Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Those annoying Telemarketers

Question

9 answers to this question

That will not totally stop them, they will find ways around it.

It also exempts certain businesses.

I have said for years it should be OPT IN, every year we must send in notices to opt out.

Fail once and your never going to stop the junk mail.

Also what they do now is say if you opt out then you don't even get the local magazine that you pay for.

So your damned if you opt out, and damnded if you opt in.

I say OPT OUT forever.

While on this subject did you know it is illegal to send faxes to people selling things too!

One way they get around that law is it applies only within the USA, so they send them for overseas.

Tony depending on your mail carrier you can control spam, if you use Earthlink you can control it so good you won't use it, I tried it earlier this week, it blocks all mail and you then have to enter those you want to allow though.

That caused me problems, I don't have to time or paitence to check every email address and then click add to address book or block.

I use med. control yet I get on average 60 to 100 spams a day, I used to send to the state and feds, got tired of that so I just delete them.

There are programs that claim to help block spam yet you have to spend a lot of time configuring them.

A better way and one I will be doing is set up another Email address for when you browse, all spam will go there and you don't have to do a thing with it, over time it self deletes, so I am told.

Jon

Way ahead of that stuff Paul but thanks for the suggestion so others who might not be can get set up.

What bothers me the most is the telemarketing faxes that I get causing me to change my ink cartrige more often along with the paper. A real pain.:mad:

In regards to the spam email. Do not click on the unsubscribe button, as it is only a tool for them to see which addresses are valid, and they will send more.

Unsolicited faxes sometimes also have a number on the bottom to be removed from their list. I have called a few times, and never got another one from the companies that I called.

E-mail wise, I have very few problems. Every once in a while I get some junk, but not very often. I am on Adelphia now, but when I had AOL, it never stopped. Finally had to dump them for that reason.

As far as the calls go, I used to get way to many, and it seems like the more you say no, the more they feel compelled to push the issue. I finally got fed up and just told them I was on their DO NOT CALL list and they had better end the call now. ( I was not really then, but I was desperate for them to stop) That worked, they apologized profusely and then hung up. The calls have slowed down to not so many lately after telling them that I am on the list. They do listen when you say that.

Neighbor has a deal she bought at radio shack for about 50.00.

It beeps and sends a signal back to the computer that it came from and deletes her number from the computer.... She never has a problem from them again....

Matt

You can download that sound and record it right onto your answering machine. It is the three tones you hear when a phone number is not in service. Telemarketers' computers are set up to recognize that tone and remove you from their list. I have it on mine, and it has cut the calls way way down. Do an internet search for sit.wav. Just play that tone from your computer to your answering machine message, and then record your message right after it. You may have questions from friends/family, but they'll get used to it.

Actually, all you really need is the first tone of the three-tone sound. If you have a .wav editor, you can cut out the last two tones. My machine just aswers with a "beep" and then my message. Works, and saved me the $30.00 or so they want for that machine.