Sign in to follow this  
StainlessDeal

Opening Weekend

Question

This last weekend was the opening of most upland game seasons here. We did pretty well and had a great time. My dog started his tenth season, he was only forty pounds when we started, now about ninety.

I tried my hand at turkey hunting for the first time and I'm pretty sure I'll continue. I'm posting a few pics. of we ugly men in one of the most beautiful places.

post-1043-137772148623_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772148631_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772148633_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

This pic is of the hardest-working member of my hunt crew. Petey is the best hunter I know of, man or beast, and it has been my great honor to share his life. He is unwavering in his devotion, and never critcises, traits we all could try to emulate. I have learned more about being a good hunter (and man) from this dog than from any other single source. He is a great pal.:)

post-1043-137772148634_thumb.jpg

This last weekend was the opening of most upland game seasons here. We did pretty well and had a great time. My dog started his tenth season, he was only forty pounds when we started, now about ninety.

I tried my hand at turkey hunting for the first time and I'm pretty sure I'll continue. I'm posting a few pics. of we ugly men in one of the most beautiful places.

WHERES THE BEARDS? YA NEED TO HUNT THEM WITH A BOW LIKE I DO HERE IN GA

Turkey hunting is fun because it poses somewhat of a challenge.Turkeys have superb hearing and a great sense of awareness.I live in Central Pa. where the outdoors are a part of life,...and I hope it stays that way here.

post-1251-137772148635_thumb.jpg

Steve, I killed that one with a sharp stick and harsh language! lol I tease my archer and black-powder pals about using ancient technology to kill in the modern age, but the truth is that I can walk and carry a shotgun, but sitting in a stand or blind is pretty much out of the question these days for me.

I pay dearly for every mile I walk since a car accident re-arranged my priorities a while back, but if I sit for more than a few minutes in the cold, I'm done walking at all for a few days. I pretty much walk it all, now and enjoy watching the dog work.

Jeff, I hear you, Pennsylvania is a beautiful place. I was surprised when I first went there as a kid, I had assumed everything east of the Mississippi was city. I'm glad there are still gorgeous places to get away back there, I always liked trucking through that part of the world.

BTW, when I shot that turkey, I was actually hunting for pheasants and quail. They were coveyed-up like bobwhites and I picked the best shot at the largest bird I could see out of about fifty. First shot ever at a turkey.:)

I quit turkey hunting after the 1st season.You see,here in Ga. turkey season and rattle snake season start at the same time.Since I dont care for the snakes I decided I would leave my share of turkey in the woods for others.

Rattle snakes are bad enough during bow season,no need to double my chances of getting bit by chasing birds.

Scott are they really that bad?

That season,I saw 3 snakes on the way to my hunting spot and had another slip by about 10ft from me while I was waiting for a turkey.

When I started bow hunting about 8 yrs ago,I stepped on the head of a 6 1/2 ft rattle snake.It's amazing how calm you get when you know your next step could be your last.I calmly took an arrow from the quiver and pushed it through the snakes head.Once I knew I couldn't be bit,I became a bundle of nerves,I sat in the ground about 4 ft from the snake for over an hour before I was composed enough to walk back to my truck.

The snake was 6 1/2 ft,13 rattles and weighed in at just under 24lbs.

JeffW,

I grew up in Somerset County, which is Western PA. Been on many turkey hunts during spring gobbler but never had the honor to bag one. Pheasants, grouse and of course whitetail where all something I enjoyed getting.

StainlessDeal...nice bird and Thanksgiving is right around the corner :)