Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

10 tips to doing gutters

Try blowing out the downspouts as much as possible before you hit the gutter line. Doing this will offer the water to go down the spout vs spilling over. If there is a ton of debri in the gutters you will find it very difficult if not impossible from preventing the debri from blowing out.

I highly recommend getting the extension pole that Pressure Pro spoke about in the above post. You may want to add a shepherd's hook to that for the nook and cranny's that you may come acrosss.....

Here's a funny method proposed by a handyman mag...

Tools needed: 1 leaf blower and 1 umbrella

Insert leaf blower nozzle into bottom of downspout, open umbrella and turn on leaf blower.

(you can imagine the rest)

This of course was just to get the stuff blown out of the downspout and was an intermediary method for those who could not use a ladder.

Rod!~

1. Proper cleaner (each to his own on this one....I like butyl-based degreasers, others use Gutter Zap)

2. A method to apply said cleaner. For 1 and 2 story houses, I like a pump-up backpack sprayer. Others use ShurFlo. Some use concentrated cleaner and an Xjet or downstreamed solution for faster application.

3. A ladder to reach gutters higher than 2 story.

4. An extension high pressure pole and perhaps an extension brush as well for rinsing.

5. A face mask to protect your face and eyes from caustic that falls back down. It will happen. And a floppy hat to protect your head and neck. And gloves. Make sure your hose connections are tight so cleaner doesn't leak out of your applicator and run back down your arms and soak your armpits. I hate it when that happens.

6. If you are going to clean out the gutters, it helps to have a rake and a few trash bags so you can clean up your mess. Nothing like cleaning one thing and messing up another to look unprofessional.

7. Glass cleaner and extension squeegee...if you spray the gutters you can bet that you are going to get the windows wet too. If you aren't quick enough to rinse the windows (as in the situation where you downstream) you will leave streaks. And check to make sure that your gutter cleaner won't etch glass.

8. Get in a rhythm of applying cleaner and rinsing. Gutters *should* go very quickly if you have your equipment set up in an efficient manner.

9. Don't allow the cleaner to sit for too long....even a mild degreaser will dissolve the paint on gutters and give a little too much shine if allowed to dwell for too long.

10. Charge enough money so that you don't curse yourself for undertaking the job while halfway up the ladder on a windy day with burning eyes and wet armpits.

Important tools:

Ladder with Stand offs: put the standoffs on the roof above the gutter you are working on. This will allow you to work safer and not do damage to the gutter.

Gutter Getter: A spoon like tool that treads onto a pole.

6' pole: this is the longest I feel comfortable using. It allows me to get a side in two sets. If I can walk the roof this allows me to keep from bending over all the time.