Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Box trucks

I'm thinking about buying a a box truck for setting up a new rig. I have a small truck that can't pull much more than I have already, and frankly, I'm just getting tired of connecting and disconnecting the trailer all the time. I plan to keep my 5x10 open trailer as a second smaller rig.

I think a 14' box would be the appropriate size for what I need. I would prefer a little bigger, but I don't wont to inhabit my maneuverability to much in tight residental areas.

I like the idea of having my equipment sheltered from the weather and more secure from potental thievery. I will miss the freedom of having an open trailer, with easy access all the way around, but everytime it rains I look out the window and frown as I watch my equipment rust and deteriorate before my very eyes.

I would like to here some pros and cons from those who either have or have had, a rig set up in a box truck.

Also, gas or diesel? which would be a better choice? I've never owned a diesel powered automobile, so I have no experience in that arena.

I see alot of used diesel box trucks on ebay and what not, and wonder how many miles would be resonable to except in a used one.

I've heard diesel engines can last much longer than a gas engine, but how much longer?

how many miles can you put on the average diesel engine if well maintained?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find a great deal on a used box truck besides ebay?

Hey lance,

My thinking this past fall was similiar to what yours is now. I unloaded two trailers and I bought a whole new system to go into a 25 foot box truck. If I had to do it all over again I might have bought a slightly smaller box truck but the 25 footer sure filled up fast with all the equipment that I stored in it. Its amazing how fast a truck or trailer can fill up. It just seems that you never have enough space.

I would suggest you go with a diesel engine because Diesels last alot longer and you get much better MPG. My box truck is getting about 9mpg and if it was gas I would probably be lucky if I got 6mpg. Of course diesel cost alot more then reg. gas at this time but there are times when diesel cost the same if not less.

I also bought my truck on ebay and I had an independent company inspect this truck for me before I paid for it. They told me the truck was in excellent condition and they guessed I paid $20,000 for it. That made me feel good considering that I paid half that.

Whatever you buy on Ebay just make sure you have an independent co. inspect your truck and make sure this company is not thru the dealer you bought it thru.

Good Luck

I would love a box trk/ van, as I am just not ready yet, I would inject that it should have a walk ramp or a lift gate unless you get one that is close to the ground.

Lance,

I have two trucks, both 16 foot, 1 gas,1,diesel. I would stay with the gas unless you drive one heck of a lot of miles. Right now my fuel cost per mile is the same. But the diesel cost more for maintenance.

Diesel: Louder, smelly exhaust, but has higher torque..higher gvw.

The gas one I had first, but I needed higher gvw so went with the diesel for the second. My choice now would be another gas, accounts have changed and I do not need the higher gvw now.

Space wise, gas has two 425 tanks, 2 hot water skids, generator, 3 hose reels (stacked) a recovery sytem, and a little extra space. This truck I also had a hoist installed, can never tell when you need to remove one of those skids. Diesel has: 1500 tank, 2 100gal chemical tanks, 2 hot skids, 2 stacks of 2 hose reels, and enough space to walk. Just to give you an idea how much you can put in one this size.

Make sure you vent it well, you don't want heat to build in them. I have 2 exhaust powered vents, rear barn door style doors, and a 36in door on each side.

Also have a 60in under- body on each side for storage.

Doug

P.S. try www.truckpaper.com, 100's of trucks