Sign in to follow this  
mikew

Oil Changing Aid

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will give it a try.

Do you leave this attached all of the time or do you put this on when you need to change the oil?

Thanks!

Mike

Those rubber ones are almost a standard item on verticle engines as found in floor burnishers and I have used them plenty. I dislike them for such application as they are usually mounted with an elbow straight up and then ya got to bend and prop something to hold them down to drain. They drain slow and are not fun. They would work better in the horizontal engine application if laid straight down though. The ones on some onan engines I've used are better as they are fatter hose and you can just turn this little cylidrical drain valve thingy built into the end.

My Briggs twin that I just yanked off has my favorite heavy duty type. It used pipe and tapered npt elbow which now does not fit my new Honda..darn it..

If I make another it will be with brass fittings so as not to possibly induce casting sand into engine. Not sure if that can happen but why risk it?

post-2209-137772148514_thumb.jpg

If I did not run the machine first, I would still be standing out there. I will try and get a picture later.

Sorry, I just know that that's how I used to try to change the oil, and it DID take forever, until I figured out it was smart to heat the oil up a bit. I shoulda figured out that as long as you've been around, you'd probably already figured that one out! :)