the rear passenger side wheel/brake. when I stop, it will lock up and when its wet out you will hear & see it lock up. I have an appointment next tuesday to have it checked out.

What could cause this and what will need to be done

Thanks

JL

Im no machanic, unfortunitly far from it. My new tandem 16' trailer has a brake locking up. I think? Its the rear passenger side wheel/brake. when I stop, it will lock up and when its wet out you will hear & see it lock up. I have an appointment next tuesday to have it checked out.

What could cause this and what will need to be done

Thanks

JL

Have you checked the settings on your brake controller? I have the same problem (though with both wheels) on my open trailer. I have the brake controller (It is the Prodigy by Tekonsha) set for my enclosed trailer, and when I switch to the open trailer, I have to set the controller down a bit or my wheels lock up.

Definitely need to get it checked, though. Locked up wheels aren't any good, especially in the rain!

Mike , I read the post earlier and thought the same thing. But with it only locking one wheel I don't see how it's the controller unless he is having problems with the other 3 wheels not working.

Jeff , if you turn up your controller all the way can you get all the wheels to lockup ?

Ya I tried to turn controller down, it was set at 4.5 I turned down to 4.0 then 3.5 still the same problem and yes its just the one wheel. I had someone tell me to have the plug checked one prong may be blown. I wish I knew how to do this stuff.

Im going to get it checked Thanks

It's not the plug. The plug supplies power to the all the brakes. There is not a seperate wire to each wheel at the plug. The wiring on the trailer is were it is split to the wheels. It may have a bad magnet to that wheel.

It's not the plug. The plug supplies power to the all the brakes. There is not a seperate wire to each wheel at the plug. The wiring on the trailer is were it is split to the wheels. It may have a bad magnet to that wheel.

That's possible. I don't know about the brand of trailer Jeff has, but my Haulmark 7x14 only has brakes on one axle.

Mike , even on your trailer the wires are split at the trailer and run to each wheel.

Right. That's how it works on all trailers. I was simply pointing out that not all trailers have brakes on both axles.

My open trailer has them on both, but not the enclosed.

Jeff,

Why not contact the manufacturer or Steve?The trailer is practically new,I would think that one or the other should offer a solution.It's an avenue I would explore before coming out of my own wallet.

Jeff,

Why not contact the manufacturer or Steve?The trailer is practically new,I would think that one or the other should offer a solution.It's an avenue I would explore before coming out of my own wallet.

You know sometimes i'm such a dumb ass, I just never thought about calling Homesteader DER!!!. Steve wasnt sure

Thanks