Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

I think this is artillery fungus, what do you think?

Question

Hi,

did a housewash today, and because I still am learning I did not closely inspect the vinyl siding prior to washing. After the wash (I used 1gal 12%chorine, Emulsifier + and water, X-Jet on. rinse with 65/8 tip) I saw all these tiny little black spots on the side of the house. The black spots were concentrated on the vinly going up about 7 feet and were clustered above a mulch bed. The air conditioning units were also covered with these black spots and they were installed in the mulch bed. So right away I think, these have got to be the dreaded artillery fungus. I got a little stronger tip out and tried to blast the spots away. No such luck. they didn't move.

So on a whim, I picked up a dry towel and started to wipe the vinly siding. To my suprise most of the little specks came of from just wiping when a minute prior they had withstood about 1500psi. All the tiny little black spots did not come off with the wipe, but most did. I took some pictures that didnt come out to well but you can view them below.

Could this be artillery fungus that had just recently attached itself to the side of the house and therefore had not developed a strong bond with the vinyl? If so why didn't they come off with the soap/chlorine/PW application but would come of with a simple wipe with a dry towel?

Befuddling.

Also would add that the area's of the house that did not have mulch beds at the base of the vinyl did not have the little black specks which led me to believe it definatley was artillery fungus

Here are two pics that didnt come out to well, but they may help

[ATTACH]2924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2925[/ATTACH]

post-314-137772148355_thumb.jpg

post-314-137772148359_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

Yep, that looks like artillery fungus. You may have gotten lucky, sometimes you can get it off when it hasn't been on for very long. With Vinyl you can usually try to wipe if off with a towel like that. Just don't ever try it with Aluminum siding!!!

Hey Lou,

Have you been using the recipe I gave you for the house wash? From the looks of the pics you seem to be doing well.

Regarding the fungus, I've seen it a few times, and occasionally a little can be gotten off, and I'd have to agree it's because it hasn't been there long.

Keep up the good work and you'll have plenty of work in the future!

Spider poop looks alot like artillery fungus. If you didn have a small ring left when you removed it, it is highly possible it is from that. Artillery fungus leaves a ring when you do manage to pop it off the siding.

Beth

Also, there is a big difference in pressure from water which is static pressure and dynamic pressure from your hand wiping with a cloth (physical force).

Most think that 1500psi is a lot of pressure but it is focused on a very small area. In addition, the waters natural properties are to be cohesive (sticks only to itself) unless adding a component which will make it viscous (thick) and/or adhesive. Oxidation removal for example, you can get a certain amount of the stuff off with chems and water but the best results are achieved with a brush to provide surface agitation and physical pressure.

Something to chew on for a while. ;)

Rod!~

Do you guys charge more for artillery fungus removal? It seems that if you have to brush or towel the surface to remove it, then the job becomes a major PITA!

Also, how do you recognize it as artillery fungus? I apparantly haven't run into this yet, and now I'm nervous about it.

Matt

Never ever guarantee the removal of this fungus. In fact, any little black dots, point them out and let them know that if this is the fungus, they will not come off. That way if it is spider droppings, you look like a champ and if not the expectation has been set.

Beth

Matt, rest assured, you will find it eventually - our area has a propensity for it, although landscapers are coming around :) We've been told that there is an acid that will remove it, however, we haven't found a homeowner yet that wanted to pay for that type of cleaning.

If it is bug poop, you will be able to scratch it off with a rag (can't stand the thought of poop under my nails!) and there should not be a stain left underneath. If it is artillery fungus in the first 10-14 days, you may have no residual discoloration, however, if it has been on, you will be able to scratch off the top black speck but there will be a brownish stain left on the vinyl - that is pretty impossible to remove.

We tell the homeowners about the stuff, provide printed literature, do as Beth & Rod suggested as far as promises made, offer to do the acid test then strongly suggest they take the next move which is to get rid of the mulch, treat the area and then use a different ground cover.

Celeste

Does this stuff not grow on Brick? I have used the recycled mulch around my own house for about 6 years and haven't noticed anything yet. Am I just lucky? Where can I find the above mentioned printed material?

Matt

Artillery fungus is a spore (mushroom family) that shoots out of rotting wood and mulch. It can shoot up to the second floor of a house. When its fired out from the spore it is "aimed" at the brightest area, usually white siding or a glass window. You may be able to scrape off the top but it will leave a red stain behind. Never tell a customer you can remove artillery fungus, chances are you can't. Advise them to get rid of the mulch around the house. Replace it with fake mulch (shredded car tires dyed red) or brick chips. I have been to jobs where the siding had to be replaced because of artillery fungus.

When I built my home I lined the front with brick chips just for this reason. I also bought very dark brown gutters so I don't see the black streaks that show up on white gutters.