Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

I've got some downstream questions

I tested my three different downstreamers today to find out what the draw rates were and the results we're very disappointing.

General pumps and Enviro's Super Sucker (super sucky) drew a horible 14.5 : 1 water/chem ratio

The best I could get was from my Adams injector of which I managed to squeeze a disappointing 11.5 : 1 ratio of water/chem.

My first experiences with DSers were similar. I switched to xjet and never looked back. Several iterations later, I am using an xjet with 15:1 proportioner. And, just reading your post it occurred to me that 14:1 isn't so bad (for me) after all.

Two downstreamers in line won't work because the second one causes back pressure on the first one, keeping it from being able to draw chems. The same reason downstreamers can't be used with the Coress wand. The coress restricts the flow when it sizes down to a 1/4in hose causing back pressure on the injector keeping it from drawing. Thats why I was curious about what guns some of you guys running high volume machines are using. I am going to make sure I have as little restriction in the high pressure side of my system to prevent it from bottlenecking, causing back pressure, and reducing the effectiveness of my downstreamer.

Can I ask why? Wouldn't just using a lower pressure tip to rinse with be easier?

Wouldn't be any easier at all you would have to have 2 or 3 tips to do the same thing since the M-5 is adjustable. I have always downstreamed since I started 6 years ago. I tried the X-jet last year and don't care for applying chems with it, but it sure is better than using 2 or 3 different tip to rinse with.

All right, how bout this: Taking the back pressure thing into consideration, what if you were to mount one downstreamer right after the machine as usual, and then, some where after that, maybe in the middle of your jumper hose, attach a Y fitting, at which one side of the Y went straight through to another Y fitting, and the other side of the Y fitting had another downstream injector mounted. So now you have no back pressure problem with the first downstreamer, but enough postive flow through the other side of the Y to produce draw from the second downstreamer. :lglolly:

see diagram below

``````````````````````(2nd injector)

PW--1st injector--------<==========>-------------------hose reel----

.....................................(open line)

For the guys who run 8gpm or better:

Are you using guns with 13/32" openings or do you know? I was having a little trouble drawing a a good chem rate with my 8gpm machine, then I read on the espec site where a smaller opening in the gun could cause back pressure on the downstream injector causing less chem to be drawn. They have a hydraulic YRL50 Compensating gun that I am going to try out to see if that alleviates the problem. Curious what others think about this.

I buy the gun with the biggest opening that espec sells.

I think that if you did the double Y method than the majority of the water would bypass the injector and go through the other side of the Y. If this happens that second injector would not hardly draw any chems.

I think that if you did the double Y method than the majority of the water would bypass the injector and go through the other side of the Y. If this happens that second injector would not hardly draw any chems.

Maybe your right, but I've got an even better idea; What if you were to put both injectors side by side after the Y connecter. So for my 5.6gpm machine I would run these 2 injectors which would both be 3gpm models. They would both recieve a little under 3gpm of flow through each essentialy working just as they would if they were running on a 3gpm machine. If these downstreamers are spec'd to draw, say 15%, your now getting 30% between the two, and with this method, you wont have any back pressure issues, or water taking the easy way around the second injector.

diagram:

`````````````````````(1st injector)

PW------------------<=============>---------------hose reel

..................................(2nd injector)

Maybe your right, but I've got an even better idea; What if you were to put both injectors side by side after the Y connecter. So for my 5.6gpm machine I would run these 2 injectors which would both be 3gpm models. They would both recieve a little under 3gpm of flow through each essentialy working just as they would if they were running on a 3gpm machine. If these downstreamers are spec'd to draw, say 15%, your now getting 30% between the two, and with this method, you wont have any back pressure issues, or water taking the easy way around the second injector.

Why not just put one two injectors on the same line, coupled with a short section of hose (1-2')? Would this work? If so, could you theoretically add as many injectors in line with eachother as you wanted, and increase your draw rate that way??

Why not just put one two injectors on the same line, coupled with a short section of hose (1-2')? Would this work? If so, could you theoretically add as many injectors in line with eachother as you wanted, and increase your draw rate that way??

Vandeisel said that that wouldn't work because the second injector would put to much back pressure on the first injector which would prevent it from drawing correctly, so you would still only have one injector drawing chem.

My idea allows for smooth, equal flow through both injectors without back pressure problems.

Theoretically, my idea can do what your asking, but they would have to be parrell instead of in line. Instead of just two injectors branching off a Y fitting, you could hook three injectors up branching off of a 3 way Y fitting and achieve an even higher draw rate, like maybe 45%. If this was the case, could you imagine how cool it would be to be able to use three injectors pulling 45-60% chem? you could clean roofs with a downstream set up, talk about cool.