1. 1. neutralize

• Do you netralize ?
    • With what chemical do you neutralize?
    • What do you use on hard wood?
    • What do you use on soft wood?

Question

25 answers to this question

Steve,

Just for future reference, a poll is based on a question, and the choices represent possible answers to the question, to find out the popular opinion. Hope this helps. You might want to redo this thread to get the info you are looking for...unless you are just asking questions....? Not sure.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_poll_explain

Beth

p.s.

Yes, citralic acid, on all wood types.

Yes...oxalic.
i found not rinsing ;the sealer works into the pores better and brightens more.thats just me.i did an expermit to see what happened .and not rinsing worked better and the ready seal look better and lasted longer.this was a 2.5 yr test on my personel deck.i one half rinse and other no rinse .my deck is 2400 sq ft .its like it pulls the sealer in faster.it is pt 2 yrs young

Oxalic and I DON'T rinse either. RS likes the wood to be on the acidic side and results are better with RS by not rinsing.
i mtself leave oxcilic on cause rs seems to do better.and look better.this is the way i do myself.

I leave it on for a long time before rinsing, I apply then clean up, wrap up, pack up everything then rinse with a garden hose. Maybe I'll try leaving it on, but only if there is no kids or pets living on the property. we'll give it a shot.

We're using oxalic right now. Leaving it on and then sealing. I might try a rinse now though, how long do I wait before rinsing?

Mike

when acid is applied to the pt.its changes right before your eyes.the wood can only get so bright.

For those who do not rinse...

Are you aware that Oxalic acid is poisonous and causes sterility?

Do you also realize the liability you expose yourselves to by knowingly leaving this chemical exposed for people and pets to come into contact with?

I dont look for anyone to answer here, but I thought it would be something to seriously consider.

Rod~

We use Oxialic acid as well, but rinse prior to application of stains. Have not really tried not rinsing, but heard that stains may not adhere as well. I see from the threads, others have had the opposite effects though!?!?!

What type of stains are you using, brand names?

It depends on which stain product I use if i rinse just prior to application of stains.

Cabot's has an awsome product, SPF that is formulated to apply while wet/damp substrate. Most all others that I am familar with and use must be dry. I have been using hte Cabot's SPF for more than a couple of years and it gives outstanding results.

Wolman's Extreme has some that work very well, but has less sheen than customers prefer, the other product I use on a limited basis is SIKKENs.

Gee...I was under the impression that Cabot's SPF was new this year - 2005.

It's an acrylic, so we don't use it. Thought about it, but decided not to.

We don't use Wolman's Extreme anymore.....used to. It was discontinued in the northern states, due to issues with cracking and peeling....again, it's an acrylic and can get messy in northern climates.

We like Sikkens' SRD and have also applied the DEK. We also like Cabot's Australian Timber Oil. Our primary product, is Wood Tux.

Beth