Sign in to follow this  
R L S

Battery Charger Pump

Alright, in one of the threads from the past year someone posted about making there 12volt shurflo portable by using a car battery jumper deal from wal-mart. I have searched for it but to no avail. Does anyone know what I am talking about or where this thread is?

Thank you very much.

Alright, in one of the threads from the past year someone posted about making there 12volt shurflo portable by using a car battery jumper deal from wal-mart. I have searched for it but to no avail. Does anyone know what I am talking about or where this thread is?

Thank you very much.

The only thing i know about is buying a 12 volt inverter to charge a battery from the car ,it plugs in the cigarete lighter and converts 12 volt to 115 volt .this will charge your battery .you can get these at radio shack or an appliance store .i run a wire from my pig tail of my truck and it runs off the trk charging system.

I never thought those would have enough amperage to sustain a long pump usage. Those types of capacitors are made for quick current release. I was surprised to hear guys say they have good success with them. I use tractor batteries (300 CCA) and keep them on a trickle charger.

For those without expereince, read up on deep cycle vs. SLI (starting, lights, ignition) batteries. The latter are meant to dump huge amounts of power for a very brief period and be completely recharged immediately. Deep cycle batteries are meant to power loads (like a trolling motor or pump), be deep discharged, and then recharged as needed. Swapping types will generally work, but the batteries lifespan will be greatly shortened.

You car battery is a SLI battery, I expect that the "power packs" are as well.

When I first built my roof cleaning rig, I used one of those battery packs you speak of and it worked ok for doing a few roofs before recharging. I used this setup for about 6 months before switching over to a marine deep cell battery. The problems I had with the pack is it will start running the shurflo pump at a much slower speed as it weekens and I believe that caused some pre-mature pump failures. I replaced two shurflo pumps in one month. I have not had this pump failure problem since switching to the marine battery. Hope this helps.

John

Are you trying to run a 12 volt pump from a portable battery? If so you can get a 400 amp battery pack and put either clips on the wire ends or attach a cigarette lighter end and plug it into a battery pack. I use one when fishing overnight in the canyons and it powers 3-12volt under water lights all night and still has power left.

Yep, I'm the one. I still use it, though it doesn't get too much use. The convenience, for me, is worth it. Having a quick jump available for either the van or the rig is nice.

Hi Gang,

I use a lawn tractor battery & I have a charger hooked to it with the 120v power coming from the secondary outlet on my skid. Works great, most I have done in 1 day is prespray 24 semi trailers and 4400 sf concrett.