Sign in to follow this  
Richard Ivy

What size trailer?

Evening all, or whatever it is there :)

I'm looking to buy a trailer to tow behind my van. Van should be capable of pulling a fair sized trailer, anyway, I was just wondering if you were advising me to buy a trailer (forget what I'm pulling it with for the moment), what size?

Is 15' long by 7' wide too big? I was thinking more like 8'x4'.

I have to get on it my (yet-to-arrive) Honda pw, 20 whirlaway, flat (3'x4') 120 gallon tank and lance, hoses etc. and other stuff.

What you think?

Thank you.

Richard.

Just my opinion........ since you already have a van then you could probably get away with the smaller trailer since you can store alot in the van and secure it when you are not around. The size of your tank should not be an issue since it is a bit smaller tank. 8.8 pounds per gallon (i think) multiplied by the total gallons you can haul.. Although both sizes of trailer should serve you well. Just take into account your company's rate of growth by this time next year or so and will it be beneficial for the services you offer.

Saftey is most important though. Make sure you have a reciever type trailer hitch if you go for the larger trailer. Hope that helps.

Yes, helpful indeed, I like this site.

I am bound by having only a small garage, and 15' x 7' is a bit too big really. I could manage it... It might also be too early to expand.

My main work is window washing, and use my little van for that. I think a medium trailer might do it, but I wondered if there was a minimum spec I should seek.

Thanks AC Guy.

I think space available in the 8x4 would really be determined by the dimensions of your tank. If it is a small, square , and high tank, then you should be able to get all the gear you mentioned in the 8x4 trailer. But, if the tank is a low, flat and round dimension , then it may eat up most of your space. But keep in mind that the van makes a great storage space as well.

Good luck!

We have used 5x10's, 5x12's and 7x14's. My favorite is the dual axle 5x12. It's narrow to get through tight spaces and long enough for all of your equipment. As you grow you'll want to get more stuff.

We have used 5x10's, 5x12's and 7x14's. My favorite is the dual axle 5x12. It's narrow to get through tight spaces and long enough for all of your equipment. As you grow you'll want to get more stuff.
ive got a 77+12 and its good for me except ive run out of room .Im planning on buying a enclosed soon .for the advertisement thing.probally a 77+16

Now don't laugh...

This is a picture of the type of van I have - not the actual one.

It's all I can afford for now, so you can see the trailer has to be a compromise really.

I have my eye on a 14'x6' trailer (total length - the bed is 10') at the moment.

This van should have no problem with that.

:)

Richard

post-1511-137772150981_thumb.jpg

Now don't laugh...

This is a picture of the type of van I have - not the actual one.

It's all I can afford for now, so you can see the trailer has to be a compromise really.

I have my eye on a 14'x6' trailer (total length - the bed is 10') at the moment.

This van should have no problem with that.

:)

Richard

And here's a link to the eBay site where a trailer is up for auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4604436019&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ive got a 77+12 and its good for me except ive run out of room .Im planning on buying a enclosed soon .for the advertisement thing.probally a 77+16

Steve, Cant beat the enclosed for advertising. Ive had dozens of people call or talk to me because of my trailer, just since I got it a few months ago. Ive already made thousands because of the rolling billboard.

Richard what size engine is in the van. You could letter it up also for some great advertising

Jeff,

I think the engine is 1800 diesel. It's what we call a '55' - it can carry up to 550kgs (I guess you use Imperial). There is a 75 available, although none manufactured anymore.

It can pull a decent weight, I think it's rated for 665kgs for towing. My tank is 400l - about 100 gallons. So it would need to take 200 kgs (don't know how many pounds that is) in addition to tank. Should be possible.

I use the inside of the van to carry another tank, with 60 gallons in it, plus window washing kit.

All in all, this would be pretty punishing for this little van. That's why in the mid-term I would like a big 4x4 pick up truck like so many of you guys drive.

As for advertising... there is consensus her ein the uk that this is a good thing. Only reason I'm not so far doing that is that sign-writing the van will make it harder to sell when the time comes, and I also don't like to advertise the fact that I have expensive kit on board. I'm actually busy enough with work and getting it through word of mouth that I don't need to advertise the window washing part.

The would be a different story. I would put adverts on a trailer - there's one of you lot who has a neat trailer - Visual Appeal I think, and that looks great, IMO.

Have a nice weekend all.

Richard.