Sign in to follow this  
Cleaner Image

Question on house/gutter washing

Question

26 answers to this question

Extra charge.. My basic housewash gets them clean. If the customer wants to pay the extra I will make them shine. Many guys say it's part of the housewash. I totally disagree. If that is the case then dirty sidewalks, a dirty roof, and anything that can detract from the look of a clean house should be included. Where does it end?

Currently, when I quote a cleaning for the house wash the gutters are included. Most gutters I can clean with a few quick strokes from the brush.

If they are really bad or for houses that have something at or above 2 stories where it really takes the extra effort to get to, a ladder, I will charge extra.

I will discuss this with the home owner and walk around with them before and after, take photos before and after and give them. I find that some home owners get amnesia about how dirty things were after they have been cleaned!! Nothing like a photo to illustrate.

My thought is the outside of the gutters are part of the house, and therefor should be cleaned. It's built into the price.

To me, not cleaning the gutters/fascia, would be like getting a car wash and them not cleaning the bumpers. It's part of the car and so the whole thing should be cleaned completely.

However, if your sales advertising is set at a low price to get the call, then you go there and upsell to get the price you need to be competitive, then that's another story.

An example that comes to mind is, around here carpet cleaning companies offer cheap deals like $19 per room for a general cleaning. Upsells include spot removal, pet odor removal, and even scotch garding upon completion.

That's my take.

I agree with Tony on gutters/facia must be cleaned on the each house wash. That is one of my selling points when I give a quote on a job, I like a house to have curb apeal which means the black streaks on the gutters must go. I refuse to do a house wash without doing the gutters because I don't want my name on a job that is not complete.

Happy New Year to all!

For those that would definitly upcharge for (exterior) gutter cleaning.black streak removal......

Just for sake of discussion. How would you handle a customer that wanted the house washed, but would not go the increased price for doing gutters?

1)Would you do them anyway?

2)Would you stand by your price and only accept the work to wash the house and leave the gutters?

3)Would you not do the job at all?

My housewash mix has been refined and refined a few hundred times (it seems) to the point now where it cleans very effectively and even the guttters come up pretty nicely. I would never leave anything unwashed, but if a customer wants their gutter restored to 'like new' and I have to use additional equipment and specialty cleaners I think it is 100% justified to upcharge.

The painters I hired to paint the inside of my workshop didn't get windex and clean the windows even though the dirt and dust detracted from their paint job. I wouldn't have expected them too either.

It's not really right or worng. Some people prefer all inclusive restaurants where you get soup, salad, bread, and beverage. Since I drink water and don't eat salads I'd rather not have the cost of these things built into the price of my meal.

John Wray, I would argue that a carwash is not complete without wax and Armor-All on the tires. I have yet to find a place that includes these services without an extra charge.

Facia is cleaned with house wash, but if a home has a lot of black streaks on the gutters I upsell it. I give the homeowner the option. I tell them the ext. of the gutters will be cleaned but the house wash mix generally will not remove the black steaks I explain I use a specialty cleaner and brush the gutters for more $$$. Usually 85% of the people will pay to remove black streaks the rest dont even care about the streaks

JL

For those that would definitly upcharge for (exterior) gutter cleaning.black streak removal......

Just for sake of discussion. How would you handle a customer that wanted the house washed, but would not go the increased price for doing gutters?

1)Would you do them anyway?

2)Would you stand by your price and only accept the work to wash the house and leave the gutters?

3)Would you not do the job at all?

I will turn down the job if the gutters have bad black streaks that I know will not be cleaned with my normal house wash. I just don't want my name on a job that is not complete.

I always include brushing of the gutters if I deem it necessary in the price of a housewash if this is the only way I believe they will come clean.

My take on the whole gutter thing, is if I know they will stand out like a sore thumb if not brushed, then they will be added in the price of a house wash. If I have it as a add on and the customer chooses not to take that option, I doubt they will tell the neighbors the reason the gutters look bad is because they were to cheap to pay the extra. They will just put the blame on you, which is bad advertisement.icon10.gif

If I have it as a add on and the customer chooses not to take that option, I doubt they will tell the neighbors the reason the gutters look bad is because they were to cheap to pay the extra. They will just put the blame on you, which is bad advertisement.icon10.gif

This is very true, and one of the main reasons I almost always include the gutter cleaning in my bid. Somebody mentioned above the senerio where the customer doesn't want to pay extra to have the gutters cleaned what do you do? This is never a problem for me because as I've stated before in another thread I don't list the gutters as a seperate price on my bid sheet, I write them in as included in the house wash proposal and factor the cost directly into my house wash price. As Gymrat stated, when there not clean, it makes your company look bad, and most customers, given the choice, are not going to confess to neighbors or relitives that they opted to not have them cleaned. Also, I've found that most of my new customers around here seem to assume that the gutters are part of the house wash, and if you list it as a seperate charge, they can likely feel like the're getting charged for somthing that should be included.

As for Ken's example of where do you stop, roof, driveway, etc. That's not an issue for me. add on's and inclusions for me are soley based on what the average customer considers somthing inclusive, and I've never had a customer yet who assumes that a house wash covers roof, driveways etc., but almost all of them assume that cleaning the exterior of the gutters is part of the house wash.

I have a 3 step pricing program, Silver - Gold - Platinum. Today with a lot of lowballers I feel it is necessary. I want to be on a even playing field with them when it comes to services. On the Silver plan they get a simple house wash, gutter wash & rinse (good job) what most of the others sell for cheap!. I do it right and charge for it. NO $99 hOUSE WASH here.

Gold - I'll include brushing the gutters, clean the front porch, cement walkway & rear cement patio. All price accordingly but with a discount if they bundle the service.

Next "THE WORKS" Platinum - house, gutters, cement, deck (washed not sealed), patio furniture, trash pad & mail box. I'll be there the better part of the day but it's a good days pay.

Most of the customers want the Gold Plan & I can mix & match to what ever they want. I am in a service business.

All i know is when the gutters and facia look clean the rest of the house will look cleaner .gutters and facia and sofit are included with the price .only will i charge extra if 2nd story and gutters on dormers on top of the roof .if i have to break a ladder out the price goes upppp.

Thanks for the extended discussion and your thoughts.

I typically ask what the customer has in mind and expand or suggest based on what I see and what they want. I walk them around the house and find out what is on their priority, I look for other "projects".

As a rule, I include the gutters, facia with the house wash. As Steve notes, if the ladder comes out the prices increases proportionately! I have one plan and that is my best work, 100% of the time.

If someone wants "joe" down the road to do it b/c they are the cheapest, then "joe" can have the job. I sell my work and back it up, delivery, before after photos, close ups of gutters etc, performance so they have complete comfort. Clsoe the sell and get it done ASAP.

Like I said I upsell gutter black streaks, but i should explain, if its just a little bit of gutters say just 15 - 25 ft like most homes around here its all included in the price. But if its guters all the way around , 2 story or just alot of gutters, thats when I upsell. Because it is alot of extra work and the house washing rates around here are tough. So I explain to them the house wash & bleak streak cleaning. I very rarely have the HO walk around with me, its just to time consuming, they want to talk about this or that. In the busy months Im doing dozens of estimates and I cant spend the time 15-20 minutes with each of the homeowners for a simple house wash. I dont ignore them but i just walk around real quick get back to them and explain whaat the process is. To many retirees that want to talk & talk. If I have to upsell then I'll take them out and walk & talk

Jeff,

I understand about the time spent talking about the grass growing!!! I need to work on that.

From what I can tell of your posts, you seem to have a good system working for you. I am continuing to find what works and what does not, which is why I asked for a little more discussion on the topic for those that could spare the time......Thanks to all that shared!

Jeff,

I understand about the time spent talking about the grass growing!!! I need to work on that.

From what I can tell of your posts, you seem to have a good system working for you. I am continuing to find what works and what does not, which is why I asked for a little more discussion on the topic for those that could spare the time......Thanks to all that shared!

I do things the same & different from alot of the more experienced guys here. When it comes to most of the house washes around my area you just cant waste time & money, because the money for house washing isnt that great, except the higher end homes. Id say 75 percent of my house washes are on homes 1000-1900 sq ft

I love to talk to homeowners but I learned it doesnt help my bottom line on the little stuff

Keep asking questions this BB is GREAT, Ive learned so much from this BB and others

It's wild how the area you are in will dictate what you can make in certain specialties. Housewashing here is very profitable. I would abandon all other forms of service if I could keep a couple of crews busy 6 days per week doing them. They are fast, they are easy, they have low detergent cost, and the upsell list is endless.

It's wild how the area you are in will dictate what you can make in certain specialties. Housewashing here is very profitable. I would abandon all other forms of service if I could keep a couple of crews busy 6 days per week doing them. They are fast, they are easy, they have low detergent cost, and the upsell list is endless.

How true!! Im from Boston Ma originally and in the late 1980's I use to get $200 - $250 a house part time. I know the size houses I do most around here would be at least double or triple the money up north. You got to go with what you have to work with. At least we can PW 12 months ayear, that helps. This is why I like the condos, commercial stuff

The painters I hired to paint the inside of my workshop didn't get windex and clean the windows even though the dirt and dust detracted from their paint job. I wouldn't have expected them too either.

John Wray, I would argue that a carwash is not complete without wax and Armor-All on the tires. I have yet to find a place that includes these services without an extra charge.

I would have to say that you hired painters to paint, and they did just that, they weren't hired to clean the windows. Now if they would have left any trim or moldings unpainted because they didn't upsell trim work, that's the difference.

A car wash is just that..... washing the car. Of course it doesn't include wax and armor-all. Those are upsells, just like we would upsell cleaning the concrete, or applying a premium sealer/wax on a house.

I'm sorry but I have to say your examples are comparing apples to oranges.

But like we've all come to realize, different regions of the country, and differences in expendible income play largely into what we as contractors can or have to do to stay in business.

Just my .02, not trying to be mean spirited....so don't take it wrong Ken.

Hey Tony, not offended at all. I realize we are sharing opinions. Nothing you stated in your post read as mean spirited.

I guess my analogies are not coming across with my intended meaning. I am trying to convey that there are many things that are adjacent parts of the property that may require special attention. Any of these left unclean could also be perceived by the neighbors as an incomplete job.

Six years ago I had no idea you could hire someone to wash your house. Nor did I have any idea what it entailed. But if I had a cruddy roof and it was left cruddy I would think I hired a hack. Not because I neccessarily expected the guy to clean it but because he should have explained the house wash procedure to me and offered me the option to have it added into the service.

This issue may also be due to the areas we all live in. For me, an average house runs 4000+ sf with some of the gutters obscured by dormers, a multi pitched roof or just generally being over 25 feet in the air. A set of gutters like this could add 45 minutes of workman time, require ladders, extension poles and expensive cleaners not too mention offer a hazard to my myself or employees. Incorporating it into my housewash price if I am competeing against a guy that does not brush gutters could leave me holding many proposals and no work.

Also consider that in my tiered plans, I am upselling additional service. Hand brushing anything holds value for the customer. I think if one is just giving that service away they diminish that value. Also remember that I am cleaning the gutters and they are coming up 50-75% better with just my basic housewash. If they want "Armor-All" then most people expect that costs more.

Also consider that in my tiered plans, I am upselling additional service. Hand brushing anything holds value for the customer. I think if one is just giving that service away they diminish that value. Also remember that I am cleaning the gutters and they are coming up 50-75% better with just my basic housewash. If they want "Armor-All" then most people expect that costs more.

I agree with not giving that service away, because of the labor intensity of brushing badly streaked gutters.

I use this service as a selling point of doing a complete job and a reason my prices are higher than the splash and dash people in my area. In other words I can charge more because I spend a few extra minutes brushing the gutters and it is a big marketing tool when the neighbors see this.

John

Thanks everyone alot of great responses here. I do agree they should not be an extra charge unless like a few people said thre is extra work. The reason I asked this question is because i read a post somewhere ( I am new to this so I've been doing alot of reading) that talked about external gutter cleaning pricing, which i thought was odd. So I wanted more opinons. Again thanks this is a great board.

jerry

Cleaner Image Power Washing

only will i charge extra if 2nd story and gutters on dormers on top of the roof .if i have to break a ladder out the price goes upppp.

I've noticed this same senitment in this thread and the gutter cleaning thread. That being "I always (do/charge) XXX unless it's a second story."

My demo's must be really different from everyone else. 95% of my jobs (and homes in my area) are 2 story. 50% are 2 story with a daylight basement (i.e. 3 story). At least 25% of the gutters cannot be reached with a ladder less than 40 ft. In fact, 50% of the gutter calls this week I declined because the gutters were 30+ off the ground.

On that same thread, I've seen at least three posts that indicate they do gutter cleaning in 15-20 min/house or 5-10 homes per day. Not a prayer here. Less that 25% of the roofs are walkable. Most are 45^ or better, and many are pitches approaching 60-75^

gutters are standard with me, if the homeowner is on

a tight budget i will tell them i can do it for less without cleaning the gutter stains, but only one person in 5 years has said they didnt care if their gutters were still black, it makes a world of difference in the end when the gutters look like new,

and overall the house will look cleaner and your biz will look better. kinda like washing a car and not washing the wheels. wouldnt it make you feel cheap

if you payed someone to wash your car and you didnt feel like paying more for the wheels, your car is clean but your wheels are still black?...if they cant afford to get it done right then do what they are willing to pay for, but most ive worked for want those gutter stains cleaned and they pay for it.

This thread really shows the differences in housing between regions.

I'd estimate that the calls for houses here break down like this: 1 story...30%, basic 2 story....60%, and high in the sky.....10%.

On the "high in the sky" houses, many of the gutters are 2.5 - 3 stories up, and are too high for any brushes I have. Also with the fancy roof lines, and dormers, etc, I too have a hard time with those. In these cases, where the gutters are too dangerous to reach, I tell the customer up front that I'll clean those the best I can, but they won't be perfect. I then explain the saftey issues as to why that is. Actually the higher gutters are usually not as noticable as the lower ones anyway, so if I get the reachable ones completely clean, and the uppers half as clean using just my xjet, it normally looks very acceptable in the end.

For me the bottom line is eduacating the customer exactly what I can do, and paint a picture for them of the results, so there is no surprise. In doing so they can better understand why my prices may be higher than other estimates they get. Almost always, the customers tell me I explained my processes very well, and most of the other competitors didn't even discuss those things, or the results to be expected.

This is a great thread!

This thread really shows the differences in housing between regions.

I'd estimate that the calls for houses here break down like this: 1 story...30%, basic 2 story....60%, and high in the sky.....10%.

On the "high in the sky" houses, many of the gutters are 2.5 - 3 stories up, and are too high for any brushes I have. Also with the fancy roof lines, and dormers, etc, I too have a hard time with those. In these cases, where the gutters are too dangerous to reach, I tell the customer up front that I'll clean those the best I can, but they won't be perfect. I then explain the saftey issues as to why that is. Actually the higher gutters are usually not as noticable as the lower ones anyway, so if I get the reachable ones completely clean, and the uppers half as clean using just my xjet, it normally looks very acceptable in the end.

For me the bottom line is eduacating the customer exactly what I can do, and paint a picture for them of the results, so there is no surprise. In doing so they can better understand why my prices may be higher than other estimates they get. Almost always, the customers tell me I explained my processes very well, and most of the other competitors didn't even discuss those things, or the results to be expected.

This is a great thread!

Residential house washes around here

70% 1 story

15% 2 story

15% 2.5 or more, stilt homes etc Ive done some stilt homes that are 4 & 5 stories high

Now all my condo work is usually 2 to 17 stories high. I use a brush on the 17 story job, I just use a real long extension pole LOL

Some condos I have to brush gutters and I figure that in the total package. I hate when I have to brush condos it can add a lot of work and its a PITA