Sign in to follow this  
dfox99

EFC-38 and Xjet

Question

I am going to wash a wood sided house with EFC-38 and would really like to be able to do it with an xjet instead of a pump up or my Deckster. Is this possible? If so what would the mix be like as far as proportions? Thanks.

Doug Fox

18 answers to this question

The x-jet, depending on your gpm of your machine, adds roughly 2 parts water to the cleaners as it is applied(without a proportioner). So if you wanted the same strength that you use from your pump up, you would have to make it twice as strong to achieve the same net dilution.

You can adjust your strength of your concentrate from there.

this will depend on a couple of thing's. First diffrent GPM wash unit's use diffent sized x-jet's. The more GPM the less the draw rate. You will need to test your's to get the draw rate.

A 4 GPM will get a 50% draw rate and a 5 GPM will get a 33% draw rate.

Second thing is how strong do you need the cleaner to be?

2 cup's can make 5 gal's of heavy duty or 10 gal of light duty.

personaly i like the dekster idea better. I have a shur-flo and hand cart set-up.

My helper spray's on the EFC-38 as im setting up. Then i start washing. As he get's done and im cleaning he mix's and applies the brightner and we finnish at the same time[or close].

Then we pack-up and wait for it to dry.

Sometimes i'll use the x-jet to apply the gutter cleaner when the cedar is wet with the EFC-38 and wash everything at one time.

Hope this help's

Thanks that helps alot. Ron I have been impressed by all of your information on the different boards I've read over the past 3 or 4 months in starting this biz and really want to thank you and all the other selfless people who contribute. I wish I could come wash with you for a day or 2...NJ is closer to me than TN...

I really haven't used my Deckster yet except to spray a little water. I'm not sure if it has the reach I need without climbing up a ladder, that's why I wondered about the xjet.

Do you use the Hang Time (not sure if that is the right name) when you do vertical surfaces like that?

Also, the house I am doing has been maintained with proper staining on a regular basis. If I am just going to wash it in prep for resealing, will I need to brighten too? Is there a need to balance the PH with the EFC-38 like the HD 80?

Doug Fox

Upstate NY

Ron,

I hired a 20 year old kid and do the same. He had that deckster tuned in in no time and really can handle it well. He gets started and keeps it wet till dwell time is met and off he goes and I follow.. The cone tip on the deckster can shoot pretty far. I converted my deckster to electric from battery last year and love it now. Hate it when I HAVE to use the pump ups.

Doug,

Brightening after efc 38 is suggested, do you have to, according to the man who invented it, not really. It will brighten on it's own but not as fast as with citralic or oxallic. Most will brighten with citrallic or oxallic that is the more common practice. You will get much better results following the efc38 with a brightener.

I brighten everything.

With my $100 set up and a 72 inc lance or xtenda-wand i can apply chem at 100% up to 30 ft or more.

One other thing a lot of contractor's dont/wont do.

Buy a cheapo wash unit and hook it up to your chem tank.

Rinse when done. The pump's cost about the same as a shur-flo and can last a season. Housewash mix's/efc38/citric acid/soap all can be appled at 100% and 1500 psi. No bucket's to carry around and the time you save is well worth the pump cost's.

No one talk's about ROLLER PUMP'S either.

A ROLLER PUMP can make the biggest diffrence in your buissness other then more GPM then any other piece of equipment in your truck[well maybe a surface cleaner].

Im looking into this right now. Im going to talk to the local lawn fert. guy this week. I want more PSI then GPM.

Now thats a question I am interested in as well. How about it Beth, Russ can we do that and still get the same results? Also any luck with the deck in a day test with wood tux?

You cannot mix an alkaline and an acid (EFC-38 and citraulic) as their chemistry will neutralize each other out rendering both ineffective. This especially applies to a high alkaline stripper and is a big no-no... as a chemical reaction will occur and you could potentially get hurt. It's kinda like dropping cold water into a deep fryer :)

Take Care,

Greg Rentschler

Dan,

I use the deckster to apply sealer only if there is NO wind. As with any spraying of sealer. The deckster is great for applying stripper and brightner.

Reed

Greg, i thought the same as you untill i tried mixing HF with my sod. hyd. detergent.

I thought one would nuet the other. It will but it take's time.

I have mixed the two to make a buffered acid to wash polished alum and it work's. Can only mix enuff to wash a couple of truck's.

this is why i asked.

Guest rfitz

I started doing this back in april, so I could Xjet, my cleaners, what I do. is I mix EFC 38, 70% of full strength add HD80 at 30% strength, mix together Xjet

a 1000 sq ft deck in about 10 minutes and wash, results are awesome, I only apply Oxalic or citrolic if the deck needs it, most in full sun, dont need it, by the time you get back to stain it, the deck will be real light, Ive tested both ways, and didnt see a huge difference with britening, on most decks, especially if I am using the darker brown stains,

jhawk, it has a regulator on it to adjust pressure, along with a pressure gauge, all the necessary plumbing for supply and separate return, quick connect for hose. It is expensive but does work well. I ran HD 80 at full strength through it and had to replace pump parts the first time out! Sunbrite said to use their stripper...EFC 38 and other chems work well. It doesn't do well with thicker full colored stains (like gray).

I haven't used it much as I don't do much wood but am glad when I do as pump-ups on a deck is self defeating especially when the sun is shinning.

Doug Fox

Upstate NY