Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Interesting lowballer info

Question

6 answers to this question

http://ad-rag.com/116459.php

Just thought I would share this with you all. It's not about pwing, but a lot of it still applies.

If you would stop complaining about *&^&*^&*% low ballers and get off your a** and do some actual work, then they wouldn't a problem would they?!?

:lgsideway

Many people define lowballing as the act of charging less than your competition. That's not an accurate definition. Lowballing is charging less than the fair market price. The difference between those two definitions is enormous.

I took this excerpt from the article. It's an interesting perspective, one with which I do not totally disagree. I notice so many guys get stuck on what they think might be fair pricing instead of being a business person and exploring what their market will bare. For the record I don't worry about what my competition is doing. Through careful financial planning coupled with expanding and repetitive marketing I doubt anyone can shake my tree, so to speak. What I do think about is raising the bar of public perception and having a business that will remain increasingly profitable.

If you would stop complaining about *&^&*^&*% low ballers and get off your a** and do some actual work, then they wouldn't a problem would they?!?

:lgsideway

Thanks for the moral support Phil

Most low-balling comes from an inexperienced and uneducated standpoint in which those who do so are not aware of the longterm detriments they are creating and possibly don't care because they are only in it for the short run anyway to pick up some extra cash.

We face the dilemma of their wave of cheap work and the repercussions resound into the faces of those who would be called upon to remedy the situation.

TGS has been a foreground of education to help those who are breaking into this field understand that costs are important in all aspects and to take them seriously even when giving a price for work. There are many who do not have the luxury of a pc and an internet connection who will go out and monkey see - monkey do till they either learn or fail.

The rest lies within each of us in our own locales to bring about consumer awareness and the detriment of hiring a low priced contractor.

Now get back to work! :whip:

Rod!~

I know when I started a few years ago, I did not know how to price and I researched through internet and a friend that had done the work several years before gave me a few guidelines, but were obsolete. I did not know about the forum or others, where to get chemicals, parts etc at reasonable pricing.

I did some work here and there and did an analysis of my costs, times involved, materials, and expected amount per hour based on some of the research and information.

I had a couple of people in the business, locally talk to me vaguely about pricing, the business etc but too many were cautious about me and my questions.

I have learned more from this forum than I expected and still dig through posts, photos etc and try to update my thinking, practices, chemicals etc each week to build a stronger foundation for business, with the best possible results.

I know I still have more to learn about this business and I frequently run into prospective customers that say: I have a guy that does it for half that amount, he is a full time ________ and does this (PW) on the side." or something similar.

Well, there have been many posts around that, and other similar comments, no need to rehash. They really don't bother me too much as I am more comfortable in what I know I should be charging for my service based on what I have learned here and with more experience. There are other ways to educate and demonstrate what quality cleaning with the right equipment and chemicals will do.