Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

Renting a Surface Cleaner

I am interested in cleaning my own driveway, and if it goes well, I'll clean my brothers, and brother-in-laws as well. I don't own a surface cleaner, so I will need to rent one. Have any of you ever had to rent? Sunbelt rentals has two different units that they rent.

AltoHS-100-00-HP HYDRO SCRUB SURFACE CLEANER

Mi-T-MAW-7020-8000 18" HYDRO SCRUB ROTARY SURFACE CLEANER

Do you know what these are? Is one better than the other to use with cold water 4GPM 3700psi? Is it even worth my time/money with a cold water machine? Do I need to use chems to get the blackness (assume mildew, assume bleach) off from the driveway? If I do use chems on the drive do I need to reclaim the waste water? That will put the kabosh on this plan immediately.

Obviously I have no idea what I am doing, so please don't jump down my throat. I am simply trying to learn a little before I make huge $ investments in equipment. I have done a couple house washes for family, friends, and the property management company I do work for. With your help I have already cut my time in half, and increased my success in getting things clean without damaging them.

Any constructive help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Matt Schnurbusch

ABLE HANDS

Garner, NC

(919) 696-5073

Matt

I rented surface cleaners from Sunbelt for about a year befre I bought one, I sould of bought one earlier

I never used the ones you listed but I'm sure they will be fine Suunbelt usually buys good stuff to rent out. I used cold water 4 GPM machines up until this past september. Althou you have to go slower than if you had more GPM's it works GREAT, you'll love useing a surface cleaner

Depending on what your cleaning determines the chems you should or shouldnt use. Many times Ive used NO chem and it cleans fine. When useing no chems I'll at least wet the area down to soften up the dirt etc.. If theres a good amount of mold & mildew you can Xjet a 12% mix on the concrete it helps and sometimes after cleaning you can spray 12% it helps whiten a little and if theres any leaf or nut stains spray strong 12% they will disappear.

If theres oil/grease use a good degreaser (S. Hydrox.) you can apply with pump up or just splash a little down& I'd brush it in a little

Reclaim I do not do but if its required in your area you can divert run off and not have to reclaim, I wouldnt worry about it for residential

Sunbelt rents the for $25 or $30 its worth it if you have a few driveways to do or large projects

The floater you show looks good but I like ones with wheels. Check out The Big Guy 30" you can buy it at Watercannon for $719-$749 and I used it with cold 4GPM for a long time its a great money maker

Good luck

Jeff

Matt,

I use to rent a 24" surface cleaner from hollands rental for $25 day.They are located on western blvd in Raleigh.Since you dont have hot water then you may need bleach to help with the mildew as Jeff mentioned.Drop me an email if you have questions.Mike at extreior in Garner will be a good source of info for you.

Rodney

rodneysprowash@mail.com