Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Wood tux on dock

Question

How well does wood tux work in salt water environments. You can see from the pic that this dock takes a serious beating. this stain is only 2 years old. Dont know what brand but its a semi trans.

Plus this bench. How can you identify Teak?

post-4622-137772151782_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772151815_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

You identify teak by the grain and the density of the wood.

Could very easily be teak.

We have seen Wood Tux hold up really well in pretty extreme weather.

I would feel better about Wood Tux on a dock than I would many other things.

Beth

Beth and Rod (or others),

When I completed my deck I cleaned up our teak table and chairs, but have not sealed or stained with anything.

Any recommendations for exterior teak? Tung oil? Teak oils? Wood Tux?

Most teak I saw was at the coast, and it was mostly on boats which was stained and had some clear coat (marine grade urethane???), but that was before I started PW and not sure what was used.

Thanks

Teak Oils as mentioned are good for maintaining the woods inner moisture and like danish oil have tung oil in it which has been produced to be as thin as possible. Teak soaks it up.

For furniture that sits out in the sun day after day and is not protected with anything more than oils will gray in a few months. Cabots Australian Timber Oil (old VOC formula) has worked well for us in the past but the jury is still out on the new VOC one. From what we have seen is part of the reason why Beth mentioned we are going to try WTW this year on our teak and see what results and duration we get. So far, on other hardwoods (ipe'), WTW has been performing well which is encouraging.

Urethanes are great protection for marine teak. Salt kills it though. Sanding w 110-120grit and re-coating is the usual maintenance.

Wood Tux! has not been mentioned tested in a salt marine environment so I will not suggest it is a suitable protective. It works well for full sun exposure but the effects of salt on it are probably as one would expect on urethanes.

Rod!~

Thank you Rod,

I currently don't have to worry about the salt yet, hope to get back there soon though. I'll give the Wood tux a try on the teak outdoor furnture and see what happens!

Jim,

I actually hesitated about posting in this thread because of the polar differences in circumstances of what the thread was originally about.

We applied the WTW to a screened-in Ipe floor mid-year lat year. The application was successful from the standpoint of the wood accepted it beautifully (no sign or "rejection"). The homeowner's response was that it looked better than the hardwoods in his house. :) We indicated to this homeowner at the time of application that we may need to do maintenance within the first year due to the nature of this dense species. We have maintained communications with this homeowner because of work upcoming on his concrete and there has been no indication from him that the stain was fading or failing in any way.

I do have photos of the floor but they are not up the quality of photo that I prefer to display...my camera was dying and due to the time of day they were taken, excuse, etc... I'll put one in the gallery if you want. Also, if you are interested, I am more than happy to post updates on the performance.

Celeste

Celeste screened in porches are a completely different animal. They are not subjected to as much weathering. So they tend to be more difficult to get any penitration of product. How much cutting of product did you have to do? Did you have to wipe off excess or how did you control product.

I did samples with the original WT thinned with mineral spirits without sucsess. It sorta just laid on top of the wood no matter how much I thinned it or rubbed it in.

James-

I am sorry to hear that you had such a hard time. We have been getting excellent results with Wood-Tux on both Ipe and Cambara. I've also recently spoken to a contractor who does a lot of high end work in the South and he is reporting the same thing that we find here in the Mid-West.

The best application method also happens to be the most economical. I would recommend that you try cutting the product up to 1:1 with water. The application is similar to other hardwoods. . .Spray or brush on and allow to dwell, then rag off the excess.

Decks that were finished at 2 parts WT to 1 part water are slightly darker than those finished at 1:1 In either case, applications that are at the 6 to 8 month mark show little to no signs of failure. By comparison most other products need to be reapplied or refinished at the 6 month mark on hard woods like Ipe or Cambera. Some even before. I fully expect most Wood-Tux Decks that I've seen to go a full year without reapplication on these hardwoods.

When you cut the Wood-Tux 1:1 with water it brings the cost per gallon down to $13.90 which makes it an economical choice as well. I would be happy to send you (or anyone) some pictures and details of Wood-Tux being applied to exotic hardwoods.

If you would like, send me an e-mail with (hardwoods) in the subject line or give me a call and I will shot an e-mail right over to you.

Best of Luck

Russell Cissell

imrcc1@aol.com

636-288-8512

James

When we originally released the Wood-Tux stain it did not include the WET technology. It could not be applied to wet wood and also could not be cut with water. So in that regard it is different.

For this application (dense hard wood) reducing with water is better than thinning with mineral spirits. You are trying to increase the workability of the product without decreasing the dry time. When you thin a stain with spirits it can lead to flashing and other issues with drying.

You can expect Wood Tux WET to reduce easily with water, penetrate well and last well over 6 months on hardwoods like Ipe and Cambara.

Best of Luck!

Russell

well I guess Im not. Ive had a heck of a time loading pics lately. No matter how small I shrink them, it says the file size is too large. Will try later.

last well over 6 mons????

is it even worth it to use a product with a life expectancy of only 6 mons?

Working with exotic hardwoods such as Ipe is not the same as your typical pressure treated pine or cedar deck. The maintenance cycle is much different. Those discerning customers who choose a premium grade lumber will often treat it like a piece of fine furniture. It is not uncommon that you would return every six months to check up on their deck.

Most exterior finishes will not perform well at all with a very dense species of wood. Wood-Tux WET is among those finishes that perform beyond the six month mark on Ipe, Cambara and other very hard woods. With regular cleaning and maintenance Wood-Tux WET will keep these beautiful exotic woods protected and looking their best for years.

When you use Wood-Tux WET on softer species of wood, such as those more typical of deck and fence construction, you can expect the maintenance cycle to be considerably longer.