Sign in to follow this  
StainlessDeal

What Do My Mentors Think?

Last week was in sLowe's to meet a buddy for lunch and they had a Troy-Bilt Model 01904 cold water unit returned with a "bad pump". They have it marked for $75.

I looked online, but couldn't get the owner's manual to work where I found it, but it looks like a 2.5 GPM machine rated for something loke 1850 or so psi. I was teasing my buddy about it (he works there) and he said I could probably get it for a lot less than what they have it marked at.

You know the question: Is there any good reason to buy this? Is the frame good to mount a bigger engine & pump, will it be useful after some cheap building, or is it just shed shelf bait? Would it ever be a suitable spare, would I be able to rig a roller pump (or something similarly useful) on this frame affordably enough to justify this?

I'm not married to the idea, just don't want to miss an opportunity. Let's hear the opinions, really let 'em fly! biggrin.gifcool.gif

Ken, I get a "file is broken message" when I try that link. My ancient machine has been suffering a little lately, soon to be replaced.

This thing has a Briggs Intek on her, and yeah, the pump looks like a toy. I figured this was junk when it was new, I was just kinda interested in the gutter-snipe appeal sort of way.;)

Russell, I think I will but I'd love to hear some far-out idea that would make this useful. (or fun) Really, 25 bucks is toy money!:fido2:

Thanks fella's, anybody else?

One could probably reengineer the unit for better performance in relation to the engines capability and use it as a light duty wash unit perhaps even rent it to a customer.

The frame is probably good enough to last a while but eventually it could break down. I would install an AR pump or a Giant pump.

If you are in the flat work side, turn it into a trash pump to divert wash water away from drains.

Just a thought...

Rod!~

I'm with you, Scott. If the pump is bad, the engine is probably fine. You could hook up a roller pump..something that outputs 12 gpm at 300 psi and have a killer chemical pump / housewash rig. Even if you get it for $50 it's well worth the play time (if you have it to spare)

Back away from the "project temptation".....you'll start developing pack rat tendencies :) and before you know it, your yard will be overflowing with "out there" idea piecy parts!

Celeste

FYI - Wive's hate that!

I'm sure she knows human (especially wifely) behavior better than I. I have the project bug in the worst way, always have.

In the last year I have removed at least one project bike, one project trailer, an old project Freightliner tractor, numerous project pieces of furniture, and various other projects from the premises. Unfortunately, they were replaced by a second trailer, a 500 gal propane tank, several ancient firearms, copious amounts of used brass, a brace of woodworking saws, and a fishing boat (with two outboards) that all qualify as project material.

I have managed to restrain myself from aquiring numerous other projects, including but not limited to: Two late sixties Triumph motorcycles, a paraplane, a smallish hovercraft, a wooden runabout, and various contraptions including a trebuchet capable of throwing a bowling ball nearly a mile.

And yes, Celeste, wives DO hate that!

I just like to stay busy, and think what fun this will all be!:lgangel:

Ok, that was Rod's suggestion, we all know you're a genius, too.:)

I'm slipping these days, gotta get busy again...cabin closing in...

The low pressure idea is a good one, too. Hmm... Maybe I can invent a two-in-one marvel of modern backyard engineering!

We'll see, I'll probably just pass. The wife needs time to decompress before my REAL spring madness sets in.:juggle:

$75 for a 5hp is a deal. It'd be on my parts shelf already. Good engines have a million uses. Roller pump, post hole auger, go kart, outrageous shop fan, repair push mower..