Sign in to follow this  
dave

driveway cleaning advice

Question

today i took on a 4000 square foot driveway when i quoted the job i failed to notice all the little paint and tradesman spills they were only small droplets but boy did they add some time to the job some were very stubburn to remove without doing damage to the surface my question for those with more experience how would you handle this stripper and brush with a large upcharge ? i was concerned that if i used some stripper the end result may end up patchy or should i have ignored the spills and just cleaned the dirt and mould? thanks for any advice

5 answers to this question

I burned myself a few times not noticing small details that haunted me later. I would handle the task at hand the best I could, even if I lost money, as it was my oversight. I now am very observant of things that may take extra time and explain to the customer ahead of time.

If they want the paint gone, I will do it, if they don't I will just general clean. Whatever they want to pay, is what I will do.

I burned myself a few times not noticing small details that haunted me later. I would handle the task at hand the best I could, even if I lost money, as it was my oversight. I now am very observant of things that may take extra time and explain to the customer ahead of time.

If they want the paint gone, I will do it, if they don't I will just general clean. Whatever they want to pay, is what I will do.

That's exactly how I work it...typcially they want a general clean, and don't care about small things like a bit of paint spatter.

thanks guys this guy wanted it sealed as well so i tried to remove as much as possible. the house is worth over 1.2 million stupid me should have got a lot more but the rich can be so tight lol

The rich can be as tight as you let them be. They watch their money but they also know that high quality costs $$. Things cost what they cost. I used to be mildly intimidated throwing out estimates of five grand for a deck job. Now they can whistle, look shocked or throw an epilectic fit. My price is my price. They always ask.. "Can you come down a bit?" I look them right in the eye and say "no". I think the rich find it more professional when you give them the straight deal. As soon as you start negotiating price you appear starving and that's when the real negotiations begin. In that battle, the contractor always loses.

today i took on a 4000 square foot driveway when i quoted the job i failed to notice all the little paint and tradesman spills they were only small droplets but boy did they add some time to the job some were very stubburn to remove without doing damage to the surface my question for those with more experience how would you handle this stripper and brush with a large upcharge ? i was concerned that if i used some stripper the end result may end up patchy or should i have ignored the spills and just cleaned the dirt and mould? thanks for any advice

Thanks for the two question marks. I was running out of breath.:lgsideway

Live and learn Dave. We've all made mistakes of this kind.

Don't ever be intimidated by a big house and a couple of shiny cars. Nextime explain to them that general cleaning costs a certain amount and extra things like paint removal, gum removal or oil stains are extra......just try to do it when you are presenting your estimate!

PressurePros - I have to agree with you. I've found that most will respect a firm contractor and will be at ease knowing that they are getting quality work.