Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Questions about building a Sprayer

My winter project this year has been to build a good "multi-use sprayer". This is the first thing I have tried to build on my own from scratch. I am using a 12 volt shurflo pump with my tank and now I am looking the best wand to use that would stand up to the chemicals and the elements.

For those of you that use 12 volt pumps, do you use your vehicle or another battery to power your pump. I'm just wondering how I would keep it charged all day.

Mike,

I use a trigger for spraying chems made by Spraying Systems Inc.that is rated up to 200psi if needed.. see pic.

I can also help you get a brass wand 3 or 4ft wand with a swivel tip.

Mike I use a tractor battery. I keep two of them on the truck and trickle charge them as needed. The tractor batteries are smaller, lighter and easier to handle. The downside of course is the amount of amperage they can hold. I usually get 3 hours of runtime on a charge.

Mike,

I use a trigger for spraying chems made by Spraying Systems Inc.that is rated up to 200psi if needed.. see pic.

I can also help you get a brass wand 3 or 4ft wand with a swivel tip.

Shane, how do those guns hold up to chlorine? I've been looking for a good quality gun for a while now, but one like yours which would allow me to attach my own home made wands.

Where do you order yours?

How much do they cost?

How long do you think they would last spraying chlorine on a daily basis?

Shane, how do those guns hold up to chlorine? I've been looking for a good quality gun for a while now, but one like yours which would allow me to attach my own home made wands.

Where do you order yours?

How much do they cost?

How long do you think they would last spraying chlorine on a daily basis?

Lance,

I have had good luck with these triggers spraying my bleach,stripper and acid.The trigger i've been using now it's going on almost 1yr give or take.You should a get a few years or more atleast.I'll run some fresh water thru my lines to flush my pump and wand out.

You just have to be careful not to drop them cause the plastic hose barb on the end will crack.

I order the triggers from Texas Wood Products in Plano,I'll get you a price by Mon. I get the prices mixed up with my brass triggers.

Lets here more about your home made wands?

There simple wands made of the smaller diameter cpvc with a half in. fitting on one end and a 90 degree fitting on the other, where I use plastic 1/4 in. spray tips that I buy from US Plastic. I prefer mine because they hold up much longer than the ones most pump ups come with, and I can make them as long as I want to provide better reach. The one's I'm describing are designed for use with my pump up sprayers, the one's I use with my shurflo are the standard pvc wands equiped with a pvc ball valve.

made of the smaller diameter cpvc with a half in. fitting on one end and a 90 degree fitting on the other, where I use plastic 1/4 in. spray tips that I buy from US Plastic.

You answered my next question already as well. If your using pvc, how do you get your spray patterns. Thanks Lance.

Shane, let me know about those triggers as well. Thanks.

You answered my next question already as well. If your using pvc, how do you get your spray patterns. Thanks Lance.

Shane, let me know about those triggers as well. Thanks.

You can use a regular 1/4 meg tip screwed into a bushing at the end, or use a 1/4 meg plastic tip screwed into a bushing at the end.

Or (which is what I do on my roof cleaning wands) you can screw in a 1/4" coupler at the end of the wand so you can use a variaty of different tips.

You could make your own charging system by runing the wires from the terminals on your truck to the back where the trailer connectors or located. Add connectors to each end, and connect them along with the trailer connector. Dont forget to add a inline fuse also.

I use one of those jump-starting things. Lasts and lasts, no bigger than a battery and it plugs into the cig lighter to recharge. Mine also has an air pump. As for the lance, I use the 6' extension from Northern for applying chlorine to a roof.

My winter project this year has been to build a good "multi-use sprayer". This is the first thing I have tried to build on my own from scratch. I am using a 12 volt shurflo pump with my tank and now I am looking the best wand to use that would stand up to the chemicals and the elements.

For those of you that use 12 volt pumps, do you use your vehicle or another battery to power your pump. I'm just wondering how I would keep it charged all day.

i use a solar panel to keep my battery charged. have had no probs with it going dead. the electric pump is only used a few hours a day though.

I use one of those jump-starting things. Lasts and lasts, no bigger than a battery and it plugs into the cig lighter to recharge. Mine also has an air pump.

Great idea! Thanks for the advice. I would have never thought of that. The best thing is it has multi-uses as well.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3117

Hey Mike read thru this thread it's good and also has some good close ups of a homemade pvc wand.

I'm using a marine battery for the sprayer I'm going to build, I figure if it can run my 42 pound thrust trolling motor for six hours on the lake it should do the job, besides I already have two of them. Walmart sells them for about fifty dollars depending on the size.

I use a marine battery as well. The only down side is weight. By the end of the day, they get pretty heavy when loading back into the trailer.

But they do have capacity, I've run mine for 8 hours with no problem.