Sign in to follow this  
SprinklerGuy

Great Forum...TY...repeat business question

Question

Hello all...I am a lawn sprinkler company owner and have been for about 13 years...the last 4 of those years have been spent in Colorado after growing up in the Phx Metro area in Arizona...what a culture shock it was 4 years ago moving here....4 seasons per day...wood decks and siding versus stucco and cement...I have been trying to figure out a new way to make a living or a way to supplement my living. In the last year or so, the research has become more hurried and desperate as my company of 10 years in AZ fell apart without my direct involvement and I sold it 6 mths ago. Needless to say, the weather here isn't the same as Arizona and has caused me to reevaluate...5 months of business is tough to live on...get my drift?

Anyway, long story longer...In the winter I have been building houses and decks with my buddies here in Colorado that are home builders and done a little handymanning here and there for myself. I am good with my hands and my father is a carpentar so the wood is in my blood. I love working with it, however, after enjoying repeat business at its finest in the sprinkler business I am always trying to apply that sort of thing to every other industry/profession that I research. You should know that the deck and siding on my home are my research areas..that is where I will start as my deck is bad bad bad...and my wife wants to lighten the solid stain on my home.... So finally, here are my questions:

In Restoring the wood surfaces of homes and or decks there seems to be a 2 step process..(more than 2 steps honestly, but I am simplifying to keep your attention!) I have read all the archives and devoured the information.

You strip the deck....you refinish the deck. But is that the end of your relationship with the client?

Can you on a yearly basis come back and brighten the finish you applied without damaging the finish?

This applies to decks and cedar sided homes.

The reason I ask this is because there are an endless supply of homes and decks in my immediate area and even more of them 45 minutes away from me. My area is particularly appealing because the majority of the owners are affluent...I think they would be up for a yearly inspection and cleaning of their wood surfaces once they were educated. There is only one other significant company in town and they don't market themselves properly, leaving a huge hole in the market for someone else to fill.

Please take a minute in your busy schedules to help me out with these questions and accept my thanks for your professionalism on these boards. I frequent many other types of boards...doing research or participating in my own field...and I don't see the infighting or pissing matches here that I see there...you should be commended for that.

On a side note...the wood restoration would not be my only efforts in the PW arena...I would also pursue the standard stuff as well...flatwork and drive thrus etc...I am a huge proponent in finding not only multiple streams of revenue but recurring streams as well and this business appears to be suitable.

Thanks again in advance!

7 answers to this question

If you are serious about wood restoration then call the following contact information. Russell will take you from there.

Good luck!!

Russell Cissell

Extreme Solutions, Inc.

1-866-536-7393

636-288-8512 - Cell

2000 N. Broadway St. Louis, MO 63102

Hola, sprinkler guy, and welcome to the world of cold and snow. I'll keep the mention of products generic though I, like Carlos, am partial to ES wood restoration detergents.

Yes, you can set up maintenance contracts with customers for decks. After you strip/brighten/seal a customers deck you can come back the following year for a cleaning. Without keeping the deck free from dirt and mold the finish will fail sooner. You will also have customers that want the horizontals coated every year.

It's good you can fill a niche. This business, like any, is all about the marketing. You want to gross $100k+ a year per crew, you can do it if you get your name out there enough.

Don't rule out housewashing in your repetoire. It is a niche in my area that is tremedously profitable and lucky enough for me, mold grows back. Some guys pursue commercial flatwork because it is recurrent but the margins are too low for my tatstes and the hours are often the same I experienced in kitchen exhaust cleaning. That's my take. Lots of good people here that wil help you out.

Thank you for not making your first post, how do I start everything for under two grand!

Ken

I have been around message boards the last 12 years and know better than to make the mistake of bring up money right away ;) Besides, its not about the start up costs for me..neither is it about the short term financial gain...for me it is a marathon not a sprint.

Thanks for the welcome...thanks for the ideas thus far...keep up the brainstorming if you will.....

Sprinkler,

Welcome to the board, sounds like you've got your head square and that will lead people to help you more than you can imagine. You are in an area with lots of wood and a surprisingly-long work season. I am sure housewashing is fine, but remember you won't have the yearly mold re-growth like back east. I know a guy in your state that does WELL with a biz building custom decks and refinishing them, and that would be a year-round biz. Might go well with your const. background, though wouldn't be as repetitive of a biz. Keep asking--we'll keep helping.

Welcome to TGS. There are many "woodies" here that I'm sure would be more then happy to help. I just wanted to jump in and welcome you to the forum.

:cheers:

You strip the deck....you refinish the deck. But is that the end of your relationship with the client?
No, there is regular maintenance to keep up the integrity of the finish.
Can you on a yearly basis come back and brighten the finish you applied without damaging the finish?
This depends entirely upon 2 major factors.

1- the type of finish and its durability

2- the weather conditions that are prominent

These 2 factors combined will help to determine the frequency. Also in regard to your question specifically, it depends upon what you are using to clean with.

As Carlos said, give Russ a call and take your company to the next level.

This BBS while rich with contributions can offer a great deal of info but you will have a tough time piecing the information together from what you read and will give you literally a collage of information. IMO...It is better to be taught in a coordinated and well structured learning environment.

Good luck and Welcome to TGS.

Rod!~

Thanks guys...this reminds me of the sprinkler business.....many products..all do much the same thing, but everyone thinks their product is the best.

Ford vs Chevy type of thing.

I agree on the training....a smart guy may be able to learn what he needs on his own...will he screw up? Probably....and his friends deck may never be the same...I believe in being taught when it is available...I believe that training is invaluable and worth every penny. That being said...it is tough to decide which way to turn based on heresay and second hand information.

I am going to stick around over the winter...watch the boards and see what happens. I think my instinct will tell me which system is right for me. My biggest concern is my area and its idiosyncrasies. Humidity..types of wood used etc.

I am a fairly independent person...I will figure this stuff out through trial and error if I have to or I will get "schooled" if I have to...but I'm not spending a dime until I figure out wether or not I can do this for a living...I love what I do now and I'm just looking for other options at this point. I do know that I truly enjoy seeing the before and after pics...and I can imagine the satisfaction one receives from the look on the client's face....much better than giving my client a bill for 500 bucks for fixing something buried in the dirt that they will NEVER see ever ever ever....

Thanks again...look for my many posts....I have lots of questions..hopefully none of them considered redundant.

Thanks again