Sign in to follow this  
JFife

keeping stripper fresh

Question

One thing that annoys me about storing stripper and brightener (i think) is that they absorb water and crystalize (is the term 'pentahydrate'?). One thing that is aggravating about working out of small tubs of powder is this issue. Do you guys deal with this?? Minimize it? Transfer stripper into managable containers to be added to a 5er? Carry MIXED product??

8 answers to this question

Jon,

I keep my powdered chems in a plastic 5gal bucket w/lid...once i open the 55/25lb. bags.

I have minimal crystalized chems even with all the humidity here in Tx.

Jon,

Are you referring to cryohydrate? This is a deliberate action by a combination of substances in concentration to create a freezing point.

Or are you talking about the product falling out of solution (precipitating) and forming crystals?

Rod!~

Rod,

I'm talking about how you open your tub of (say) HD80 after you've done three decks with it, and the product is in chunks. The term may be "anhydrous", but it is something like that. Basically, those chems absorb moisture. For instance, I had a bag of Naoh half full in my garage that I didn't seal the top of, and within a short amount of time it was as hard as concrete. The trick (like shane said) is to keep moisture away from it, as well as Oxygen, but easier said then done. That is why I asked how everyone kept theirs from getting chunky.

Jon,

Thanks for the explanation.

We don't have that problem with the tubs that ESI ships their product in.

The problem I have is when my crew doesn't use a dry cup to scoop with and get water inside the bucket and then the clumps form.

I like Beth's answer best but in relation to the problem you are having I don't think it would be sufficient. Sounds like you need a different container with a seal to keep out this moisture problem you are having. Forgive me if I am stating the obvious but keeping the naoh in a bag should be a temporary thing until you can transfer it into a more suitable container for storing.

I have had to pick up some extra buckets of various sizes for storing products in and HD or Lowe's has them. Empty buckets with lids that have a seal ring in them. Have you looked into them yet?

Also, we only activate product in the field and avoid having more than a gallon in activation upon completion. The activated product will be utilized on the next project before any additional product is activated and diluted or concentrated as needed. Any left over is placed into one of the used 30lb ESI containers with the label specific to itself and sealed. I also mark on the bucket in bold lettering SOLUTION for DOT Hazmat purposes.]

Lately ESI has been shipping product in 10lb pails. Fortunately I have a number of 30lb pails to transfer them into for use in the field.

Rod!~