Sign in to follow this  
SprinklerGuy

Fences...and neighbors!

Question

I just left a fence repair/replace bid....and it got me to thinking.

The guy was upset that it was going to cost so much.....so I told him to speak w/ his neighbor about ponying up 1/2 the cost..as it is HIS fence also...that brings me to my problem.

A lot of the fences around part of my market are cedar dog-eared beautiful grey, splintering fences....but they are shared fences....the neighbors are that close together.

How do you go about cleaning and restoring just one side of a fence? Can it even be done?

This worries me, ultimately if it cannot be done, there are 3 other sides of the fence to worry about....3 other people to be convinced...3 other people that could ultimately say no and then what?

Is there a way to seal one side and not another or is this impossible.

Thanks....

8 answers to this question

That question is kinda like the one about how many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie roll pop.

Sometimes we get fences not on the line, those are the best. Of the ones on the line, it really varies. Some neighbors will get it done some won't. We do one side of a fence pretty frequently, especially in town house communities. We use tarps when sealing to avoid over spray.

Hope this helps a little...

Beth

Thanks

Will the tarps draped on the other side of the fence really prevent any of the stain from going between pickets and getting on the other side?

Seems to me that would depend on the gap between boards....but if the other side is in bad shape and hasn't been cleaned I guess the stain won't be too noticeable eh?

2 weeks later the neighbor calls and wants his done too....can the recently finished client's stain/sealant be compromised by the cleaning on the other side of the fence?

Inquiring overanalytical minds want to know!

I've avoided at least one job where this was an issue. Neighbors didn't get along and the one with the posts on his side claimed primacy. I'm not a lawyer, but could see that they were brewing up to battle it out. I bid the job VERY high in June and haven't heard a word since.

I do drive by occasionally and it is still weathering away.

Another concern that has rattled me was the guy with the bloodthirsty pack of Rottwielers. Now, you gotta know I have dogs, I speak dog, people used to call me "The Dog Whisperer", and I have no issue with Rottwielers. I believe they are an honorable, beautiful, ancient breed. (Hannibal had them as draft dogs when he crossed the alps to invade Rome)

I just couldn't get near the far side of the fence, and the customer couldn't get his neighbor to control his 8 (!) 200# snarling hounds. Believe you me, I was not going in there.

My customer paid for the full job, and told me he'd call when he settled the neighbor down. I've checked back half a dozen times and he says he doesn't care anymore. I told him I'd refund part of the money, but he says no, and that's where we are.

Crazy, huh?:)

We sometimes do only one side of the fence depending on the circumstances, ect.. With our product and stuff have nevr had a problem with overspay on the opposing neighbors side. its such a fine mist most dont even notice it. Unless there are some objects that need to be cared for while we spray(BBQ grills, plants, ect)

Usually I go over and talk to the neighbor and explain to them what we will be doing and why we're doing it.(to protect the fence, ect) About 60% of the time they want their side done as well. I then offer to do an estimate for their half which is usually very affordable considering we're already going to be doing the other side of the fence for the orginal customer. Sometimes it turns into a whole other job doing the rest of the neighbors fence as well...the other 2 sides or whatever. Or maybe they have a deck in the back yard as well...so you never know.

But as for the fueding neighbors scenario, I've rarely run into those types, but I know their out there. I guess there is just a lot of friendly people/neighbors here in Texas :)

I run into the same as Matt but try to atleast get the OK to go in the neghbors yard to protect plants etc. or wet down any concrete,stone,tile,windows etc.

If the pickets are not shadow box you realy shouldn't have a problem with overspray.I know i don't cause i'll spray at and angle to minimize overspray through the pickets.

Now sometimes if the fence is old you will get the stain seepng thru the knots.I soak my fences pretty good so it's almost impossible to stop it.

Here is an example of a fence being sealed using tarps. One is draped on the opposite side and one is on the ground. By alternating each up or down respectably to the side you are working on, this will protect the property from overspray.

Rod!~

post-1-137772150878_thumb.jpg

Here is an example of a fence being sealed using tarps. One is draped on the opposite side and one is on the ground. By alternating each up or down respectably to the side you are working on, this will protect the property from overspray.

Rod!~

It looks like you'll pre stained the posts before doing the the rest of the fence, just curious why.

Ummmm...you see, I was out working with them, and I sort of took it upon myself to do the posts....that and I was snapping photos. Normally we don't do it, it just happened that way on that particular job as I recall. I also recall not wanting to get sprayed with too much sealant, although that happened anyway.

Beth