Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Chiplock

Favorite House was Mixtures

Question

Well with the season beginning for most people, I just wanted to see what everyone is using in their house wash mixtures and techniques. I know this has been a past topic but not recently. In a 5 gallon bucket i mix:

2 parts emulsifier plus or limonene

1.5 parts bleach

.5 part cascade as a rinse agent

1 part water

I mix the solution and use my m5 x-jet to wash. I can normally tackle an average 2 story house in under 2 hours. I have just purchased Powerhouse from sunbrite and I am going to try this out. Anyone using it now??? How do you like it?? I alter my mixture with bleach and water depending on mold/mildew and other challenges. It seems to be working pretty well.

Jon Chiplock

The Pressure's On

Butler, PA

36 answers to this question

I understand it is extremely effective at killing mold and such, I know it is bad for me, water, the ground and pretty much everything else. I know to pretect myself and plants and so one but even diluted i just wonder what any long term negatives are. I have heard of oxginated bleach that is not nearly as bad but dont know if it is as effective. Just wondering if there are any other alternatives. thanks for the replies

I understand it is extremely effective at killing mold and such, I know it is bad for me, water, the ground and pretty much everything else. I know to pretect myself and plants and so one but even diluted i just wonder what any long term negatives are. I have heard of oxginated bleach that is not nearly as bad but dont know if it is as effective. Just wondering if there are any other alternatives. thanks for the replies

Percarbs are more expensive, and will not give you good results on heavy build up. Chlorine is not bad for you as long as you take the proper percautions by wearing the proper PPE. Chances are, any chemicals that you will find that are somewhat effective at removing the mold/algea (notice I said remove, not kill) that doesn't contain sodium hypochlorite, will be potentialy more harmful to you than chlorine will be.

2.5G of chlorine will run me $3.50 alone!

What type of homes are you washing that you need wax?

Siding, right?

I have to agree with the above. For the first 1.5 years I avoided 12% as if it was a disease. Truth is that I had no experience with it and was scared. Now my trailer will never leave HQ without a few containers of 12% onboard. It's replaced my American Express......I won't leave home without it.

vinyl siding

. I know to pretect myself and plants and so one but even diluted i just wonder what any long term negatives are.

The vehicle you show up in will leave long term negative effects in the atmosphere, does that mean your going to walk?

Nope, not going to walk pulling 10000 lbs of equipment. If horses were allowed on the freeway i might have some alternatives. Not looking to be shamed for looking to experienced contractors if they have had any luck with an alternative to bleach. I know what your getting at though Barry, there will always be a negative to every positive.

I am considering the emulsifier plus or chloromax, both priced well. But I have just read that power house is a popular brand as well.. But of course I can not find it online. Any help here. Thanks.

Power house is sold by sun brite supply out of Georgia.

I have tried many cleaners that I ordered off the internet and I have also

used dawn when I first started out.Right now I am using barlox. Is there a big difference between each soap? For me it is not.Some soaps are better but there price out ways their effectiveness. The key is 12.5% bleach and a good soap that will emusify and keep the bleach on the house longer.I love the soap that bob has but he and I talked and there is no way to ship liquid at a reasonable price.Steve's citra clean is also another great product.The shipping is not bad but using a gallon per every 5gallon of house wash mix, I went through it before I knew it. A good buisness wants to use the best so they stand out but a good buisness also wants to keep the cost down and pass it on to the customer.

Thanks rodney. what do you recommend for concrete and wood decks - cleaning. I am targeting residential accounts for siding, decks, pavers, walkways etc. I am hoping that something like the emulsifier will do it all.

Any advise would be great. Thanks, Mike

Beth and Rod with www.seedirtrun.com Everett Abrams with www.deckrestorationplus.com and Pete Marantey with www.sunbritedecks.com are a few of the best at decks.

Myself including them use a Sodium Hydroxide based chemical for stripping old finishes, neutralize/brighten with Oxalic Acid, and for gray decks with no finish use Sodium Percarbonate, pressure wash, and neutralize/brighten with Oxalic Acid.

I use straight 12.5% Bleach and a couple of cups of pure Sodium Hydroxide and run it straight through my double stainless steel chemical injector for really nasty black driveways. Sometimes a concrete cleaner still won't cut it very fast and I'll have to use a turbo nozzle. Get the Turbo Tech Terminator Turbo Nozzle from Envirospec. It is by far the very best.

For red mud or rust stains I'll use a mild Hydrochloric Acid or Phosphoric Acid presoak.

Mike

Pressure Washing Pro, Inc.

www.pressurewashingpro.com

I have just ordered powerhouse to try as my housewash. My question is, I've heard that it is good on vinyl siding and have also heard about things that can be mixed with it to be more effective on an earlier thread. Things such as .5 gal powerhouse, .5 gal 12%, 4 gal water, touch of wash and wax. What effects does this have on siding made of brick and also plants? Where can I buy the wash and wax? I am fairly new to the business, so therefore I am doing alot of experimenting with different chemicals to see what works best for me. I would appreciate any help you can give me.