Sign in to follow this  
Washaway

12% + Miuratic Acid

How many of you mix miuratic acid in with your 12%.

A potential customer ask for it a today and I scratched my head. Apparently he had a previous company tell him that's what their roof cleaning chemical consisted of.

I add acid to the pool all the time but the ratios are no where the same as it would be with this roof mixture. Also, there is a difference b/n pool acid and miuratic acid, no?

I'm no chemist by any stretch of the imagination but I have to ask if mixing miuratic with 12% is safe or not.

(obviously the landscaping would love it):lgsideway

oPPS. Sorry for the previous!!!!!

I hit the wrong button or something.. Read the msds sheet on all chems. if you don't get one ask and get it.

Acid + bleach = poisonous gas (chlorine)

How many of you mix miuratic acid in with your 12%.

A potential customer ask for it a today and I scratched my head. Apparently he had a previous company tell him that's what their roof cleaning chemical consisted of.

I add acid to the pool all the time but the ratios are no where the same as it would be with this roof mixture. Also, there is a difference b/n pool acid and miuratic acid, no?

I'm no chemist by any stretch of the imagination but I have to ask if mixing miuratic with 12% is safe or not.

(obviously the landscaping would love it):lgsideway

12% and acid it will hurt you fast and kill everything in its path .not a good idea

The guy who fills my 55 g. chloreen tanks accidently filled one that had maybe a cup of muratic in it and we almost had to take him to the hospital. I wasn't home when he showed up to fill my tanks, but I arrived shortly after. He was sweeting perfusably and couldn't catch his breath. It was a scary moment. As these guys have stated,never mix chloreen and muratic!

I use hand pumps to get chems from 55gal drums into my 5ers. I have one pump just for soap and bleach and one pump just for my acids, it is labled as ACID ONLY as well.

Once I grabbed the soap pump which was last used to pump bleach and blindly put it into my HF acid drum and started to pump away. Talk about teary eyes, coughing and hard to breathe and that was from the time it took to walk (run) out of my shop to fresh air. I had to air it out for awhile before I went back in with a respirator on.

Moral of story Acid and bleach Big NO NO!!

Didn't that guy who blew himself off a roof with an explodong pump up mix sodium hypochlorite into a container previously filled with acid?

That's the article that came to mind while I was scatching my head. For a second I actually doubted myself in what I know.

You know......those days when you have to ask someone how to spell 'whether' and 'weather'. :lgbugeyes

NaOCl + H2O HOCl + Na+ + OH-

HOCl + HCl H2O + Cl2

In a nutshell, unless toxic chlorine gas is your goal, don't mix bleach and muratic acid.

More simplistically, any ph+ (bleach, hyroxide) and any ph- (muratic, oxalic) are going to react, neutralize each other, and produce various by products. Often these reactions generate heat and gasses that cause the mix to boil and spatter violently.a

And a boiling, spattering, hot mixture of 12% and acid is not a nice thing to be nearby...

For anyone reading!

Any time hydrochloric acid is mixed with chlorine you get a toxic gas. Besides this, the combination will create a fire from an exothermic reaction ignition from products or reactants.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3825

The TGS Library link above has a down loadable chemical reactivity program we use that allows the user to combine chemicals and see the results of the reaction. It is for use as an educational tool but not as a guide for mixing. It does not serve that function. Refer to a qualified chemist for additional information on your mixing questions.

Rod!~