Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

Potato Chips

Question

We have shake roofs all over the place here. And they are all going to hell. It's driving my entreprenurial mind crazy.

:lgbonk: :lgbonk: :lgbonk:

Is anyone treating these?

Bill

10 answers to this question

Shakes ain't cheap, baby! If they can be restored and thus last longer, wouldn't that be a value to sell?

I have heard people say that shakes shouldn't be sealed because they need to swell with moisture to remain watertight. What do the woodies say?

I'm guessing that's an old wives tale if Roger and Celeste are currently doing a restoration.

The trick to maintaining them and actually helping them "live" longer is to use a non-drying oil, everytime it gets hot enough it will "move" inside the shake. RC is right; Chevron makes a roof oil, I am assuming it is not just P. oil. A treatment like this WILL help shakes last longer, as opposed to a surface finish which I doubt provides much help.

....But....In reality, treatment doesn't make them last THAT much longer. So in order to provide a useable service, your prices need to be fairly low. What I mean is, people aren't going to go for this as a details-job. Actually, the people I know that do this service a lot just spray bleach on the roofs and rinse it off--I don't think they really give it a "close" wash to bring back the natural color of the wood. Most people want them sealed with 'clear' anyways, so that the roof turns back to a grey color. Few will want them to look like new cedar.

Shakes should be maintain with a non-drying with a solid content of 75% or higher. Do not use a film forming finish. The shakes need to breath. Trapping moisture will cause problems for the roofing system.