Sign in to follow this  
yazbird8

Deck Pricing Per sq. ft.

Question

Here is the sq. ft. pricing I am considering for deck work this year.

CHARGES FOR DECK WORK

$2.00/sq.ft. TOTAL for a simple strip and neutralization/brightening, plus sealer application.

$2.50/sq ft. TOTAL for heavy strip and neutralization/brightening, plus sealer application.

Simple strip: and neutralization/brightening at $.50/sq ft. (EFC38, then Citralic or Oxalic Acid).

Heavy strip: and neutralization/brightening at $1.00/sq ft. (HD80, then Citralic or Oxalic Acid)

Sealer: application at $1.50/sq ft. always………. (Ready Seal- Wood Tux- WTW- Wolmans- Cabot)

INCLUDES ALL MATERIALS

MAINTAINENCE OF DECK: Every 2-3 years on horizontals and every 3-5 on verticals.

This is for the North East (metro NY) area.............Hey North East guys, am I in the ballpark?......................... Remember, it's a new year and prices gotta move up a bit................Does anyone charge higher than this?.................................Oh ya, I'm a newbie but I refuse to sell price.

Steve

Stephen Andrews

POWERWASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTAINENCE

33 answers to this question

Ok, great information all. Here is my take on it. HD80 for solid stains (oil or latex).............What I am getting from all of this is that HD80 will kick butt, and that EFC38 is stronger then I first beleived it to be. ...It seems like the safe bet is, when in doubt go with the EFC38 with different strenghths and dwell times. Move up to the BIGGER GUN when needed...............Experience is the best teacher..............You guys are definately a close second though.............Thanks

Stephen Andrews

POWER WASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTAINENCE

The way I measure is like this, just to keep it simple, Lets say you have a 2nd story deck which most are, and for example purposes only lets say there are no stairs and it is a simple rectangle deck 20 X 30 Floor Area, simply add 4 feet to each side that has a railing and you have your sq ft lets say it is 20 Wide and 30 Long that deck would measure 24 X 38 which comes out to approx 912 sq ft I then add another 15% on to the sq ft for post and difficulty because of being over 10 ft off the ground, If it is a typical strip, Brighten, Sand, 2 coat Sealer Job, I would charge $1.50 to $1.75 a sq ft that includes all materials labor etc.. The if it is virgin wood, never had any finish applied I would be between $1.15 and $1.25 Now remember, I am offering Sanding and 2 coats of stain/ sealer all by brush and roller, NO Spraying... So almost everything I offer to my customers, no one else in town offers, stripping, brightening, sanding, 2 coats stain brush and roll etc.. Everybody here is almost water only wash, then spray a quick coat of whatever they can find for sale at Home Depot, Lowes etc.. and usually they do all in 1 trip, so needless to say, after explaining the differences to my customers, They like and most will pay for a job well done..

Hope This Helps....

Rob F and Ken F,

I took your combined advice and came up with something more in line with reality. Now I have my house wash and my fence & deck restoration numbers.

Thanks a million guys

Stephen Andrews

POWER WASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTAINENCE

Jim, Im not sure I follow you, but on a typical railing, if you take the height which is usually 4 ft high that includes the header under the railing times the length of the railing that is very close to the sq ft in that railing, header, spindles etc.. so if it is 20 feet long I take 4X20 = 80 X whatever my sq ft is usually $1.50 so that railing costs is $120.00 to my customer in addition to all the other measurements, my average deck over the last 4 years is 1000 sq ft

If I remember correctly, someone posted an Excel spreadsheet on the board for estimating deck restorations. Seems like it was named Logan's or something like that.

It does require more measuring but shows more in detail the cost of doing a deck restoration. You can adjust your pricing behind the scenes for pita factors and even adjust your stain coverage estimate thus giving more detailed pricing and an extimate on how much stain you will use.

I like using it because I can show the customer more detailed information than most deck restorers do, thus the customer has more confidence in me to do the job right. It is just another bullet in my gun when I make my sells pitch.

I use a laptop and portable printer so I can print the estimate and contract while I am at the customers place. This puts a little pressure on them to sign right then (without them knowing it) instead of waiting several days or weeks to make up their minds.

Smokey51