Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Fear of high pressure

Question

I’ve been noticing that a lot of my customers are scared of the high pressure method of washing their siding. It seems that I have to constantly sell my low pressure (x-jet) method of soaking their house in chemicals then rinsing. It seems that the general public sees pressure cleaning as dangerous and risky. I’ve heard things like “ will it blow off my siding?’ or “will you shoot water behind the siding causing damage?” I always have to explain that the high pressure, fan tip, no soap method is outdated. Was there an issue with this years ago that I don’t know about like a 60 minutes or a huge news article bashing pressure cleaning? I’ll be in a neighbor hood on a weekend when everybody is outside doing their thing and not have one person walk up or call and every one of their houses are filthy with at least one side green and moldy. I’ve pumped out three different ads, from direct mail to magazines to homes that are full of mold and never get a call. I still have a lot of work, but for the amount of advertising and the level of filth in my area I should have more than triple the business.

We need, as the pressure cleaning community, to do something to reassure the public that washing your house is not dangerous and only benefits them, like a got milk commercial or the things that the beef industry do.

6 answers to this question

Many people I meet say the same thing. I use it as an opportunity to educate them why I'm the perfect person to wash their house. If they ask, "will it damage my house?" I exclaim, "Of course it will! Anyone who uses high pressure on your siding will damage it. It's not pressure that cleans, it's the amount of water, temperature and proper cleaning solutions that do the cleaning. We use only premium grade cleaning solutions at low pressure and and all of our equipment is adjustable to suite your specific cleaning needs."

Use something like this in your ads and answer their questions before they ask them.

I think this is a product of public education whether it be by other pw'ers or the media it is correct.

After speaking with mfr's, they have helped me to understand the mechanics and science behind their different types of siding and all of them warn against high pressure and the imminent effects of it. Not possible effects mind you. The only variable is the different methods of understructure construction and insulation which the siding is covering.

You are right to go low pressure and avoid problems in the future.

In regards to the lack of response you are experiencing...it is recommended by the mfr that siding be cleaned on a regular basis and specifically to avoid mildew and algae growth which can lead to degradation on the surfaces where it is allowed to occur. I suggest you focus on the side that needs cleaning and see what you can drum up with that angle as you should be able to market educate your customers of the detrimental effects of not doing anything and the methods you employ. Educate an instill consumer confidence. It works.

Rod~

I have no problem selling my work, it's my strongest area. My whole point to this thread is about the public's fear of pressure washing. I've been seeing it more and more and it worries me. It also makes me wonder where they are hearing it and how we can dispel the myths.

thanks for the siding insight Rod.

how we can dispel the myths.

Myths? Pressure washing can be dangerous, when done improperly. It's not a myth, it's a fact. This will (in my opinion) never change. The key is to continue to educate the public. This is one reason we are PWNA members. It helps with regards to this issue.

Beth