Sign in to follow this  
CB works

Starting part-time PW biz, need input re: training and equipment

Hello All,

First of all I would like to thank everyone for the time and energy that has gone into this board. I have really learned a lot. There is a lot of knowledge and expertise out there that I know has helped me and others like me. A little about myself: I am currently self-employed making surfboards in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. I have been doing this for myself for about three years now, and have gotten a real taste of the freedom of self-employment. However, major changes have taken place in the surf industry in the past year, and it looks like China has suddenly become a major competitor in the market (unlike before, when it was primarily a US-based industry). I figure now is a good time to get out and try something new. I did some deck washing and sealing jobs with my brother last year and really liked the work. I thought it might be something that I could do for a living. I started reading as much as I could on the subject about four months ago and realized that there’s a lot more to it than I thought (my brother and I really did those jobs the hard way!). I’m ready to make a move and start taking on some residential house-cleaning jobs to supplement my income while I really learn this business the right way. Any comments and suggestions you pros can share with me regarding my equipment choices would be a big help. Here is my wish list so far:

• Northstar 4 gpm,3500 psi, belt-driven, cold water, portable pw—will this be enough?
  • X-Jet
  • Extension pole w/brush
  • Hose and reel
  • Of course the other stuff: chemicals, buckets, ladder, etc.

Also, if anyone nearby has some used equipment they’d like to sell, I’d love to take a look at it.

I’ve read that broad form property damage coverage is recommended if I really want to be covered while working. Any comments or suggestions on this would really help.

Last of all, I’ve noticed that there are some real professionals that post on this board from the Myrtle Beach area. I am willing to volunteer some time in the very near future to get some hands-on experience. I am also willing to travel out of state if necessary. I am an extremely hard worker who supports a wife and 3-year old and will not waste anyone’s time.

Thanks for everyone’s time, and my apologies for such a long post.

Best of luck in all your business endeavors!

Christian

If I could change one thing about my start-up, it would be to buy a machine with more GPM.

I started with, and still use, a little Tuff hotwater rig. Just 4GPM and direct drive. It gets the job done, but not quickly. Spend the extra now, reap the reward in quicker job times right away. Inefficiency is always expensive.:)

**********/board/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=14

That link has a couple used pieces of equipment for sale.

I personally think depending on what your washing more gallons will make the job faster. If doing Decks i really think your going to be ok getting started if your plans is to tackle house washing primarily i would get a larger GPM.

If you have 10 to 15 G's to spend set your self up correct. If your going to wash homes and be seasonal i would not spend the money on a brand new hot water set up.

I have watched many like yourself get into this business, its not easy. its hard work everyday and marketing will make you successful. Good work and final product will keep you in business.

Dont get me wrong i love it, but I have seen alot of folks hate it. If you where trying to tackle commercial work i would never recomend this route. you would need to go all out to compete in a fierce market. Moneys great in commercial but the expense and all year round costs are for real.

Even if you decide the seasonal thing, run it professionally and treat it like a business.

You will do great sound like your motivated and researching so you make fewer mistakes along the way.

Good luck and if you need anything just call.