Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

Sunblock?

What sunblock do you use?

As a survivor of Malignant Melanoma, I have more of a tendency than most to keep track of the amount of sun exposure I get. And I try to take precautions to limit/eliminate tanning/sunburn.

I used to use a product called PreSun. It is alcohol based, and dries into your skin almost instantly. Never runs with sweat, and never seemed to wear out. It was extremely expensive when I could find, but it's no longer around.

Now I use a sunblock from Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. I spent weeks trying to find sunblock in bulk packages. I buy this stuff by the quart. It works pretty well, a little sting in the eyes if I don't allow it to soak in fully before I start the day. But it lasts all day long with one application.

I have tried bullfrog and a couple of the other alcohol based products without the same success I had with presun.

I'm curious what others use as I continue to search for a high quality, cost effective means to keep from dieing.

Matt Schnurbusch

ABLE HANDS

Garner, NC (919) 696-5073

I posted a thread about this some time ago, but no one seemd interested enough to post. I'm not sure wether that's because they either don't care about skin protection, or don't care about discussing it (which I find kinda funny because of how many people push the importance of wearing the proper PPE).

I pretty much always wear sunblock when I work from the months of March-October, and allthough I should, I tend not to wear it much during the Winter months. I Don't use any kind of special brand just your basic Coppertone, spf 45 or above.

-begin vanity-

It still amazes me how fast your skin can go to crap in just a few years of working out doors, protection or not. I've always looked a little young for my age, but in the course of a couple of years I'm catching up pretty quick.

-end vanity-

Lance....from the pic.....31??

I"ve been using Bullfrog because it eliminates the 'oily' feel. Luckily, I only work on houses and we always work out of the sun, if at all possible. My goal is that by 08', my laboring days will be 'ore. I have melanoma in my family history.......and I am a true honkey that goes from light pink to dark pink when I get sun. I always thought of skin cancer as something you detect, and burn/freeze off, but my elementry school principal is on his deathbed from skin cancer........went untreated, but then spread to lymph nodes, lungs,etc. Also know a guy that had a skin cancer on his head, and by the time they found it, it had gone to his brain. He lasted about six more months after that. Scary stuff.

Yeah, skin cancer is nothing to mess around with. I had a mole on my back about the size of a quarter. Had the thing for as long as I could remember. Finally went in to have it looked, and it turned out to be melanoma.

The general rule is that if you have skin, it should be looked at by a dermatologist once per year. I don't know many folks without skin, but then again I don't know many that go to a dermatologist.

I know it's a nuisance, but those of us that work out in the sun (even on the shady side of the house) should have a full body checkup at least once a year.

Matt Schnurbusch

ABLE HANDS

Garner, NC

(919) 696-5073

I use Bull Frog. I've gone from Dark hair to grey. Tanning to burning. Its related! Also doctor's refered Bull Frog for the med's I had to take which made my skin sensitive to the sun.

Not to shabby Jon. I'll be 31 in May.

Oh, but the folks in my picture are actually my mom and dad.

just kidding.

I'll have to try the bull Frog stuff, where do you buy it.

Jim,

I took Accutane (acne med) when I was a teen and I swear that stuff has changed the complexion of my skin ever since. Pinkish red, sensitive, dry, etc. I bet I haven't had 10 zits since i was 19, but it came at an expense.

I"ve been using Bullfrog because it eliminates the 'oily' feel. Luckily, I only work on houses and we always work out of the sun, if at all possible. My goal is that by 08', my laboring days will be 'ore. I have melanoma in my family history.......and I am a true honkey that goes from light pink to dark pink when I get sun. I always thought of skin cancer as something you detect, and burn/freeze off, but my elementry school principal is on his deathbed from skin cancer........went untreated, but then spread to lymph nodes, lungs,etc. Also know a guy that had a skin cancer on his head, and by the time they found it, it had gone to his brain. He lasted about six more months after that. Scary stuff.

I think this is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Jon maybe we can get the science world to make a new classification for you, "Ultra Honkey"

We sun screen in the truck year round.Angela has slipped up behind me more than once to slap sunscreen on my neck and arms. I have always tanned very dark without burning and take it for granted sometimes.