Sign in to follow this  
SprinklerGuy

Temperature

Question

I did a search..found part of what I was looking for but I am interested in specifics....answer this question if you would please.

When the nightime temps are falling below ( ) we are done for the year.

In my immediate area it is a mountain community...the temps are below 30 most nights now and I am sure the season is over. However, in the big town 45 minutes away from me...the temps may be consistently over 35-40 degrees at night and 50 in the daytime....safe to continue or not safe?

I am trying to gauge my actual season and when it will begin and end.

If the temps are too cold for decks..can you still do fences?

Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

Wow..that's gonna make for a very short season here....hmmmmm.

Average High temp in april is 54.5 average low for april is 21.7

May high is 64.1 low is 29.2

June high is 73 Low is 36

July high is 77 low is 40.6

august high is 74.9 low is 40.4

Would you ever work here?

If your doing other kinds of PWing other than wood, you can work real close to freezing, day time temps. We've been in high 20's to low 30's nights and been working every day when temps are 35 and up, usually gets up to 45- 60 days

Just something to think about, theres alot of work out there other than wood, althou I read you'd like to specialize in mainly wood

Good luck

JL

I understand that I will have to diversify in order to work the "shoulder" months..and I have no problem with that...I just hate to think that I have a window of 3 months to do wood work....

I guess the biggest problem is the wood itself...freezing temperatures and the moisture in the wood will cause the pores of the wood to close...correct?

If they don't open up again with steady warmer temps...then I cannot apply sealant.

If it is above 45 during the day and gets below freezing at night during my shoulder months...will the few hours of freezing temps at nite cause me problems? Keep in mind that our humidity is very low here.

Thanks

I understand that I will have to diversify in order to work the "shoulder" months..and I have no problem with that...I just hate to think that I have a window of 3 months to do wood work....

I guess the biggest problem is the wood itself...freezing temperatures and the moisture in the wood will cause the pores of the wood to close...correct?

If they don't open up again with steady warmer temps...then I cannot apply sealant.

If it is above 45 during the day and gets below freezing at night during my shoulder months...will the few hours of freezing temps at nite cause me problems? Keep in mind that our humidity is very low here.

Thanks

I have a customer in Pegosa Springs Co. who was still staining in Nov.Now he was working on a cedar house and rough cedar will take the stain better than PT pine anyday.

The stain he buys from me can be applied @ 40 degrees and above.He was having freezing temps then 50's during the day with no problems.

Your low humidity should help you applying the stain with those low moisture levels.

If you are having freezing temps at night but get a "bright sunny day"50's and the wood is fully exposed you shouldn't have a problem.

Like Ken said if you follow the manufacturer's applicating requirements per the product you are using you'll be safe.Especially if you have a problem with the product you won't have warranty problems with the maker of the stain.

Sprinkler Guy,Several stains can be applied close to freezing. Readyseal applies down to freezing, with a quick "set" in the 40's. Permachink waterbased stains apply down to 40 with a 2 hr cure. Those are only for verticals at this time. A big thing you can do to minimize temperature impact on stripping is to use a dry method, such as cob blasting, in conjunction with a low temp penetrating oil finish. It is then possible to strip a house by blasting one wall at a time, buffing, and immediately coating with the low temp stain.

Wow..that's gonna make for a very short season here....hmmmmm.

Average High temp in april is 54.5 average low for april is 21.7

May high is 64.1 low is 29.2

June high is 73 Low is 36

July high is 77 low is 40.6

august high is 74.9 low is 40.4

Would you ever work here?

That is a fairly cold climate. I think it will be in your favor to maybe target market towards your higher end clientele as THE area's woodworking expert and make sure your pricing tiers compensate accordingly. If you can build decks during the colder months or perhaps offer a service that is oriented towards your climate (plowing etc) you may be okay. Your business plan is going to have to be tight. You are smart to spend this time researching.

sprinkler,

I am quite familiar with your area, and I'd say you have close to a nine month season. yes, things will get slower in the colder temps, and yes, the profit margins will adjust slightly, but you can compensate for it. I work year-round. I am staining a home today in northern Missouri. For the next month and a half, I'll focus on something different, and by Feb15, I'll start prepping houses for finishing the 1st of March. You gotta know your products and methods, and you can make things happen most of the year, especially where you are at. The deck guys in Denver go year-round.

Thanks guys....John Fife...respectfully, our climate is nothing like Denver's....

We are at 10,000 feet..they are at "mile high"...ugh I hate the Broncos....

Their average highs in summer are a good 10-15 degrees higher than ours..but the big difference is that their average lows are 15-20 degrees higher than ours.

I know it seems like I'm trying to talk myself out of this...LOL...Truly I am not..I am just trying to be realistic..the last thing I want to do is go from a 7 month per year business to one that is much shorter....

Ha Ha...thanks for all the help guys...luckily for me Colorado Springs is pretty close to me...that is where I install and repair lawn sprinklers in the "season"...they are much like Denver....

Thanks