Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Advice on stains (locally)

Question

I stripped my old man's deck and dock today and he plans to stain it himself in a couple of days, weather permiting. He wants to put an Olympic semi transparent stain on it. I don't know much about Olympic, but would like some advice I can pass on to him about that product, or recommendations of any other quality stain that can be purchased locally. I told him I would check with my wood pro buddies on the Grime Scene.

4 answers to this question

Regular Olympic is junk. I think it goes for $8 per gallon. It will fail and be mold covered pretty quickly. Go to a paint store and you will find Deckscapes, Cabots, Sikkens SRD, or a house brand like Benjamin Moore. Stay tih an oil/alkyd and you will be fine with any of those but be prepared to spend over $25 per gallon. I have heard Olympic Maximum is a little better than the regular stuff but I never worked with it.

Olympic recently changed it's formula to become VOC compliant... I'd recommend staying away from it until you see what it will do... I'm considering dropping the Olympic line myself.

I would suggest using ready seal or wood tux for the job.