Sign in to follow this  
DPW1

What should I look for in a used machine I am going to buy?

Hi everyone, I tried finding a place to introduce myself but didnt find anything so HI, I'm Felix from South Florida! you can obviously look over my profile and all that junk and ask me questions etc. Advise and pointers is/are also always accepted lol:lgbow:

ok so anyway, here is the deal, i am going to look at an 11.5 hp honda engine 3500 or 4000 psi(the guy isnt sure) machine. my question is, what should i look for? im obviously going to ask him to let me run it, what should it sound like, etc?

the price seems too good to be true . . . he says he is just trying to get rid of it cause he became handicapped and cant use it. i figure, for the price, its worth taking a look at it. he wants 350, even if it dies on me and it costs me another 350 to get fixed, im still ahead of the game right? i mean 700 bucks for a tip top shape 3500 or 4000 psi pressure washer is still cheaper than what i would pay if i bought it anywhere else right?

so what do you guys think?

thanks in advance for your help. i appreciate it

another quick question . . . is it just me or is it not possible to have an 11.5 hp or above crappy machine . .. by which i mean 1500 psi or something like that? is there some list somewhere of what machines carry the honda engine? is it possible to narrow them down to a short list? i was told once that 11.5 and up is commercial grade . . .?

you need to ask how many gallons per minute does the machine put out.its probally around 3 to 5 gpm .and is the pump in good shape .put 100 ft high pressure hose on and see if it has pressure.youll know right a way.has the machine been serviced under normal conditions.oil should be changed every 20 hrs under constant use daily.as far as sound .if it sounds strong it may be okay .you could have a head pressure check. done.what did he use it for

With that psi and horsepower I am guessing the gpm is three or lower which I doubt most professionals consider commercial gear. It sounds like you are buying it from a homeowner? There is a brand new machine on ebay that is 4 gpm and runs for $500. (it looks like a barbecue grill and is probably a POS)

Felix I'm sorry for picking on you and I'm gonna open my mouth and insert my foot right into it but with a name like Discount Pressure Washing (in Florida no less) you may not want to spend too much on a machine. My first piece of advice, if it's not too late is to think of a new name to DBA.

If it runs good $350 is probably what it's worth. I'm sure it's a direct driven pump and only 2-3 gallons per minute. The gallons per minute is where your speed comes from and where you make your money, not the psi. What are you planning on washing? And no offense but your name just gives me the impression of CHEAP and unprofessional. I'm not saying this is what you are or what you plan on being it's just my opinion. Lowballing others on price is not a good long term way to pick up work. Quality and good service is a better option. Again don't take it the wrong way but to me that is what your name implies. Just my .02 cents.

Commercial grade would usually be considered a minimum of: 13hp, 3,000 psi, 4gpm. Most established outfits have a minimum of: 18hp, 5gpm, 3,000 psi. Your gpm is going to be one of the biggest factors to increase speed and effeciency. Use the search function on this bbs, and read away. You will find many answers to your questions there.

The others may have come on a little strong about the name choice, but in all honesty, the're right. The best way to make a successful go at your new endeavor is to focus on quality over quanity. Starting out taking a lowballer postion will keep your pockets empty, and likely put you out of business in a hurry.

you know, to be honest with you . . . i had already been thinking of a different name. i have lurking around this board for a while and have been trying to learn here and there. i came the same realization and as of a week ago or so i decided that this name makes me sound cheap . . . and i dont mean prices.

i must confess, when i thought of the idea, the first thing i thought of was to lowball and beat everyones prices. i have since learned of the integrity and passion and dignity that goes into this business from two things: 1. what ive learned from all you on here and what the whole starting my personal sweat and tears business. i started to respect it more and more as i put more of myself and my money into it. i realize now how not only would being 50 or 100 bucks cheaper than the "other guy" put me in the poor house quick, it would not satisfy me nor do justice to people who stay up late at night learning about how to be part of a more profesional, reliable and quality outfit by getting certified or simply reading on here so they can do a better job for their customers and feel some sense of worth within themselves and be proud of the work they do . . . i also became that person myself. so for that, thank you and thanks to the guy who bought the machine from under me.

i dont know how i will grow my business from this point cause i have no more investment money and not so hot credit to lease any equipment . . . but i will figure something out. and don't worry, like i said, i have already been thinking of different names. although, this screen name sure will look funny if it has nothing to do with my company's name lol think i could get that changed . . . ?? lol

thanks again for you insight and enough respect for yourselves, me and -our- industry to tell it to me straight. i respect that and appreciate it.

anyone know anyone out there that would be willing to help a newb out with some financing/leasing on some decent gear? i hear there are some shop owners or what not on the board that might be willing?

anywho, thanks a million guys . . . i really appreciate it. i just hope to learn more and more from all of you. thanks again

Check out Watercannon in Orlando for machines, belt drive would be best and I would rather save for that, but they have some 4 gpm machines direct drive that are less $$.

Also i know nothing about Ebay, but I know alot of guys who buy equipment off Ebay at great prices

Good luck & yes remember Quality Work, Competitive Rate & On Time Service will get you the work

JL

thanks for the heads up on the belt drive thing i will search on here for more info on the differences and you guys' opinions on why belt drive is better than direct drive.

i have since learned of the integrity and passion and dignity that goes into this business from two things: 1. what ive learned from all you on here and what the whole starting my personal sweat and tears business. i started to respect it more and more as i put more of myself and my money into it.

i dont know how i will grow my business from this point cause i have no more investment money and not so hot credit to lease any equipment . . . but i will figure something out. and don't worry, like i said, i have already been thinking of different names. although, this screen name sure will look funny if it has nothing to do with my company's name lol think i could get that changed . . . ?? lol

Bravo, Felix. I guess when it comes to the practice of price undercutting, it strikes a nerve with all of us that do put our hearts and souls into our businesses every waking hour. I wish I could help you with financing options. I am very creative when it comes to raising capital for investment. If you'd like we could put our thoughts together and see what we can come up with for you. You seem like a genuine, straight shooter whom can accept and understands guidance. If there is anything I can do to help along your journey, let me know.

Check out Watercannon in Orlando for machines, belt drive would be best and I would rather save for that, but they have some 4 gpm machines direct drive that are less $$.

Also i know nothing about Ebay, but I know alot of guys who buy equipment off Ebay at great prices

Good luck & yes remember Quality Work, Competitive Rate & On Time Service will get you the work

JL

Water Cannon doesn't have an actual brick and mortar store front in Orlando. They are strictly "mail order only." A FL resident has to pay tax and shipping.

We are now distributing the Pressure Pro line (Same equipment Water Cannon sells). From pressure washers to surface cleaners, reels, fittings, etc, we can provide you with the same great equipment at very competitive prices. I had hoped to keep this under wraps until after the first of the year to coincide with some other announcements, but several of you FL guys have expressed interest in new hot water skids. If you're willing to pick it up in Orlando, I can save you the shipping costs. If not, it can be drop-shipped to you. Anyone interested in saving some money and purchasing some new equipment, give me a call and I can get you quoted.

Good for you Felix, now we see that you are serious about the biz, I applaud your openmindedness.

This time last year I was very serious about getting into this industry myself, and had been researching since October. I decided to go with a belt driven unit 4gpm even though start up funds were tight. I got started part time with my tax refund of $4,000. That was for everything I needed from equipment to insurance. I made all of it back and then some. Good luck and keep researching.

If you are serious about the business... avoid a direct drive machine... I made a few poor decisions starting my business. I have two direct drive machines / cat pumps in the garage I do not use that are for sale.

They were ok to start with, but I quickly found that I needed less pressure and more gpm flow. I also found out that I need machines that could draft from a float or supply tank.

For this you either need your tank higher than your direct drive machine or have gear / belt drive machines. Please call any number on the card below, I will be happy to explain the other newbie mistakes I made along the way...

If you lowball / discount your price... buy a cheap machine... you wont need it long. You are making a smart choice by using these bbs and accepting the advise that the pros post here .... they have made me a lot of money.

Most pressure washers with the 11hp Honda are 4gpm @3200psi. If that's what it is, and it's in good shape, it may be worth buying to get started. In the future when you upgrade, you can always keep the machine for an emergency backup.

well like i mentioned before . .. some jack*** bought it out from under me. . . i was soooo . . . i dont know . . . almost heartbroken

man have i really grown to love/respect this business since i made it mine. lol

oh well, i will have to wait till i find an extra 1500 bucks lying around under the couch cushions maybe . . .lol

DPW, sorry you missed out on your machine. From your tone, it sounds like you got eBay'd! I sure can't 'wait' until I have the extra $1,500 laying around...just doesn't happen. It gets spent real quick and not on fun stuff, either. I just got a Christmas card yesterday from my kids orthodontist. Thanks for that. Decide what you want to have (setup wise)in 3 months, put a price on it, and make it all about saving where you can to work towards this first small goal.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers,

/neil

no it wasnt ebay . . . i learned from reading on here and from looking around and realllllly thinking about it that ebay is not the way to go . . . for me at least.

it was some guy with cash in hand that went to the dudes house while i was at work . . . i was supposed to show up at 6pm with the cash and this dude shows up bright and early

i can understand . . . cash is cash - business is business

anyway, i have decided that 1. i need to set a monetary goal i.e. what is it gonna cost me and 2. start a fund (piggy bank, savings account, cookie jar, whatever) and put money towards that.

right now, this is the POS i have .. lol

Campbell Hausfeld 2200 PSI, 2.0 GPM Gas Pressure Washer with 6 HP Briggs & Stratton EngineModel: PW2200 reddot_b.gif Cast aluminum pump with brass manifold-lightweight, efficient for high performancereddot_b.gif Compact cart design is easy to move and storereddot_b.gif Thermal relief valve protects pump and extends lifereddot_b.gif Accessory storage for greater convenience reddot_b.gif Warranty: 1 yearreddot_b.gif Approx. Retail-New Unit: $371.00 pw_PW2200_95x150.gif

The PW2200, 2200 PSI, 2.0 GPM Gas Pressure Washer features a 6 HP Briggs & Stratton Quantum Engine, Durable Cast Aluminum Pump with Brass Manifold and Thermal Relief Valve to protect pump, 2 Piece Metal Gun & Lance with 25 ft. High Pressure Hose, and a Compact Cart Design.

I'm the guy that doesn't research what would be best for him/his situation untill the second time around . . . otherwise known as impulse buyer( not the isuzu ;) )

so NOW that i'm researching and doing my homework, i hope to buy a much better/more suitable/professional machine. . . . someday :(

I was figuring I could rent a decent machine for jobs just to get jobs period. and save some of that money to be able to pay for a machine of my own.

just like leasing but I can't lease cause my credit isn't so hot right now.

it would be expensive and pretty much not worth it (money wise) but the way i see it, it would get me 1.experience and 2. at least a LITTLE money to put towards my own machine . . . not to mention, my name gets out there . . . whatever the hell thats gonna be!? lol

maybe we should have a contest . . . you have to pick my company's name . . . the prize? . . . geez, uhm i have a beer coozie from key west on my desk right now .. . .some gum . . .??? no, wait, i ate that already . . sorry lol

When we first got started we were in the same place. You need to look at this if you buy a 4 gpm machine there will be jobs you can not take on because they will be to large. I went to the buy our pressure washer and got a 8 gpm for our 1st machine with a down patment they let me take it on 90 days same as cash that was trailer , water tank and everything I needed to get started so look into that. Feel free to pm me your number and i can call and help you if you would like.

So back to your name thing.....You could simply change the Discount to "Dependable" and base your company on your dependability using Jeff's MO of Quality Work and On Time Service. It would certainly be as simplistic as Discount but not lend the air of a lower price or quality (and you wouldn't have to change your gmail address)!

Celeste :)

haha, thanks Celeste . . . i thought of dependable. . . hell, i thought of every D word that exists . . . i ended up choosing extericlean cause it gives me the chance to expand from driveways and parking spots into walls and pahtways and stairwells and roofs etc etc. . . the way i see it, its a name i can grow into . . . besides, i can always get a new gmail address.

i am actually waiting to hear back about an estimate on the condos i live in right now. its 4 buildings with about 80 units and about 150-200 parking spots.

that alone might get me my own machine and get me started lol(i had an inside connection that is helping me out-cross your fingers for me!)

now to the "how the hell do i charge them / do this right?" forum lol