Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Concrete - New Const.

Ive done no new construction work, I have a GC doing several new homes and I have one to do Wed. He wants the garage inside concrete cleaned, it has some drywall mud and a couple spots of latex paint were the painters spilled paint and wiped it up and left a big smear of paint, also a couple little paint spots on the walkway & patio. Whats the best way to get this paint up without taking the cream off the concrete

The drywall mud just scrape off? and the rest should I wet and remove with surface cleaner or fan nozzle carefully?

How to ?

Thanks

JL

Jeff, yes on carefully scraping the drywall mud, mostly just to pop the large pieces off - hot water will generally take care of the rest. Latex paint will also usually easily rinse away with hot water from garage floors. Main thing is not too much pressure or too close to the concrete - does your surface cleaner have an adjustable deck?

Celeste

Jeff, yes on carefully scraping the drywall mud, mostly just to pop the large pieces off - hot water will generally take care of the rest. Latex paint will also usually easily rinse away with hot water from garage floors. Main thing is not too much pressure or too close to the concrete - does your surface cleaner have an adjustable deck?

Celeste

Thanks,

No adjustable deck I was thinking using the my Big Guy with larger tips less pressure

can i use RPC 2000 if I mix it weak

Thanks

JL

I have had to take grout off of floors and walls inside of garage before.

Bring a squeegee just in case. Also be cautious of the sheetrock on the inside of garage. It is very absorbant and can cause molding after the fact.

I have used plastic drop cloths to hang inside of garage to avoid splashing walls. A little time consuming but well worth avoiding call backs and potentiel mold after the fact. A putty knife will definately come in handy as well.

If there are seems at the base of concrete and walls then you need to find a way to keep the water from falling in between the cracks as it will create mold down below unseen. Hope this helps.

Thanks AC

Its funny, this 1st project is from a painter I did work for in the past and now he's the GC's Construction Super. and they are building 8 homes and several others in other neighborhoods.

I never did new constuction Now this morning I got another call from a different GC a referall to go look at another neighborhood he has several houses new const. Like I said I never did new const. and I'm not sure if I want to now, or if I'll have the time & man power. It just seems like to much could go wrong especially with the concrete. I'll check it out and see if its something I want to get into

Thanks

JL

Jeff,

Hot water should be all you need. Since you're not a newbie I'm sure you can keep the walls dry. This is the easiest PW work there is. Drywall mud will 'melt' with hot or cold but the paint will need the hot. I've done 1000's of these, I don't see the need to scrape.

Timewise (all include a rear pad, front porch, concrete driveway, and the city sidewalks from pin to pin) 2 car=35 mins, 3 car=45 mins, 4 car=60-75 mins. This is from pull up to drive off, and includes time to set up and breakdown reclaim system.

Most of this work is rinseing, so I always thought the surface cleaner added too much time.

John

Agree with John, the hot water will handle most anything. The only reason for scraping drywall for us is the STUPID huge piles we contend with, I'm talking 3 lbs of drywall dumped in the garage from the end of the mudder's day. These pop off very easily. When you just try to "melt" them, it makes a bigger mess to rinse!

We actually work faster with the surface cleaner but as evidenced in many aspects of this industry, what works better for some, doesn't for others. Your first job or two will let you know where you'd stand. A surface cleaner does offer more risk to new concrete if you're not careful - swirlies might look cute but they are definitely NOT the goal :)

In reading John's post again though, I'll bet you could do the "popping" with your wand, like gum.

Celeste