Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

total deck restoration

Question

We finished this deck up this week also. It is aprox 15 years old and had a clear sealer applied awhile back. Half of the area is covered by a roof with an exterior plywood ceilling. There was plenty of mold and mildew and quite a bit of dead wood, primarily where there is no roof and the outsides where the UV rays have been abusing it, as well as the snow etc....We stripped everything and were even contracted to handle the roof trim, soffit, ceilling etc. (even the vent cover). which was another day to prime and paint the ceilling and trim. Took a lot of primer and a top coat of a color that the customer chose.......

post-721-137772148301_thumb.jpeg

post-721-137772148306_thumb.jpeg

18 answers to this question

what the heck...last ones..... :cool:

Mike you are just knocking out those wood jobs, your work is great!

I love to see the pictures, keep them coming

I think it is great that others are posting their work here. It is a great example of the results that can be obtained by learning to do it right.

I am not crediting TGS alone for this but I think it has played a part and that is a positive contribution.

Great job.

Rod~

Thanks Guys N Gals......

Jeff, I'd need more space cleared out to put more pics on, :) Beth, gimme more room...... :) LOL Ill remove some older ones from my posts, maybe I'll toss a couple more on later---just for you jeff, as I KNOW your a pic kind of guy !!!

Matt, This project was a referal from a deck we did that was a real disaster, like 25 years old, and we sealed that one with RS natural cedar, the owners of this one wanted the same finish, so thats what I did.

Im glad we got to do the ceiling with this one as the transition from the 6x6's with the header to the new finish above really makes a difference.

Mike,

Are you out of room??? Let me know. If you optimize the images and lower the DPI it really helps.... Don't want anyone to run out of space or have to remove photos.

Also you can use the Gallery. It's a different DB, and I think as I recall it is unlimited space on that DB per user.

Beth

Mike,

Are you out of room??? Let me know. If you optimize the images and lower the DPI it really helps.... Don't want anyone to run out of space or have to remove photos.

Also you can use the Gallery. It's a different DB, and I think as I recall it is unlimited space on that DB per user.

Beth

Beth, I reduce them to 195kb as required, its just that it says Ive reached my pic limit, so I have to enter manage attachments and delete some older ones from older threads....

Mike,

Great job. Was that a pt treated pine deck? I was like the color of that RS. It looks different than the brochure. This is why I love this board you can see the results of the various stains and have an idea what the final project is going to look like. Thanks

Mike,

Great job. Was that a pt treated pine deck? I was like the color of that RS. It looks different than the brochure. This is why I love this board you can see the results of the various stains and have an idea what the final project is going to look like. Thanks

Tracey Deg, Yup it is. The color when finished really depends on several factors, type of wood, prep, age, condition and so forth. This deck has 2 parts, one exposed to the west and the covered part. Since the exposed part sits in the sun and rain during summer and under snow in the winter, the condition of the wood is different than the covered parts, so they will look different. But they're both 15 years old or so.

Here is a pic that shows a lot of floor and the bench, not the same exact angle but the idea is there...I dont know if you can tell by the before pics, but the clear that was on there had like a varnish look in areas that it was hanging on toughly.... :)

post-721-137772148346_thumb.jpg

post-721-137772148351_thumb.jpeg