Sign in to follow this  
bforbis

Window Streaks ever an issue?

Question

There is another thread about call backs. I was wondering if anyone has issues with streaks on windows either as a call back or before you leave the job 2) How do you either prevent or handle them?

Back Ground: I realize that if your soap dries it will create streaks that are very difficult to remove without some buffing compound (Been there, done that!!!).

The problem, no matter how much I rinse there is still a trickle coming down the siding that works its way on the back side of the storm windows, such that rinsing does not effect.

I had some repeat business to do some painting inside a house that I pressure washed several mnonths ago. They were very happy with the cleaning. But I noticed a couple of windows that had the tell-tale signs of the streaks I spoke of.

Made me wonder, how many others had the issue??????

I would appreciate some discussion, comments, suggestions of if and how you handled this?

Thanks

Brent

14 answers to this question

Brent this is the issue I have with someone that claims they do a multiple story housewash in an hour and a half. Maybe there are some guys that have perfected perfectionism and can do a thorugh job and still splash and dash, I don't know.

The keys to avoiding that dry soap streak are watching the angle that you use when you apply soap so that you aren't emulsifying dirt trapped under the siding.. and, to rinse, rinse and go back and rinse again. I pre-wet windows, apply soap, and rinse with very short dwell time. Rinsing from funny angles will also get inside the window and run down the other side (or inside double insulated which really bites). Sometimes that is very hard to avoid. Before I leave a side of a house to tackle other facades I go over it one more time with another complete rinse and really hit the windows. Before you put everything on the truck you walk everything one last time, preferabbly with the homeowner to point out potential trouble spots.

When I leave a property with check in hand. I don't want to see that property until it is time for service again. I'm pretty sure the homeowners feel the same way.

Thanks Ken,

My methods are NOT the splash and dash, just to be clear. I can not believe anyone can do a good job of cleaning a house in that sort of time

I do one section at a time and wet and rewet the windows, before I leave that side I take time to look for any missed areas and look for weeping in the siding.

I try to be very careful not to get soap and water underneath the siding, but I find that soem houses are not constructed well, some worse that others. I check and recheck those over and over before I leave.

I will come back around to check for weeping siding several times before i leave and touch up if and where needed.

When I apply soaps I try to lay it around the window and use a brush on a extension to get the casing. I rinse with whatever length extension I need to get up to that height and be perpendicular to the siding. Use a wide fan and minimal pressure. Rinse from top down and follow up with an overall rinse top down once on the lower level.

I think that as the soap/water is trickleing down the siding, it works its way around and gets on the back side of the storm windows. No mater how much you rinse, you can't get to the backside of the windows without going inside.

brent,

this is my first year and others here have much more experience but i have also had these issues and have found a system that works for me may not be the fastest but seems to work i pre wet windows and dont apply any soap directly to the windows during the house wash keep misting windows as soap falls onto the windows from the siding and after completing the house wash i pack up most of the gear allowing time for drips and any weeping to finish i get my window washer, bucket and extension pole a dash of dishwashig liquid in water and scrub each window rinsing with a garden hose straight away

on really poor windows any soap that gets through would not be strong enough to streak only requiring a quick buff off and i explain this to the customer before

I picked up a tip on this site that has worked very well for this problem.

I have put some cascade dishwashing soap in with my mix. I is designed to make glass, spot free. It has worked great so far...... not perfect..... but I can see the difference.

I have heard of using a car wash for huse wash..... I have not tried that though. Been primarily using ESPEC premier house wash, but I am not liking the results around the windows.

Cascade huh???? Thanks for the tips

Sincerely

Some truck wash detergents contain metisilicate and can be used in house wash mixes if proportioned right.

I believe that to be a common ingredient in quality house wash soaps. That's what's in Citracleen, and I haven't found anything to top it yet.

I had a callback for streaked picture windows in a high-end home. I guess they guys just got slack that day. In any case, I grabbed a bucket, a squeegie, and a bottle of that hose-end, no-streak, outdoor window cleaner. Figured I'd give it a crack before breaking out the ladders.

Well, it worked lke a champ and for 6 bucks I fixed the problem in about 15 minutes.

What product are you using for the sodium metasilicate?

I had to grab the MSDS from the truck. This is a product made by a local chem house for me. It is an older formula of a parts cleaner that they modified so I could use it as a housewash or paint prep.

Here is what is on the MSDS:

Sodium Metasilicate

TSP

Sodium Carbonate

Sodium Tripolyphosphate

Alkyl Polyoxyalkylene Ether

This stuff kicks. Since I went over to downstreaming I needed something with the ability to work well with 'chlorine' and get the job done. $2 worth makes 2 gallons of very potent concentrate. Add the concentrate, three gallons of 12% and 10 oz of truck wash with wax and that will do a 3000 sf house and melt the mold without drying tooo fast or streaking glass. Also leaves a nice shine.

I had a callback for streaked picture windows in a high-end home. I guess they guys just got slack that day. In any case, I grabbed a bucket, a squeegie, and a bottle of that hose-end, no-streak, outdoor window cleaner. Figured I'd give it a crack before breaking out the ladders.

Well, it worked lke a champ and for 6 bucks I fixed the problem in about 15 minutes.

You got lucky. Working at the beach I had E-plus dry on a third story window. Luckily I had the lift because I had to use a glass buffing compound and a polisher to get it clear.