Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Websites or Book on wood?

Question

Hi,

any suggestion for websites or books that would give some educational information on wood?

For instance, a resource that would identify the different types of wood, what type of wood they would be, soft or hard. what the different types of wood look like. Just some info on wood that would be educational and would help me identify the various types of wood.

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Hi,

any suggestion for websites or books that would give some educational information on wood?

For instance, a resource that would identify the different types of wood, what type of wood they would be, soft or hard. what the different types of wood look like. Just some info on wood that would be educational and would help me identify the various types of wood.

Thanks

Sun brite supply .com has these books i think ya looking for .

Lou,

I posted this on a multi page thread on stripping acrylics back in June.

There is a book available, "Understanding Wood - A Craftsman's Guide to Wood Technology" by R. Bruce Hoadley. From what I understand, it is the "bible" for serious woodworkers, and is oriented toward that craft. Its gets pretty technical at times with equations etc. but has very good illustrations and pictures and most information is understandable to the uninitiated.

It contains an amazing amount of information on wood. More than a third of the book is Part 1, "The Nature of Wood and its Properties". Chapters within this section include Wood ID, Strength of Wood, and Water and Wood"

Part 2 is "Basics of Wood Technology". Chapters include Coping with Dimensional Change in Wood, Drying Wood, and "Finishing and Protecting Wood".

Part 3 is "The Woodworker's Raw Materials". Chapters include Lumber, Engineered Wood, and Finding Wood".

Lou what I did is go to a lumber yard and got samples of every thing a deck could be made of. They have alot of scrap samples after a while you can match them up.

Excellent Idea!

So we would have PT wood, Pine, Cedar, Walnut, Ipe, any others that you can think of that are used in decks?